Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent software tweaks increasing range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has announced several software tweaks to increase range even further. Long Range S is now reported at 373 miles up from 370. Does anyone know if these tweaks can or will be rolled out to existing fleet? I have 2016.5 75 and would always appreciate a few more miles.

I have a Long Range Raven Model X which I got about a month ago. The range was listed as 325 miles on the website. Currently, the range is listed as 328 miles on the website. My car currently charges to 327 miles. When I first got it, it would "only" charge to 324 miles. Currently running V 2019.32.12.2 software, which came out before the range increase announcement.

The cars display of full charge range could be complete fiction and have no relevance to either the range that you will live with or perhaps even battery degradation (displayed range is surely useless on my car).
I would be more interested in owners experiences of actual achieved range. Of course nobody drives their car from 100% to 0% (or anywhere near 0%). So full charge range needs to be calculated from battery usage percent on shorter trips. You need three numbers: Miles driven, Battery percent at start. Battery percent at end. Subtract the battery percents and divide that number into the miles driven and you have your real full charge range. For example, if you start at 80%, go 110 miles and finish with 30% you would have: 110 divided by (80%-30%). 50% is actually 0.5. So 110 miles divided by 0.5 is 220 miles. (This is what my S 90D would show if I drove modestly. Even though the displayed full charge range is 275-280 miles)

If you got a software update that increased your displayed full charge range, chances are that they simply decided to use a smaller watthours per mile value for the calculation. This means that if you drive even more gently, you can get more range. Duh. There is a small chance that the increased range came from changing the charging parameters to a higher limiting full charge voltage, or a lower cut-off voltage. For dual motor cars, increased range could possibly be achieved by changing the balance between front and rear motor loads. But all of these things should have been optimized by now.

I would experience a real world range increase if Tesla is able to increase the efficiency of my motor. If I normally expend 300wh/mi on a drive and Tesla can somehow reduce that to 295 I get increased range and would be excited about that. I doubt seriously that is possible on my 2016.5 S75.