Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent taillight change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(In the US.)

Saw a Model 3 with a very recently issued license plate with an amber blinking rear turn signal in back (the line of LEDs in the middle of the taillights). The taillights do not look like aftermarket ones.

On most other Model 3 cars that I have seen with the turn signal on, the rear turn signal is red, and shared with the brake lights (the same line of LEDs in the middle of the taillights).

Is this a very recent change?

You saw a Model Y. The 3s do not have amber turn signals, even on the most recently produced ones.
55D562FE-5F56-47C6-8CE9-EA5F48DF55F9.jpeg

Or possibly fitted euro lights. We (UK) also only have one reversing light as the other was replaced by a fog light which leads to poor night reversing image on camera. Hopefully this is changing as a new rear light is rolling out on the China made cars. Maybe OP saw one of those. As an off topic the car image on the screen in uk now shows red blinkers (indicators - UK) with the latest software.

Could it be this?

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Could it be this?

It looked like Model Y taillamps on a Model 3, which look like they could theoretically could be installed with similar wiring hacks (the linked thread has some talk about using Model Y taillamps on a Model 3).

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
They look just like the current Model Y: red brake + parking light on outer horseshoe shape and amber flasher where the USA Model 3 had red brake/flasher short rectangular lamp

I was looking on eBay for Model Y takeoffs and found brand new ones from China, they say Tesla on the inside FWIW and look equal quality of the made in USA ones I removed.

I learned this would work from the tech who came to service the car a couple weeks back (new cabin filters, 12v battery) and he had not seen this kind (odd I thought). Perhaps he has only really seen newer Model Y lamps?