Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent upgrades to Refreshed 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought a 2016 Model S 60D in December of 2016 that was delivered in January 2017. I guess it's called a Refreshed 2016 or Late Model 2016.
We purchased Full Self-Driving Capability, Enhanced Autopilot.
We then upgraded to a 75D, and they uncorked it a year or so later.

The other day I noticed we had some free upgrades and some recall upgrades as well.

Took it into the shop and they did the following:
  • Replaced the front passenger airbag
  • Replaced the 8GB eMMC with the 64GB version
  • Retrofited the Autopilot 2.0 to 3.0
Sentry mode and dashcam finally work but I have the older cameras (false color). Because I still have MCU1 I can't view the videos on the screen and have to download them to my computer but at least I finally have them! Sadly hey factory reset everything in the process so I'm still setting everything back up.

I kept asking the service techs whether I was going to get the new cameras and they kept telling me they didn't know anything about that. I finally talked to the service manager and he said they're slowly replacing those and that when my VIN number came up they let me know and replace them with the newer ones for free.

To me, the price of upgrading to the MCU2 at $2,250 isn't worth the extra features. Now, if someone knows of a great app that will work on my Mac for viewing the videos I'd love to hear about it!

I'm in the same boat. 60D, did not upgrade battery thus not uncorked, FSD computer but no new cameras. Original eMMC. MCU1. I use VLC to view the dashcam videos but they're choppy and pixelated. Don't bother. It's better than nothing in case of an accident. Also, front and side cams only. No rear cam videos on MCU1.

Last edited:
We bought a 2016 Model S 60D in December of 2016 that was delivered in January 2017. I guess it's called a Refreshed 2016 or Late Model 2016.
We purchased Full Self-Driving Capability, Enhanced Autopilot.
We then upgraded to a 75D, and they uncorked it a year or so later.

The other day I noticed we had some free upgrades and some recall upgrades as well.

Took it into the shop and they did the following:
  • Replaced the front passenger airbag
  • Replaced the 8GB eMMC with the 64GB version
  • Retrofited the Autopilot 2.0 to 3.0
Sentry mode and dashcam finally work but I have the older cameras (false color). Because I still have MCU1 I can't view the videos on the screen and have to download them to my computer but at least I finally have them! Sadly hey factory reset everything in the process so I'm still setting everything back up.

I kept asking the service techs whether I was going to get the new cameras and they kept telling me they didn't know anything about that. I finally talked to the service manager and he said they're slowly replacing those and that when my VIN number came up they let me know and replace them with the newer ones for free.

To me, the price of upgrading to the MCU2 at $2,250 isn't worth the extra features. Now, if someone knows of a great app that will work on my Mac for viewing the videos I'd love to hear about it!
Try this link, I’m not sure if still works:

Reactions: Winnie168
I'm in the same boat. 60D, did not upgrade battery thus not uncorked, FSD computer but no new cameras. Original eMMC. MCU1. I use VLC to view the dashcam videos but they're choppy and pixelated. Don't bother. It's better than nothing in case of an accident. Also, front and side cams only. No rear cam videos on MCU1.
I've viewed the camera footage and don't find it pixelated or choppy. I'll post some examples soon. No back camera but I didn't expect it on MCU1. I'm guessing the difference is the eMMC as the recall upgrades it from 8GB to 64GB. You really should get that done as it's a free upgrade and yours will break at some point here soon. Note, not "might" break but "will" break. More info here.

I found the upgrade to the 75D and uncorking worth it. It extended my battery range (especially nice now that it's declining) and the uncorking shaved 1 second off my 0-60 time.

Reactions: Winnie168
I've viewed the camera footage and don't find it pixelated or choppy. I'll post some examples soon. No back camera but I didn't expect it on MCU1. I'm guessing the difference is the eMMC as the recall upgrades it from 8GB to 64GB. You really should get that done as it's a free upgrade and yours will break at some point here soon. Note, not "might" break but "will" break. More info here.

I found the upgrade to the 75D and uncorking worth it. It extended my battery range (especially nice now that it's declining) and the uncorking shaved 1 second off my 0-60 time.
I’ve looked into upgrading the battery. It can only be done at the service center now and on the job order, it says unlock the battery to 70kwh only. I’m not sure if that will qualify for uncorking, so I bailed when I got my FSD computer upgrade. The battery upgrade option disappeared from the app a few years ago. eMMC recall from the app says my eMMC is healthy so I can’t even book an appointment for that. The only service I can book is the front latch recall. CCS retrofit says check back early 2023. If I can get camera upgrade, CCS retrofit, eMMC recall, and front latch recall all done at the same time, that’ll be great.

Car is almost 6 years old. Not sure how long the 75kwh battery locked at 60, charged to 100%, 98% of the time at Superchargers will last. If I have to replace the battery for five figures, I will. It will then be a 90D and uncorked. Hard to let go of free lifetime supercharging and free premium connectivity. I’d rather to that than get a new Model 3.

I also have a 2016 Model S with MCU1.
Can you please tell me how to setup / get the dashcam videos to a USB stick? I don't see any option on the screen ...