Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Supercharger openings in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why haven’t there been any new posts on any new Supercharger in over a week?
That is not correct. The second Thousand Oaks Supercharger opened on August 3, and the San Diego A Street Supercharger opened on July 27.

As to why other Supercharger sites that are currently under contruction in California have not yet opened, that is due to a multiplicity of reasons, only some of which are publicly known. If you read through the threads on the Superchargers currently under construction, those reasons will hopefully be apparent to you.

Last edited:
The pace of supercharger development everywhere has dropped dramatically over the last month. One could speculate that it is part of the new policy to be profitable each quarter. While we there may not be many new ones going into permitting or construction, we could get 6-7 new openings in California over the next month or so.

The pace of supercharger development everywhere has dropped dramatically over the last month. One could speculate that it is part of the new policy to be profitable each quarter. While we there may not be many new ones going into permitting or construction, we could get 6-7 new openings in California over the next month or so.

If anyone has the pulse on Supercharger openings, it is emupilot.

Moreover, as of today, most of California has pretty gosh darn good coverage. Interstates 15, 80, and 5 have redundancy to eliminate long waits. The metro areas of Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay/Peninsula/East Bay have adequate coverage. (Sure, it could be better, but it is decent.) San Diego could use more, but hope is on the horizon.

One could also speculate that Tesla is figuring out which deliveries during the next two quarters will need the most Supercharger coverage, and is delaying pulling the trigger until the geography is known. In the meanwhile, Tesla can sock away some of the cash from the Model 3 sales and use it in 2019.

Reactions: emupilot
The Carlsbad, San Jose, Milpitas, and San Ramon superchargers should at least temporarily relieve congestion at some of the busiest sites (San Diego - Qualcomm, Dublin, Fremont, various South Bay sites) once they are operational. Tesla is presumably getting more reliable data on Model 3 supercharger usage - perhaps they use superchargers far less than S/X since it isn't free. Given that Model 3 will soon be ubiquitous in California though (I'm already seeing as many 3's as S) I am concerned that whatever the reason for the slower supercharger development Tesla will be more reactive than proactive about congestion relief at least in the short term.

I have understood that the 3 is not so much a touring car as the S is. With that in mind, and knowing that Superchargers are for long distance traveling, Model 3s should mostly be using their own garages.

This is outside the fact that there were many owners who thought they deserved to charge their car at the local supercharger because it was free. In my experience, Free always means someone will abuse it, and they do. I am glad to hear that supercharging is going to be billed, and now to hear that superchargers are not being built out to offer supercharging to a few million Model 3 drivers that just want convenience charging because they don't want to pay an electrician to put in a 14-50 outlet. No one ever expected to get free gasoline for their ICE cars.

The Carlsbad, San Jose, Milpitas, and San Ramon superchargers should at least temporarily relieve congestion at some of the busiest sites (San Diego - Qualcomm, Dublin, Fremont, various South Bay sites) once they are operational. Tesla is presumably getting more reliable data on Model 3 supercharger usage - perhaps they use superchargers far less than S/X since it isn't free. Given that Model 3 will soon be ubiquitous in California though (I'm already seeing as many 3's as S) I am concerned that whatever the reason for the slower supercharger development Tesla will be more reactive than proactive about congestion relief at least in the short term.

Carlsbad MIGHT relieve Qualcomm crowding. My bet is that it doesn’t. I suspect both sites will be pretty full most of the time. We’ll know in about a month.

If anyone has the pulse on Supercharger openings, it is emupilot.

Moreover, as of today, most of California has pretty gosh darn good coverage. Interstates 15, 80, and 5 have redundancy to eliminate long waits. The metro areas of Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay/Peninsula/East Bay have adequate coverage. (Sure, it could be better, but it is decent.) San Diego could use more, but hope is on the horizon.

One could also speculate that Tesla is figuring out which deliveries during the next two quarters will need the most Supercharger coverage, and is delaying pulling the trigger until the geography is known. In the meanwhile, Tesla can sock away some of the cash from the Model 3 sales and use it in 2019.

I agree the situation has gotten a lot better for California in the past year, but if they needed to prioritize efforts on delivery and away from Superchargers, why be so shortsighted as to update the Supercharger maps recently in late May with a bunch of new "coming" sites, including a number that aggressively claim completion by Summer 2018:
Adin, CA
Almaden, CA
Antioch, CA
Big Sur, CA
Bishop, CA
Carmel Mountain, CA
Chino Hills, CA
Costa Mesa, CA
Greenville, CA
Livermore, CA
Los Altos, CA
Marina Del Rey, CA
Mariposa, CA
Montebello, CA
Newell, CA
Ojai, CA
Pacific Palisades, CA
Palm Springs, CA
Rohnert Park, CA
San Diego, CA (Mission Valley)
San Jose (South), CA
San Ysidro, CA
Sonora, CA
Susanville, CA
Watsonville, CA
Westwood, CA
Williams, CA
Woodland, CA

That is just offering false hope that they then yank away not even three months later?

I agree the situation has gotten a lot better for California in the past year, but if they needed to prioritize efforts on delivery and away from Superchargers, why be so shortsighted as to update the Supercharger maps recently in late May with a bunch of new "coming" sites, including a number that aggressively claim completion by Summer 2018:
Adin, CA
Almaden, CA
Antioch, CA
Big Sur, CA
Bishop, CA
Carmel Mountain, CA
Chino Hills, CA
Costa Mesa, CA
Greenville, CA
Livermore, CA
Los Altos, CA
Marina Del Rey, CA
Mariposa, CA
Montebello, CA
Newell, CA
Ojai, CA
Pacific Palisades, CA
Palm Springs, CA
Rohnert Park, CA
San Diego, CA (Mission Valley)
San Jose (South), CA
San Ysidro, CA
Sonora, CA
Susanville, CA
Watsonville, CA
Westwood, CA
Williams, CA
Woodland, CA

That is just offering false hope that they then yank away not even three months later?

Daly City should be on this list, target is Summer 2018.

What?? Sonora is getting a supercharger? That's news! (I have a cabin in Sonora)

Checking that list you made, most are NOT for Summer 2018, though my Alameda is:

Adin, CA 2019
Almaden, CA. Summer 2018 √
Antioch, CA. Fall 2018
Big Sur, CA. Fall 2018
Bishop, CA. 2019
Carmel Mountain, CA. 2019
Chino Hills, CA. 2019
Costa Mesa, CA 2019
Greenville, CA 2019
Livermore, CA Summer 2018 √
Los Altos, CA. Summer 2018 √
Marina Del Rey, CA. 2019
Mariposa, CA 2019
Montebello, CA 2019
Newell, CA 2019
Ojai, CA 2019
Pacific Palisades, CA Fall 2018
Palm Springs, CA. Fall 2018
Rohnert Park, CA. Fall 2018
San Diego, CA (Mission Valley) 2019
San Jose (South), CA Summer 2018 √
San Ysidro, CA 2019
Sonora, CA 2019
Susanville, CA 2019
Watsonville, CA. Fall 2018
Westwood, CA 2019
Williams, CA 2019
Woodland, CA Fall 2018

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
So, as of right now:

Northern California
2018:
Castro Valley, Chico, Folsom, Fresno, Half Moon Bay, Hayward, Kirkwood, Laytonville, Mendocino, Merced, Oakland, Redding, Richmond, San Francisco, SF Financial District, SF Mission, SF SOMA, South San Francisco, San Mateo, San Rafael, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, Sonoma, Stockton, Vallejo, Visalia, Walnut Creek, Yuba City
Summer 2018:
Alameda, Almaden, Daly City, Dublin, Emeryville, Livermore, Los Altos, Los Gatos, Marin City, Milpitas, Mountain View, Sacramento, San Carlos, San Jose, San Jose (South), San Ramon, Woodside
Fall 2018:
Antioch, Big Sur, Rohnert Park, Watsonville, Woodland
2019:
Adin, Bishop, Greenville, Mariposa, Newall, Sonora, Susanville, Williams

Southern California
2018:
Anaheim, Bakersfield, Beverly Hills, Brea, Calabasas, Cambria, Cerritos, Chula Vista, Commerce, Corona, Dana Point, Del Mar, El Cajon, Escondido, Hesperia, Highland, Hollywood, Indio, Irvine, Kramer Junction, Lakewood, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Mission Viejo, Mojave, Moreno Valley, Northridge, Ontario, Palmdale, Palm Desert, Pasadena, Playa Vista, Pomona, Redondo Beach, San Diego-La Jolla, San Dimas, Santa Barbara, Sherman Oaks, Simi Valley, Studio City, Tustin, Venice, Ventura, Vista, West Covina
Summer 2018:
Carlsbad, Fontana
Fall 2018:
Huntington Beach, Pacific Palisades, Palm Springs, Santa Monica, Westminster
2019:
Carmel Mountain, Chino Hills, Costa Mesa, Marina Del Rey, Montebello, Ojai, San Diego-Mission Valley, San Ysidro, Westwood

-Randy

I have understood that the 3 is not so much a touring car as the S is. With that in mind, and knowing that Superchargers are for long distance traveling, Model 3s should mostly be using their own garages.

Umm. The Model 3 is the BEST touring car as it spends the LEAST amount of time at a Supercharger (per mile). The problem is not road trippers but as you said, people who have free supercharging and think they should just charge at the Superchargers in their city instead of at home. So for that, yes, Model 3's WILL probably be charging in their garage as they (mostly) have to pay to charge.

-Randy

Tesla has been dangling their planned Supercharger openings in front of us like a carrot since 2014. They have executed quite well at times, but all too often they have been kicking the can down the road. See Interstate 90 between Billings, Montana and Minneapolis. See Interstate 10 and Fort Stockton. There are other locations as well.

The myriad reasons for Supercharger openings that are delayed or deferred are beyond the scope of this segment. Tesla has always been overly sanguine about Supercharger openings to the dismay or disappointment of many buyers. One of the things we have learned over the years about Tesla: The only thing certain about Tesla is change!

We have also discussed in another thread that a few planned locations in California (Newell, Adin, Greenville among others) seem misplaced or along the less-frequently traveled road that is already served by locations already in place (K-Falls) or planned (Chico, Susanville, Yuba City) for example.

Tesla has been dangling their planned Supercharger openings in front of us like a carrot since 2014. They have executed quite well at times, but all too often they have been kicking the can down the road. See Interstate 90 between Billings, Montana and Minneapolis. See Interstate 10 and Fort Stockton. There are other locations as well.

The myriad reasons for Supercharger openings that are delayed or deferred are beyond the scope of this segment. Tesla has always been overly sanguine about Supercharger openings to the dismay or disappointment of many buyers. One of the things we have learned over the years about Tesla: The only thing certain about Tesla is change!

We have also discussed in another thread that a few planned locations in California (Newell, Adin, Greenville among others) seem misplaced or along the less-frequently traveled road that is already served by locations already in place (K-Falls) or planned (Chico, Susanville, Yuba City) for example.

I don't disagree, but my point in copying just the ones added to the list in May 2018, is that they're being unusually sanguine on top of their usual optimism, I mean, without any prompting by the community, they add four that specifically say Summer, which is basically 3-4 months from when they posted. Who would suddenly change to that degree of shortsightedness, unless they had permits lined up or something else in the bag?

That's on top of other 15 previously noted for this Summer, that were already likely to disappoint (I'm particularly looking at you, Mountain View)....

What?? Sonora is getting a supercharger? That's news! (I have a cabin in Sonora)

Checking that list you made, most are NOT for Summer 2018, though my Alameda is:

Adin, CA 2019
Almaden, CA. Summer 2018 √
Antioch, CA. Fall 2018
Big Sur, CA. Fall 2018
Bishop, CA. 2019
Carmel Mountain, CA. 2019
Chino Hills, CA. 2019
Costa Mesa, CA 2019
Greenville, CA 2019
Livermore, CA Summer 2018 √
Los Altos, CA. Summer 2018 √
Marina Del Rey, CA. 2019
Mariposa, CA 2019
Montebello, CA 2019
Newell, CA 2019
Ojai, CA 2019
Pacific Palisades, CA Fall 2018
Palm Springs, CA. Fall 2018
Rohnert Park, CA. Fall 2018
San Diego, CA (Mission Valley) 2019
San Jose (South), CA Summer 2018 √
San Ysidro, CA 2019
Sonora, CA 2019
Susanville, CA 2019
Watsonville, CA. Fall 2018
Westwood, CA 2019
Williams, CA 2019
Woodland, CA Fall 2018

-Randy

I didn't make this list, this was the complete list of all new ones added to the map in late May, per another thread - I just stated it included ones targeted for Summer 2018.

But thanks for doing the one-by-one lookup, and the subsequently chronological tally - it is helpful to sort the entire planned list that way.

I didn't make this list, this was the complete list of all new ones added to the map in late May, per another thread - I just stated it included ones targeted for Summer 2018.

But thanks for doing the one-by-one lookup, and the subsequently chronological tally - it is helpful to sort the entire planned list that way.
I think they "updated" (read: pushed back) their target dates at some point after the big map update with all the new pins. That could be the cause of some of the confusion.