Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent road trip - experience with auto steer and traffic aware cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, here is my dilemma when it comes to Cruise Control. When I am driving using the cruise control (1 click down on the stalk) in my city doing 45 mph, when I come to a lower speed limit sign area like 25 Mph, the car does not slow down. Is there a problem with my cruise or auto pilot?
Thanks in advance.

So, here is my dilemma when it comes to Cruise Control. When I am driving using the cruise control (1 click down on the stalk) in my city doing 45 mph, when I come to a lower speed limit sign area like 25 Mph, the car does not slow down. Is there a problem with my cruise or auto pilot?
Thanks in advance.
No. You need to use EAP/FSD for automatic speed changes.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I got my Tesla model3 awd month before last so I am a new driver. A few things i noticed on my recent LA to SF and back trip about auto steer and traffic aware cruise control:

Traffic aware cruise control sometimes seems to slow down gently and on other times maintains speed while approaching the vehicle in the lane and slows down very rapidly. Is this normal behavior?

During night time auto steer seems to do rapid regen/brakes when it is dark and the adjoining lane is occupied by trucks

I had several incidences of phantom breaking- more so when I was in the left most lane and it was quite annoying

I am wondering how folks deal with these quirks in the system. Do you use non traffic aware cruise control?
I dealt with these quirks by turning off autosteer for good. I use TACC rarely. My road trips are now less stressful for me and my passengers. No more "wtf are you doing??" " I'M.not doing anything."

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: chot2022
I dealt with these quirks by turning off autosteer for good. I use TACC rarely. My road trips are now less stressful for me and my passengers. I don't think there is a non traffic aware cc on the tesla but would like it.
After a month more and a few more road trips - I am using some thumb rules for when to use and when not to:

for example, auto steer in heavy LA traffic may not always be the best idea - especially because of hard breaking/regen can cause trouble for following cars.

On the free way in light traffic, it is quite useful - but in south cal region this is usually late night time. At times at late night car has given me errors in on the side cameras (self resolved in the day)

However, I have used the adaptive cruise control quite a bit more especially on long drives. Only problem is that it slows down quite bit behind slow traffic and makes it more difficult to over take after changing lane to the faster lane.

An observation is that wh/mile improves when i used the cruise control vs going full manual. Stop and go traffic makes the efficiency go to 300+ wh/mile. However Highway has given me better than city roads.

After a month more and a few more road trips - I am using some thumb rules for when to use and when not to:

for example, auto steer in heavy LA traffic may not always be the best idea - especially because of hard breaking/regen can cause trouble for following cars.

On the free way in light traffic, it is quite useful - but in south cal region this is usually late night time. At times at late night car has given me errors in on the side cameras (self resolved in the day)

However, I have used the adaptive cruise control quite a bit more especially on long drives. Only problem is that it slows down quite bit behind slow traffic and makes it more difficult to over take after changing lane to the faster lane.

An observation is that wh/mile improves when i used the cruise control vs going full manual. Stop and go traffic makes the efficiency go to 300+ wh/mile. However Highway has given me better than city roads.
I agree with everything you say and yes TACC improves range. I do still use it from time to time on freeways where I'm not changing lanes much. I wish they would get rid of that annoying chime when it turns on/off or turn down the volume.

I agree with everything you say and yes TACC improves range. I do still use it from time to time on freeways where I'm not changing lanes much. I wish they would get rid of that annoying chime when it turns on/off or turn down the volume.
:) I actually don't mind the chime that much - but isn't there a way to turn it off? Even though I am a minimalist guy and have grown used to the Tesla screen layout - I sometimes feel that cruise control indicator could be bolder and more explicit. It seems to me, for someone new to Tesla (like a renter) it might not be so obvious that TACC is on.

Last edited:
I have a 'heavy traffic' profile that I use. Not making excuses for any system/implementation/person here - I just find it makes my drive easier.

Try setting the acceleration profile to chill and follow distance to 5+. It makes the system much more enjoyable/comfortable for me and the occasional passenger in I-95 NOVA/DC traffic. If you create a new profile you can save these settings en bloc.

Otherwise you can try just hitting each one in your main profile when you hit traffic on the 405. Sure you get lane jumpers but if you really watch them they don't actually gain a whole lot by the time you get where you're going, if anything.

Last edited:
I have a "heavy traffic' profile that I use. Not making excuses for any system/implementation/person here - I just find it makes my drive easier.

Try setting the acceleration profile to chill and follow distance to 5+. It makes the system much more enjoyable/comfortable for me and the occasional passenger in I-95 NOVA/DC traffic. If you create a new profile you can save these settings en bloc.

Otherwise you can try just hitting each one in your main profile when you hit traffic on the 405. Sure you get lane jumpers but if you really watch them they don't actually gain a whole lot by the time you get where you're going, if anything.
This is a great suggestion! might be perfect for this traffic. I will try it.

I got my Tesla model3 awd month before last so I am a new driver. A few things i noticed on my recent LA to SF and back trip about auto steer and traffic aware cruise control:

Traffic aware cruise control sometimes seems to slow down gently and on other times maintains speed while approaching the vehicle in the lane and slows down very rapidly. Is this normal behavior?

During night time auto steer seems to do rapid regen/brakes when it is dark and the adjoining lane is occupied by trucks

I had several incidences of phantom breaking- more so when I was in the left most lane and it was quite annoying

I am wondering how folks deal with these quirks in the system. Do you use non traffic aware cruise control?
I personally find it less stressful too just to drive myself in traffic than be on edge waiting for a phantom braking issue to appear.
It has braked 5 or 6 times in the last 3mo. I love the car, but miss reliable plain cruse control. 2023 M3LR

Reactions: SalisburySam