Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Powerewall Experience During Scheduled Grid Outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to provide some of my observations during a recent scheduled grid outage to replace some old power poles.

I have a 8.43kW array connected to Sunny Boy 6.0 (6kW max output) and a single Powerwall 2 / Gateway 1 (FW 22.1.1 and iOS app v4.6.1) in a partial home backup setup. Given this my system is certainly maxing out inverter and what PW is capable of managing and I had never tested the grid outage capability in extreme situations so was interested to see what would happen with this scheduled outage during during the day on what would be a good solar production day.

Power was cut about 9.30am so battery had started to charge and was @ ~70%. Battery continued to charge to ~80% during outage which seemed to coincide with ~3.4kW being sent to the battery (I think this is max allowed in "normal" operation). For next 4 hours house was using ~0.5kWh and inverter would cycle on for brief periods charging at rates in excess of 5kW (see first 2 pictures) and maintained a 80% charge. At about 2.45pm (battery still charged to about 80%) the inverter turned on permanently and seemed to charge Powerwall at rate of 5.2kW (see 3rd picture showing battery behaviour during the day). Power was restored about 3.30pm and about 5 min later normal operation reasumed.

During the day I was expecting the cycling of the solar as excess production was going to be > 5kW but the Powerwall did seem to accept the input for a few minutes and did not immediately shut down and certainly later in the day (@ ~2.45pm) it did allow 5.2kW continuously so I wonder if it was simply optimizing what is needed to do to balance need v pushing throughput to the extreme but at the same time making sure battery @ 100% at end of day... I also noticed from my Ting monitor (a great fire safety monitoring device I got from a partnership they have with my insurer, StateFarm) that the voltage was being allowed to vary significantly (see 4th picture); I suspect this is how Gateway / Powerwall manges the power throughput without exceeding the 30 amp maximum.

2A506BC7-5A93-4874-AD20-157CF53E7BE9_1_102_o.jpeg
88EF34D6-33F7-4F79-82A8-32CA2A6C6C59_1_102_o.jpeg
ADAAE752-717D-4AE7-ADE1-085D5CBD218C_1_102_o.jpeg
AA268387-F4E6-4680-B03D-EC10E1F26796_1_102_o.jpeg

It’s interesting that you posted this, because it sort of answers a question I had about a brief grid outage I experienced a short while ago. When it happened, the Tesla app seemed to be showing no solar production during the outage (sunny outside at the time). I was wondering if that was normal, but I can see from your photos that you had solar production during your outage.

So now the question is whether I really lost solar production, or that’s just what the app was showing. The grid outage was only 5 minutes, and the only reason I knew about it is because the UPS connected to my computer switched to battery mode (I didn’t get a notification from the Tesla app). From what I’ve seen in this forum, a UPS doesn’t handle the slight change in AC frequency that happens during an outage, so I suppose I should stop using it.

…When it happened, the Tesla app seemed to be showing no solar production during the outage (sunny outside at the time). I was wondering if that was normal, but I can see from your photos that you had solar production during your outage.

Have you tested being off grid when the battery is less than 90% and the sun is out to verify your solar will produce, as they should? If not you need to to verify correct operation.

When my PWs were installed, when off-grid, the system was shutting down solar production regardless of the battery’s SOC. It took them over a month to get it fixed, but it does now work properly.

To the original poster, I find it odd that it appears you were charging your batteries at > 5kW from 10:50 to 11:24, yet your battery’s SOC stayed at 79%! I would have expected it to have gone up to the mid to high 80’s In that time and at that charging level.

To the original poster, I find it odd that it appears you were charging your batteries at > 5kW from 10:50 to 11:24, yet your battery’s SOC stayed at 79%! I would have expected it to have gone up to the mid to high 80’s In that time and at that charging level.

The screen shots were just take at a time that the battery was charging (but just for a few minutes at that rate). I think it did this a few times between 10:50 and 11:24 but not continuously.

The reason I wasn’t seeing solar production during the grid outage yesterday was because my Powerwalls were at 100%, which I learned is expected behavior. Apparently the gateway shuts down solar production in that case because the electricity has nowhere to go.