Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Software "Downgrades"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the greatest things about a Tesla is, of course, the software upgrades. However, after just installing HW3 and then getting the latest upgrade software 2020.12 I have noticed several downgrades and would love to hear anyone else's issues. I have an AWD Model 3 with acceleration boost.
1. Following distance has worsened, even on setting of 1. There is a ridiculous and untenable following distance at normal highway speeds now which just engenders upset drivers behind you and people cutting in front. This is distinctly worse than previous versions.
2. Initiated Lane change has significantly slowed in autopilot. They had improved this last year dramatically, but now that improvement seems to be gone. This is even true in MadMax mode.
3. When initiating TACC or Autopilot, there used to be an offset setting for how many miles over the speed limit you wanted to be at, but this is now gone and the most the car will go is the speed limit until you initiate upward.
4. Chromium browser no longer allows sing-in to Google or Youtube account, indicating the browser is not compatible for security purposes. A real bummer , as it precludes a lot of the functionality.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences. Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
1. Following distance has worsened, even on setting of 1. There is a ridiculous and untenable following distance at normal highway speeds now which just engenders upset drivers behind you and people cutting in front. This is distinctly worse than previous versions.

This has been the case for me since last year. I got the HW3 upgrade a month ago and haven't noticed much of a difference.

At this point, I've gotten used to keeping my foot on the accelerator most of the time when on AP to forcefully decrease the following distance. It's not the best solution, but it at least keeps drivers behind me from getting too frustrated and swerving past like they used to after the update.

Reactions: Mr Toad
mad max does not effect lane change speed . only for nav on ap . a simple reset before driving AP ? have you made sure your cameras are clean by looking at recent clips ?

Yes, you are right. Alsas, when they upgraded the lane change speed it never upgraded for NOA. I know Mad Max does not affect this but wanted to indicate to people who did that this was tried as well. And yes, we have great California weather with no obstruction of the cameras! Thanks for the ideas!

This has been the case for me since last year. I got the HW3 upgrade a month ago and haven't noticed much of a difference.

At this point, I've gotten used to keeping my foot on the accelerator most of the time when on AP to forcefully decrease the following distance. It's not the best solution, but it at least keeps drivers behind me from getting too frustrated and swerving past like they used to after the update.

Yep, it is just unfortunate that this had to happen as it negates some of the benefit of autopilot and certainly NOA.

I suspect the greater appearance of downgrades is a combination of increasing rates of HW3 deployment with a lull in new software rollout. I got HW3 upgrade on Wednesday. Was on 8.1 before chip swap, left shop on 4.1. Assume that would look like a downgrade on Teslafi.

1. Connect Tesla to wifi.
2. Open web browser to plex.com
3. Login to plex using your google account (don't need a plex account).
4. After login to plex, redirect browser to youtube.com (should also be logged in with your google account).
5. Open YouTube app from Entertainment menu (app should now be logged in with your google account).

One of the greatest things about a Tesla is, of course, the software upgrades. However, after just installing HW3 and then getting the latest upgrade software 2020.12 I have noticed several downgrades and would love to hear anyone else's issues. I have an AWD Model 3 with acceleration boost.
2. Initiated Lane change has significantly slowed in autopilot. They had improved this last year dramatically, but now that improvement seems to be gone. This is even true in MadMax mode.
3. When initiating TACC or Autopilot, there used to be an offset setting for how many miles over the speed limit you wanted to be at, but this is now gone and the most the car will go is the speed limit until you initiate upward.
4. Chromium browser no longer allows sing-in to Google or Youtube account, indicating the browser is not compatible for security purposes. A real bummer , as it precludes a lot of the functionality.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences. Thanks

OK, here are my thoughts. :)

1. I think the following distance settings are appropriate. I like that they give you a choice for traffic conditions. I have driven the Five, so I understand OP's concerns. When traffic is heavy, CA drivers become especially aggressive. In those situations where I was having difficulty 'defending' my space I would deselect AP and TACC. They are fine for I-10 in FL in most cases ;)

2. When I first received my car, before 2020.4 I though the lane change function was too timid. After 2020.8 I thought they over corrected and made it too abrupt. I like it now, decisive enough for my taste, but still smooth.

3. I need to double check, but I'm pretty sure the mph offset is still there. But, my offset is only 3 mph. Perhaps there is a limit to how high you can go now - like maybe +20 will no longer work. :rolleyes:

4. N/A to me.

I don't know if Tesla folks follow these threads, but they probably do drop in. I want to make sure they see both sides. Cheers!

Reactions: Mr Toad