Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent screen "crash"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since getting 2019.8.3, I've had the main screen 'crash' (go black) while driving on 2 occasions within 1 week. I perhaps didn't wait long enough for it to restart on it's own so in both cases, I ended up doing the 2 button reset and it eventually rebooted and was fine the rest of that trip.

Anyone else experience this behavior?

I did do a 'bug report' but I've found those to be of inconsistent value; recently my car was in for service on another issue and they asked me when the concern(s) had happened. In all those cases I said I filed a but report but the service folks did not seem able to locate specific logs FWIW.

Mostly just curious if others with this software have seen this happen. That and the return of the delayed (black screen) backup camera makes this release seem to be a little less stable for me...

Reactions: JeffK
So, mine hasn't crashed while actually driving but since the recent update the screen has had to reboot when I have left the car for short periods of time after driving. I've stopped at convenience stores, gone in and been back within just a few minutes only to jump back in the car to a black screen and have to wait for it to reboot. The car did go into reverse and drive though, even during the reboot. It's never done this prior to the update to 2019.8.3.

So, mine hasn't crashed while actually driving but since the recent update the screen has had to reboot when I have left the car for short periods of time after driving. I've stopped at convenience stores, gone in and been back within just a few minutes only to jump back in the car to a black screen and have to wait for it to reboot. The car did go into reverse and drive though, even during the reboot. It's never done this prior to the update to 2019.8.3.

Same here

Lord, I hope that bug isn’t back. Prior to 2019.5.15 that was happening to me every other drive. I have been experiencing variable frequency of that one since I bought over a year ago.

Happened today while using navigation and streaming Pandora. Loud static screech (the sound an amp makes when shorting out) and the screen went black.

It was likely 10-15 seconds before the self reboot. I used the turn signal stalk to change lanes while it was out; no indication in the car but I hope the signals worked externally.

I've had 2 situations since loading 8.3 where I tried to open the car and it didn't respond to a push on the door handle - needed to try like 3 times and eventually it "woke up" and unlocked the door. Hadn't had that happen but 2 or 3 times over the previous 6 months.

Also, I had one situation where I got in to drive and the screen locked on me - just froze. Did the 2-finger salute to reboot it and was back in business.

For me, this happened with both 2019.5.15 and now with 2019.8.3 even after hard resets

It occurs for me while driving and on autopilot.

Once, with 2019.8.3 I've had the car not wake up after getting in the car. Had to hard reset twice to get the screen to even turn on.

2019.8.3 and experienced my screen flashing until I played around with the map. I also had some black lines on the screen. I did my first reset ever after 10,000 miles and it fixed the issue.