Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Repairs - Half Shafts and Rear Camera - GREAT!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
We just got our Tesla S back after having the half shafts and jack staff replaced because of a rattling noise during hard acceleration, and while there, I asked them to check the rear camera because it seemed out of focus. They replaced that too.

The results of both were amazing. The car is now noticeably quieter all the time, specifically much less gear whine which has been there since the car was new. Both my wife and I noticed this immediately. And, the rattling on hard acceleration is gone too.

The rear camera and fascia were replaced and the difference is night and day. Before it was way out of focus and had been gradually getting worse over the last year or so. Now it is excellent. I really don't understand this since I'd think the whole thing was assembled together mechanically and couldn't move, but clearly something changed.

So... Anyone whose experiencing a metallic rattling on hard acceleration, don't hesitate, bring it in and get it fixed. Same thing if you've noticed your rear view camera getting fuzzy.

Thanks for your comments. I have had a vibration emanating from the front randomly but with increased frequency on my 12-17 MS75D (13k) and have been trying to isolate for my SC appt today. Your first thought would be wheel out of balance but it comes and goes driving straight at the same speed. I figure it has to be half shafts and or steering rack (air) as wheel has good 5 degrees of play off center.