TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Recent Update Undecipherable

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by aleagle, Jul 19, 2017.

1. aleagle

aleagle Member

I just received a recent (fix) update, and my software status is now designated as "v.8.1 2017.28 (c 528869)". Could this be any more confusing??? Just when I get used to the Tesla software designation system being different than computer software designation, and just when I think I know what build 27.26.76 (or whatever the previous version was) was, they throw in a curveball! Can anyone decipher this new designation for me?

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

:)

• Funny x 5
  3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

It’s pretty straightforward. 8.1 is the marketing designation. 2017.28 is the year and week that the update branched, and the remaining 5 characters is a Git short hash to refer to the exact commit.

This is a superior versioning scheme compared to build numbers because frequently build numbers imply some sort of linearity that may or may not exist or be relevant.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Now if only we can get decent release notes.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  5. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

yeah, it would be nice to have a git log :) in the release notes as well

6. wayner

wayner Active Member

What "Bug fixes" isn't enough info?

• Funny x 1
  7. jlv1

jlv1 Member

I really suspect it's not a Git hash but instead a Perforce change number (c#######). We'll see on the next one, if it has more hex digits or still just decimals.

8. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Given Tesla's gross incompetence with respect to programming, as documented with the USB bugs, the misreading of speed limit signs in Canada, the failure to comply with the open source license of Linux (gratutiously causing Tesla to owe damages of at least $150,000), and much more,....

I suspect they have only just started using a proper revision control system. Probably just now.

For a revision control system, Perforce is a decent choice. Git is arguably better, but using git effectively in a big project requires a well-developed internal workflow with programmers who are relatively disciplined about their changelog entries, and it's already clear Tesla doesn't have that.

• Disagree x 1
  9. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

ugh, not this again?

10. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

The model 3 release shows more hex digits. It looks at this point like it's most likely a git hash.

• Like x 1
  11. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

It could be a count of the number of known bugs in the release - in hexadecimal. Since we don't seem to be getting any of the known bugs from 8.0 fixed, the bug list must be getting longer and longer...

12. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

That would mean they would have to admit there were bugs! lol

• Funny x 1