Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent trade-in experience with a non-Tesla vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought when you want to trade in a vehicle, you submit a trade in request on their site, fill in some info and they return with a quote? I'm about to trade mine in with them though a local broker whom I've dealt with before will offer a bit more.

Are you saying that the quote they offer has no bearing and they will change the offer when you actually bring it in for trade?

Spncr,

They will give you a very low offer for your trade. Typically that is the wholesale value of the car. They will not change the offer when you bring in the trade.
Thanks...just to clarify, I've submitted the details of my car, pictures and images of insurance and odometer reading and they came back with an amount (an amount I'm ok with). Are you saying that when I do bring it in upon delivery of my Tesla, they will change what they've already offered me?

Thanks...just to clarify, I've submitted the details of my car, pictures and images of insurance and odometer reading and they came back with an amount (an amount I'm ok with). Are you saying that when I do bring it in upon delivery of my Tesla, they will change what they've already offered me?
no, that's not the issue. what people are trying to tell you and gave you examples already is that you can get a few thousand more by selling to someone else. Soul Surfer in his case said he got 12.5k more using autotrader.ca than what Tesla offered. Why leave money on the table that could be better spent in your pocket?

Reactions: spncr
this is what i did
dealer got a quote of MAX 4-5k
clutch.ca quoted me 6k with pickup
tesla online quoted me 6250 i accepted this quote

just do it and find them best price for your car
Yup. So far, that's what I've done. Got a quote for $21.8k for my car from Tesla (more on that in a bit). A local broker who I've bought vehicles from a few times now will give me $24.5k. I might still just go with Tesla because of the tax savings and less hassle.

I looked into the autotrader route but I read a fair bit on reddit that autotrader sends those inquires as leads to local dealers and it doesn't matter what the autotrader valuation is, the dealer is paying for the lead (intent of sale) and will quote you their own price. I didn't bother.

With my delivery date constantly being pushed out, I've had to submit my trade in quote 3 times now. Each time, the quote from tesla has increased in price (not by much - a few hundred each time) even though my mileage goes up a tiny bit. Guess the market for pre-owned is still really strong.

Reactions: Goulag and garumaru
Yup. So far, that's what I've done. Got a quote for $21.8k for my car from Tesla (more on that in a bit). A local broker who I've bought vehicles from a few times now will give me $24.5k. I might still just go with Tesla because of the tax savings and less hassle.

I looked into the autotrader route but I read a fair bit on reddit that autotrader sends those inquires as leads to local dealers and it doesn't matter what the autotrader valuation is, the dealer is paying for the lead (intent of sale) and will quote you their own price. I didn't bother.

With my delivery date constantly being pushed out, I've had to submit my trade in quote 3 times now. Each time, the quote from tesla has increased in price (not by much - a few hundred each time) even though my mileage goes up a tiny bit. Guess the market for pre-owned is still really strong.
that's good to hear every one just needs to try very way to get the highest quote tesla or not 👍👍

I have a M3LR on order and I have received the trade-in offer for my non - Tesla vehicle. If I accept it now, can I later change my mind and remove the trade-in option from my account? I am asking because it is possible to sell it privately in the meantime (before the delivery).

Traded in both my vehicles to Tesla, one in December 2021 and one just last week. Prices they offered were comparable to what I had in mind and one vehicle was slightly higher than Clutch's offer and the other was slightly lower. Also for trade-in you get tax savings on the new vehicle so it somewhat makes up for the lower offer and of course it's less hassle. Also I don't have to worry about timing when to sell it (privately). A few people have gotten burned by Tesla's estimated delivery dates by selling their vehicle privately way too early.

Got my valuation back from Tesla and it was a good $6k CAD lower than what Clutch offered and about $10k lower than what I might be able to get privately. Not a good deal unfortunately. Clutch is a good option if I need to move fast and not worry about the financing left. I was prepared to take a bit less than other dealers, but not like $4-6k less.