Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Updates to Model X - Range Mode? Daytime Running Lights / DRL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
Family outing tonight to the Drive-In (Showboat, NW of Houston) and I noticed the daytime running lights (DRL) no longer turn off when enabling Range Mode. Last time we were to the drive-in was about 6 months ago and I was able to turn off the DRLs and use the parking-brake / neutral trick so we could keep the radio on.

We were a bit annoyed tonight, that this did not work tonight. Without the Range Mode trick, we have to keep the car off and turn on the radio every 30 minutes...which is annoying to say the least.

Any idea when this behavior changed?
I haven't seen it mentioned on the forum. Thanks!

My Model X software version is 2018.50.6

What daytime running lights? I don't recall seeing an option for that. Where do I turn it on? We actually have a road here where DRL is required by law. I'm used to automatically turning my lights on anytime I get in my truck. Not so easy in the Tesla. I'd love to have DRL I can set and forget.

What daytime running lights? I don't recall seeing an option for that. Where do I turn it on? We actually have a road here where DRL is required by law. I'm used to automatically turning my lights on anytime I get in my truck. Not so easy in the Tesla. I'd love to have DRL I can set and forget.

In your manual search for 'running lights'. This changed with the v9 software that made the X and S more like the 3.

Old layout:
flYfzY9.jpg

New layout:
VqANSkT.jpg

In your manual search for 'running lights'. This changed with the v9 software that made the X and S more like the 3.

Old layout:
flYfzY9.jpg

New layout:
VqANSkT.jpg

I tried this before. I turn the headlights to on, get out of the car and lock it and they are still on. I did this just now and after a few minutes they are still on. I don't see any sign that they will turn off once I set them to "on".

Or should I set it to "parking"?

I tried this before. I turn the headlights to on, get out of the car and lock it and they are still on. I did this just now and after a few minutes they are still on. I don't see any sign that they will turn off once I set them to "on". Or should I set it to "parking"?
It looks like the DRL info is under parking as I look at that manual again. Also not sure if Range Mode=ON works as it did before ... assuming you read the early post and the linked to thread. In the past I simulated testing DRLs at the Drive-In with a mirror out front and to the left so I could see it while still in the driver seat (with the car sensing a driver is still in the car).

I wish they’d bring back the image of the car that showed which lights were on in real time. There’s plenty of space on the “Lights” menu for it. Probably the biggest thing I miss in v9.

Same here. There is so much blank space at the bottom they could easily fit the old helpful image there. I wish there was someone to complain to about it. I have no idea why they took something so useful and functional away!

Reactions: gnumeric
Coincidentally I tested it on my Sig X yesterday with 2021.12.25.7 and the running lights immediately switched off when I turned on range mode.

Actually, can I just ask how much power you actually save turning off the DRL's ? I think of a lightbulb as being on the order of 100 watts. Even a bright one, even two bright ones, can't be thousands of watts, certainly not if they're LED's. When I noticed the lights go off I remember thinking at the time really? This is supposed to add range to a 6000 pound EV? It takes me a good 20,000 watts to move this sucker at 60mph in perfect conditions on level ground. I'm saving, what 100W? Half a percent? One mile of extra 'range' on a full tank? I guess 'every little bit helps'..

Coincidentally I tested it on my Sig X yesterday with 2021.12.25.7 and the running lights immediately switched off when I turned on range mode.

Actually, can I just ask how much power you actually save turning off the DRL's ? I think of a lightbulb as being on the order of 100 watts. Even a bright one, even two bright ones, can't be thousands of watts, certainly not if they're LED's. When I noticed the lights go off I remember thinking at the time really? This is supposed to add range to a 6000 pound EV? It takes me a good 20,000 watts to move this sucker at 60mph in perfect conditions on level ground. I'm saving, what 100W? Half a percent? One mile of extra 'range' on a full tank? I guess 'every little bit helps'..

Just remember that Range mode doesn't just turn off the fogs (it is a constant draw, which is a reason it's shut off as it adds up over time), but, the A/C/heating, motor usage, and even battery cooling system are affected when you switch to Range mode... The DRL would be considered vampire drain, and Range mode is supposed to give you extra range, so, they're kicked off the island..

Reactions: Harvey Danger