Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent White MY/MYP Deliveries - Paint Match?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bumping this thread back up. Have the issues been resolved with the rear bumper paint mismatch for Pearl White Multi-Coat? If not, is Tesla willing to respray the bumper?
My front and rear bumper is SLIGHTLY yellower than the body. I usually can't see it except except in certain bright light.

I'm not going to try to do anything about it, it's like a fingerprint, a unique reminder of this time in Tesla history.

Mid September build, picked up 9/30.

Reactions: Clark_Kent
I took delivery of an August build MY. All metal parts match each other and the plastic front and rear bumpers match each other. Unfortunately, the metal parts are bright alpine white, and the plastic is more of a cream or true pearl white.
44A185E3-9761-4DB6-B95D-5ABD2F0E7856.jpeg

Reactions: Clark_Kent
Appreciate the comments. I've read several comments where folks say they've owned white cars in the past and have experienced color mismatches. I've owned a couple of white cars and that has not been my experience. I also don't subscribe to the theory it's common to have color mismatches on a vehicle. A white car should be white even if the various body panels are of a different substrate.

I have a 2020 LRMY with the Pearl White Multicoat paint. There are three layers to the Pearl White Multicoat, not counting the primer. The base coat is flat white. The mid coat is semi-milky with added metallic flakes. The top layer is a clear glossy finish. As I am in the process of repairing a few scratches, down to the bare metal, I can say that the paint on the body panels of the Model Y is incredibly thin (thinner than an egg shell.) Even with a computer controlled paint sprayer it would be difficult to paint the bumper and have it match the body panels exactly.

I drove past a red Y today and the back bumper looked darker than the body slightly. Another member posted his MSM and I noticed a variation in his front bumper:

54F28F9A-E2ED-4784-AF45-D9AFF2CBC307.jpeg

As long is the difference isn’t offensively bad I’d just live with it. Plenty of different cars in different colors have the same issues. It doesn’t make it right but it happens. If I was paying for a $6000 custom color on a Porsche or something then I would expect perfection but not here.

Reactions: OxBrew
I took delivery of an August build MY. All metal parts match each other and the plastic front and rear bumpers match each other. Unfortunately, the metal parts are bright alpine white, and the plastic is more of a cream or true pearl white.View attachment 722315

I took delivery in late Sept in CA, exactly same as above, front and rear both mismatch body panel, slight yellow tint in back, different shade in front.

Tesla SC had my car at the moment to repaint both front and back, using a BMW collision center repair shop =P. Still waiting for the car, SC stated it will take 2 weeks total.

I have a 2020 LRMY with the Pearl White Multicoat paint. There are three layers to the Pearl White Multicoat, not counting the primer. The base coat is flat white. The mid coat is semi-milky with added metallic flakes. The top layer is a clear glossy finish. As I am in the process of repairing a few scratches, down to the bare metal, I can say that the paint on the body panels of the Model Y is incredibly thin (thinner than an egg shell.) Even with a computer controlled paint sprayer it would be difficult to paint the bumper and have it match the body panels exactly.
thanks for the information. We have had Lexus and Acura SUVs and I never put PPF. I did not understand why Tesla owners were putting on PPF in such large numbers.

My white paint looks good on my MYP vin F436. It’s probably a rush job. They should have gave the bumper another coat or 2. My Wife’s white Toyota is flawless too. I have seen other color non tesla’s with paint mismatch. It’s usually noticeable more on cheaper cars. Tesla needs to fix this problem. You can’t charge $60,000-$130,000. But do a shitty paint job.