Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Road Trip Report with Stats and photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just returned from a short road trip from our him in Swansea IL to visit family in Heber Springs Arkansas. This trip was a bit of a challenge given the lack of DCFC in that part of Arkansas. You can get IN but getting OUT is a challenge. For us, there is only one way IN/OUT and that is charging at the Miner MO SCer, and staying at a resort that has over a DOZEN Tesla Destination Chargers, more on that later. So here's how we did it and how it went:

Door to door the nav says it's 334 miles requiring a stop at the Miner MO SCer. It's 208 miles from the SCer to the resort we stayed at. This is that leg, temps were in the HIGH 90s and reached 100 degrees for a couple of hours on that 4-hour leg. Both legs took exactly 7 hours which included a 30-minute lunch/SC stop.
yBcXfzp.jpg

We found this resort/hotel from the Tesla Destination Charger map. It's on the Little Red River, the cabins are a little dated but very clean and the staff is super friendly and obviously EV supporters: Home | Lindsey's Resort | Little Red River

There were 4 (of the 12) Tesla HPWCs about 100 feet from our cabin. Our Y charging, how awesome to wake to a FULL charge (90%) and precondition the cabin before departing:
Nt4kb9E.jpg

During our 2+ days, we traveled over 200 miles to/from the resort.

We departed with a 100% charge as it was going to be brutally HOT again and I wanted a buffer for unknowns. We made it home in 7 hours and here are the final tallies for our 870 mini road trip:
kppe2Rg.jpg

We charged twice at the Miner MO SCer. On the OUT leg, there were only two Tesla charging, and on our trip home we were the only Tesla charging. I guess the folks in Calif would be envious. The SCer is located in the parking lot of a fabulous Mexican restaurant - Home - El Bracero Mexican Given our SOC needs and charging speeds on the V2 chargers we had just enough time for a great lunch and were in and out in 30 minutes.

Each leg was just at 7 hours so even in an ICE vehicle we still would have needed to stop for lunch. So for this particular trip, an EV was just as fast as ANY ICE. Our total SC costs came to $31. So we traveled 870 miles for $31. If an ICE vehicle averaged 25 MPG it would have consumed 34 gallons of gas, at $4.75 per gal they would have spent over $160 for gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just returned from a short road trip from our him in Swansea IL to visit family in Heber Springs Arkansas. This trip was a bit of a challenge given the lack of DCFC in that part of Arkansas. You can get IN but getting OUT is a challenge. For us, there is only one way IN/OUT and that is charging at the Miner MO SCer, and staying at a resort that has over a DOZEN Tesla Destination Chargers, more on that later. So here's how we did it and how it went:

Door to door the nav says it's 334 miles requiring a stop at the Miner MO SCer. It's 208 miles from the SCer to the resort we stayed at. This is that leg, temps were in the HIGH 90s and reached 100 degrees for a couple of hours on that 4-hour leg. Both legs took exactly 7 hours which included a 30-minute lunch/SC stop.
yBcXfzp.jpg

We found this resort/hotel from the Tesla Destination Charger map. It's on the Little Red River, the cabins are a little dated but very clean and the staff is super friendly and obviously EV supporters: Home | Lindsey's Resort | Little Red River

There were 4 (of the 12) Tesla HPWCs about 100 feet from our cabin. Our Y charging, how awesome to wake to a FULL charge (90%) and precondition the cabin before departing:
Nt4kb9E.jpg

During our 2+ days, we traveled over 200 miles to/from the resort.

We departed with a 100% charge as it was going to be brutally HOT again and I wanted a buffer for unknowns. We made it home in 7 hours and here are the final tallies for our 870 mini road trip:
kppe2Rg.jpg

We charged twice at the Miner MO SCer. On the OUT leg, there were only two Tesla charging, and on our trip home we were the only Tesla charging. I guess the folks in Calif would be envious. The SCer is located in the parking lot of a fabulous Mexican restaurant - Home - El Bracero Mexican Given our SOC needs and charging speeds on the V2 chargers we had just enough time for a great lunch and were in and out in 30 minutes.

Each leg was just at 7 hours so even in an ICE vehicle we still would have needed to stop for lunch. So for this particular trip, an EV was just as fast as ANY ICE. Our total SC costs came to $31. So we traveled 870 miles for $31. If an ICE vehicle averaged 25 MPG it would have consumed 34 gallons of gas, at $4.75 per gal they would have spent over $160 for gas.
Nice writeup! Looks like a nice place to stay. I took delivery 6 Jun 20 and my stat's are almost exactly the same... :)
tempImageiQq3Pm.png

The SCer is located in the parking lot of a fabulous Mexican restaurant - Home - El Bracero Mexican Given our SOC needs and charging speeds on the V2 chargers we had just enough time for a great lunch and were in and out in 30 minutes.
Cool! Thanks for the tip! We stop at the Miner SC regularly on our run from NE Mississippi to Morris IL (on I-80 a little west of Chicago) to see the grandkids. Always wondered if that restaurant was any good. We’ve refined our road trip style to the point where we rarely charge for more than 20 minutes, but maybe we’ll make an exception one of these times. Thanks again!

How much of the charge used was from home/the resort? I'm guessing only a fraction of the charge used on the drive was actually from a supercharger since the average cost of electricity, ~$.30/kWh would cost you $69.
Since OP’s SC cost was $31 rather than $69, SC accounted for about 45% of the total charge. So more than half of the juice came from destination chargers.

Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
How much of the charge used was from home/the resort? I'm guessing only a fraction of the charge used on the drive was actually from a supercharger since the average cost of electricity, ~$.30/kWh would cost you $69.
My bad, I spent $35.60 for my Super Charging stops. The rest of the energy came from Home (12 cents per kWh and FREE Destination Charging).
bWdDtn6.png

No matter how you slice it, it's still considerably less than any ICE vehicle and my elapsed time was the same given the car had notified us it was ready while we were still eating. I actually OVER CHARGED both times by about 4 or 5 minutes.

Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
My bad, I spent $35.60 for my Super Charging stops. The rest of the energy came from Home (12 cents per kWh and FREE Destination Charging).
bWdDtn6.png

No matter how you slice it, it's still considerably less than any ICE vehicle and my elapsed time was the same given the car had notified us it was ready while we were still eating. I actually OVER CHARGED both times by about 4 or 5 minutes.
Nice thanks for sharing! I am always curious how the battery holds up on long trips. I took a trip for MDW from North Jersey to Lake George, NY (197mi) in my M3P. I charged 100% from home when I left and made it there after traffic and pit stops in about 4 hours and 25% left. Kept the car around 70-75mph the whole way and temperatures were 85-90s.

While there, I went and charged it at a nearby station when the battery went below 20% and then again on the way home at New Paltz. The last day of my trip, I noticed the resort next door had tesla chargers and they were nice enough to let me charge my car for around an hour half (while I was having lunch prior to departing), but unfortunately it was limited to12 Amps so I didnt get much juice.

Here's the charging costs at the SC's, a little bit pricier up here per kWh.
1656263384586.png

Attachments

• 1656263321746.png
    1656263321746.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 73
Nice thanks for sharing! I am always curious how the battery holds up on long trips. I took a trip for MDW from North Jersey to Lake George, NY (197mi) in my M3P. I charged 100% from home when I left and made it there after traffic and pit stops in about 4 hours and 25% left. Kept the car around 70-75mph the whole way and temperatures were 85-90s.

While there, I went and charged it at a nearby station when the battery went below 20% and then again on the way home at New Paltz. The last day of my trip, I noticed the resort next door had tesla chargers and they were nice enough to let me charge my car for around an hour half (while I was having lunch prior to departing), but unfortunately it was limited to12 Amps so I didnt get much juice.

View attachment 821304
Use Plugshare so you know exactly where all the available chargers are! Makes planning even easier....

View attachment 821304
I took delivery of my Model Y LR on Mar 30th, and 3 days later took it on a 1600+ mi road trip (each way) from Seattle to Southern NM. I don't have stats and screenshots, unfortunately, but I ran into no issues with the battery or charging on the trip. Typically, my charge stops were 15-20 min...about as long as I would normally spend on a gas station stop in an ICE vehicle. There was only one stop that had me charge for 50 min...but I cut it short and charged at another charger on down the road. I found that Tesla's route planner isn't the best, and plan to use "A Better Route Planner" for my next road trip. Other than Tesla's map wanting me to charge longer instead of more frequently, I found the entire experience to be EXTREMELY pleasant, and not at all stressful. Best part was, even with "high" costs of charging at superchargers, the entire trip (both ways, plus driving in town) was only about $350 total. Less than half what I usually spend in gas on a trip like that!