Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Update Undecipherable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a recent (fix) update, and my software status is now designated as "v.8.1 2017.28 (c 528869)". Could this be any more confusing??? Just when I get used to the Tesla software designation system being different than computer software designation, and just when I think I know what build 27.26.76 (or whatever the previous version was) was, they throw in a curveball! Can anyone decipher this new designation for me?

It’s pretty straightforward. 8.1 is the marketing designation. 2017.28 is the year and week that the update branched, and the remaining 5 characters is a Git short hash to refer to the exact commit.

This is a superior versioning scheme compared to build numbers because frequently build numbers imply some sort of linearity that may or may not exist or be relevant.

It’s pretty straightforward. 8.1 is the marketing designation. 2017.28 is the year and week that the update branched, and the remaining 5 characters is a Git short hash to refer to the exact commit.

This is a superior versioning scheme compared to build numbers because frequently build numbers imply some sort of linearity that may or may not exist or be relevant.
Now if only we can get decent release notes.

Given Tesla's gross incompetence with respect to programming, as documented with the USB bugs, the misreading of speed limit signs in Canada, the failure to comply with the open source license of Linux (gratutiously causing Tesla to owe damages of at least $150,000), and much more,....

I suspect they have only just started using a proper revision control system. Probably just now.

For a revision control system, Perforce is a decent choice. Git is arguably better, but using git effectively in a big project requires a well-developed internal workflow with programmers who are relatively disciplined about their changelog entries, and it's already clear Tesla doesn't have that.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
It could be a count of the number of known bugs in the release - in hexadecimal. Since we don't seem to be getting any of the known bugs from 8.0 fixed, the bug list must be getting longer and longer...