Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent service experience good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s been a lot of complaining on the forums about changes to Tesla service. I admit it’s disconcerting to make a service request through the app, you don’t get to discuss what the problem might be or receive any other feedback. I recently went through the process twice and was happy both times.

Our Model S had a slow coolant leak. I made the request through the app and received a service appointment at the local center. Before I went a service technician had read the vehicles logs, remotely diagnosed it and made sure the likely parts (4 way valve) were in stock. They fixed it fast and were friendly, reasonable and competent.

While the S was being serviced they let me know the hardware 3.0 FSD computer was available for our Model 3. Again used the app and a few days later a friendly and competent mobile technician took care of it in my garage. Communication just before, during and after the service was great.

Same here. Our cars haven't needed much in the way of service, but in May we upgraded our X to HW3. In April, we updated our 3 to HW3. In March, we had a flat tire.

Each time an appointment was available quickly, communication was good, they were ready on time, they had loaner cars available, and the work was done fast and friendly.

I agree that it would be nice to talk to somebody on the phone before the appointment...but aside from that, things are great.

There’s been a lot of complaining on the forums about changes to Tesla service. I admit it’s disconcerting to make a service request through the app, you don’t get to discuss what the problem might be or receive any other feedback. I recently went through the process twice and was happy both times.

Our Model S had a slow coolant leak. I made the request through the app and received a service appointment at the local center. Before I went a service technician had read the vehicles logs, remotely diagnosed it and made sure the likely parts (4 way valve) were in stock. They fixed it fast and were friendly, reasonable and competent.

While the S was being serviced they let me know the hardware 3.0 FSD computer was available for our Model 3. Again used the app and a few days later a friendly and competent mobile technician took care of it in my garage. Communication just before, during and after the service was great.

Good to hear. Which Service Center did you visit?

I had a mobile service appointment to fix the rear trunk latch on my Model S a couple weeks ago. Not a major operation, but it was my first time scheduling a mobile service via the app. It was actually pretty smooth, the tech arrived on-time with the right parts, and he got all the required work done. I suppose it helped that I had the same problem four years ago (and could cross-reference the work order) and it's a pretty common problem on that vintage Model S. Overall a flawless operation from my viewpoint.

Bruce.

Recent service experience:

Created on 09May via app an appointment for 13May. App only allowed mobile ranger as a choice (I was picking from 'other' as the service category). Was looking to have IC replaced due to glue/bubbles and underbody aero shield replaced.
On 10May and 11May, suffered failures of firmware to update.
On 12May in the AM, receive txt from Tesla that the work in the request must be done at service center, so to give time for parts arrival, appt bumped to 20May AM. I mention the firmware failure, person on the other end of txt adds it to the notes.
On 18May, Tesla calls (!) to get clarification on the appt issues, and once the worker on the phone understands there are firmware failures, he passes the review onto a virtual team to look at logs, and claims they have a min 48 hr turnaround, so appt is delayed to 26May AM. Receive invoice/estimate for approval prior to appt.
On 18May in the late PM, the firmware installs itself.
On 20May, front passenger door handle fails (the usual failure, motor is running but does not present). Respond to service txt to say "remove firmware, add door handle".
On 20May in PM, receive txt with a phone number and extension to call. Call, give clarification the door handle failure, notes on service appt updated. Invoice removed from inside app.
On 25May, receive txt from Tesla that parts still not available (not sure if this is still from the original request, or if the door handle is now the part not available), so appt moved to 02Jun AM. Do not receive new invoice to approve prior to appt.
On 02Jun, drive to Tesla SC (40 miles one-way). Loaner available (but battery only at 50%), expect that work will not be complete before close of business. Loaner is almost identical in age (I have 85D w/ VIN in 85k range, loaner was 85D w/ VIN in 83k, had 3k more miles). Loaner had glue/bubbles on the IC (one of the items I was having worked) and estimated range was 4 miles higher at 80%.
On 03Jun, get notice in AM that work is complete. Drive, return loaner, pick up car. IC looks great, and invoice reveals I get my first Gen3 door handle (prior 3 had all been Gen2/2.5 reworks with the "less-stressed" wire package).

Takeaways:
Zero complaints about Service Center staff, and still have never been denied a loaner for work requiring more than 2 hrs.
Tesla (service center? ranger? some centralized location?) does not look at what parts are needed or what's available for the appt until 48 hrs prior. If there is anything out-of-sort, appt is auto-delayed one week.
Service center waiting room closed, so could not have worked remotely if needed.
Battery for my vehicle was not charged overnight, so picked up at ~60%.

Did you have a loaner? Was it locked in chill mode? I just read on my local Facebook owners group that at least our local service centers are locking the loaners in chill mode. One person even got a P100DL locked in chill. What a disappointment and a waste. My car has needed service more than I'd have liked and now I have a loaner locked in chill to look forward to next time I need to go in.

We must now divide service events into 3 levels for Teslas: service center visits, mobile visits, and virtual visits.

One of my most recent events was scheduling a service center visit to repair the MCU crashes that started happening with my 2014 MS. I feared the $3000 MCU1 replacement charge; but they were able to remotely log into my car, diagnose the problem, and repair it remotely over the course of a day...no charge. Never even had to take it in.

Now, THAT is service!

We thought we had a problem (or rather Tesla did) with a camera. Scheduled an appointment as per the Tesla chat persons recommendation. Problem went away with a software update but the Tesla rep wanted the service tech to check it anyway. Tech came out, all was well, and while he was there I picked his brain on an intermittent rattle we had on the dash. He pulled it apart (really fast...almost scary) put something in some strategic places and we went for another drive. Fixed. Totally happy. Beats Nissan service all to hell.

I am hours from a service center. Last time I scheduled service for what I was sure was MCU on the way out they ended up tempting in and fixing it for free.

Had a maps failure to load error, that turned out to be a corruption in the map SD card, they repartitioned and resolved remotely.

Now before that was suspension issues which took a week of waiting on parts, and they failed to find a link that is getting worse. I got a loaner for that which was a year newer than my car BUT next time I will press for something newer yet. Was cold and the batterygate/chargegate crap made the trip longer than necessary. 40kw doesn't add up to much when you make a quick stop at Chick-fil-A.

Did you have a loaner? Was it locked in chill mode? I just read on my local Facebook owners group that at least our local service centers are locking the loaners in chill mode. One person even got a P100DL locked in chill. What a disappointment and a waste. My car has needed service more than I'd have liked and now I have a loaner locked in chill to look forward to next time I need to go in.

Yes, the loaner this month and my previous service loaner from last June/Julyish? was also locked in chill mode.

Yes, the loaner this month and my previous service loaner from last June/Julyish? was also locked in chill mode.

Well that's annoying. But another poster said they gave him a P100D unlocked. Seems like it might be up to the service centers since none of the loaners I've had (as recently as February) have ever been locked. Seems like my local service centers is starting to lock them though.