Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent service visit and balloon squeal stance... overall good experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 March delivery with about 33k+ miles

Never had the balloon squeal in my car even in full acceleration, but about recently in the last maybe 5-10k it showed up and I started to hear it on a particular onramp to the freeway that I always floor it on because it's long and has an incline.

It's never been a big deal, but finally decided to take it in because of my regular list of little things that make it worth calling in for service.

Formal Response from service center: It's a known concern, with no solution, but it's not an issue.

- Verified clients concern, Road tested vehicle on freeway and under hard acceleration (320Kwh), the main power switches inside the High Voltage battery might vibrate as large amounts of current flow from the battery to the motor. These vibrations might result in a squealing sound. Both the vibrations and the squealing sound have been validated to be normal characteristics of operation, and do not indicate any kind of fault, problem or defect in the safe and reliable operation of the power train. The system is operating as expected and no repairs are necessary.

I had other work done under warranty.
- Liftgate strut was leaking and making noise when the trunk would close, so they replaced it.
- Rain/Light/Solar/& humidity sensor was replaced (I expressed really poor functionality of the intermittent wipers, Setting 1 would go faster then Setting 2 and even when there was little to no rain it would still go.) Now that I know it's all the same sensor, makes sense about another issue I had which was the car would not come out of night mode, even though it was daytime outside after pulling out of the garage. Will have to check if that is resolved too.
- Door Handle Seals - replaced or added, as I was feeling a slight draft from the door. They noticed that the backing seals for the door handle was coming apart/loose. There's a service bulletin for this, so they "fixed" all 4 doors.

I got a loaner, it wasn't a D, it was just a P85+ with a lot of creaks, but I'm glad to have gotten a loaner. About a little over a month out in scheduling appointments. Nothing I had was major, so no big deal in waiting. Kept me up to date and everything resolved under warranty.

Here's my list of issues since getting the car, which is the only thing that concerns me, because I think I'll be out of warranty in about another year.... hopefully all the issues show up before then, because I don't think the ESC is worth it for the cost and the deductible. I have a feeling I'm going to regret that this time.... but with my relative mileage, I'd probably get 4 years out of it...

- TPMS replaced
- 3 door handles replaced (one of them twice)
- Sunroof sealing changed
- tail light moisture
- lots of creaking that hasn't come back since they resolved it
- floormats changed
- lift gate strut
- rain sensor
- door handle seal

This list of stuff is more than any of my other cars I've had before in the first 2 years of ownership, but I'm okay with it for now and eager to put down a deposit on a Model 3. Here's hoping they extend the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty to the rest of the car or bring down the ESC pricing and remove the deductible. One can wish right?