TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Recent Repairs

Discussion in 'Model S' started by brantse, Jul 14, 2016.

1. brantse

brantse Member

May 18, 2015
    Somerset, PA
    Long story short, I finally had my car taken in for some relatively minor issues.

The first issue that came up months ago, was that one of my parking brake pads fell apart (lining fell off backing plate). Although just replacing the pads is a very minor thing, it appeared that the condition of the guide pins and caliper assembly was heavily corroded - likely caused it to stick, leading to the pad failure. So without hesitation Tesla replaced both parking brake calipers.

The second issue, which was a bit puzzling and concerning to me was that I noticed a lot of corrosion inside the front compartment area (inside wheel wells), where the radiator/cooler/condensers (not sure exactly their purposes) are mounted. I couldn't really tell where the source of the corrosion was, but it wasn't real pretty. Turns out that the technician noted "severe rust on the front carrier" and they replaced the "Carrier - Front Bumper (1005536-00-J)". Looking at this part, I had no idea how physically large it is and am shocked that this is what required replacing.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I'm sure that it's largely due to the accumulation of road salt/chemicals used during our NE winters.
  2. bwanapete

bwanapete New Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Manlius, NY
    How many winters has your car been through, and what year, and 2 or AWD? Front or rear brakes? I live in the most heavily salted part of NYS and in my ICE cars, salt-damaged brakes have always been a headache. Have a res for a 3 but might switch to an S.