Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent White MY/MYP Deliveries - Paint Match?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

About 1 week from delivery (VIN 230xxx) and I am getting a little nervous about the white paint match on the rear bumper. I was at the dealer yesterday and there was a white MYLR and the yellow tint on the rear bumper was VERY noticeable (had not previously paid attention to it but this one was really bad)

I’ve read a few threads on here from the past and there hasn’t been much recent activity discussing white paint matching issues. Is this still a significant issue, or are a few just worse than others? For those who have taken delivery recently of a white MY/MYP, what are your thoughts on the bumper match?

Thanks!

Stopped by the dealership today to walk the lot. Every white Model Y (maybe 12-15 vehicles) had a very noticeable yellow tint on the rear bumper. This did not appear to be the case with front bumpers (seemed to match well). Ended up switching the color to MSM to avoid this issue all together. I knew in the long run my OCD would drive me crazy! :)

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 1.52.05 PM.png

Stopped by the dealership today to walk the lot. Every white Model Y (maybe 12-15 vehicles) had a very noticeable yellow tint on the rear bumper. This did not appear to be the case with front bumpers (seemed to match well). Ended up switching the color to MSM to avoid this issue all together. I knew in the long run my OCD would drive me crazy! :)

View attachment 688427
is this in dublin? I'm waiting for my white/white MYP and picking up in dublin so I'm hoping to check for this issue if so! (no VIN yet, but EDD of 7/27-8/6 today)

There really should be a menu where you can choose your factory defects in advance (you must choose at least three defects.)

Steering wheel not straight when front wheels are pointed straight ahead
Doors not aligned with frame
Doors not closing easily
Hatch not aligned with frame
Hood not level
Excessive panel gaps
Headlights not aligned with front bumper
Charge port cover sticks out when closed
Condensation in tail lights
Condensation in side repeater cameras
Paint defects
Rear bumper discolored, does not match vehicle color
Second row seats not even straight across

is this in dublin? I'm waiting for my white/white MYP and picking up in dublin so I'm hoping to check for this issue if so! (no VIN yet, but EDD of 7/27-8/6 today)
This was in Dublin. It was shocking to see it on every MY. Some were noticeably worse than others, but I didn't see on that was spot on for color match.

Fingers crossed for you to get a good one!

This was in Dublin. It was shocking to see it on every MY. Some were noticeably worse than others, but I didn't see on that was spot on for color match.

Fingers crossed for you to get a good one!
oh no that's awful! thank you for the kind wishes :) did they happen to mention the option of having it repainted (at their expense of course)? I know there are some defects they'll offer to fix

oh no that's awful! thank you for the kind wishes :) did they happen to mention the option of having it repainted (at their expense of course)? I know there are some defects they'll offer to fix

When I asked the sales advisor, he did say the SC is great about fixing defects. That said, based on on threads here on the forum, it sounds like the bumper would just be replaced rather than repainted. I think the issue becomes different shades of white from bumper to bumper.

Reactions: onyxbanx
When I asked the sales advisor, he did say the SC is great about fixing defects. That said, based on on threads here on the forum, it sounds like the bumper would just be replaced rather than repainted. I think the issue becomes different shades of white from bumper to bumper.
interesting, I could definitely see that becoming a time-consuming problem if it takes multiple bumpers to find the right match. well, I hope you and I both get our cars soon! best of luck :)

View attachment 688427

I am SO HAPPY to I didn't switch to white..good luck to all.

Just spent 30 minutes at the Ft Worth, SC, checking out new cars. No paint issues, several white MYs, perfect paint match.

That's awesome! I've been keeping a really close eye on every MY/MYP that I see, and most have some level of mismatch on the bumper. Some are significantly better than others and a few have been perfect.

While a white MYP was my first choice, I am glad I've made the switch to MSM. My eye would twitch with some of the mismatches I've seen. I understand Tesla would try to make it right post-delivery, but not something I want to hassle with on a ~$65k vehicle. Knock on wood, all of the MSMs that I have seen have been spot on. Have not seen anything like what was posted above by @Seminole. That color match was off by a mile!