TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Recent windshield replace by anyone?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by nctalkinghead, Jun 6, 2019.

1. nctalkinghead

nctalkinghead Member

Hail and heat have destroyed the windshield on my 2018 X. Old threads seem to indicate that Tesla no longer replaces glass...Safelite is recommended...and camera must be recalibrated at Tesla. I am getting conflicting info from Safelite and local Tesla SC...anybody have recent experience with this nightmare?

2. Cleex024

Cleex024 Member

so I have recently had my windshield replaced because of a huge rock chip and tesla sc replaced the windshield...2 months later i have yet another crack and replacing my windshield and this time i am going to get it replaced at an authorized tesla body shop because there are other damage. however i do believe the sc would have replaced the windshield again and it was about $1400.

as for the calibrating it is all done automatically I believe...last time they told me to drive about 50 miles and should be done calibrating which it was actually less. but during that time i was not able to use autopilot.

3. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

Had my wife's X windshield repaired at a Tesla approved glass shop and no calibration by Tesla is needed. The camaeras automatically recalibrated with driving and AP seems fine when I use it.

4. nctalkinghead

nctalkinghead Member

Thanks much for these replies!

5. seclinton

seclinton Member

Tesla is starting to in-house repair more and more now instead of referring people to body shops. Turns out service on non warranty items is a a good racket.

Tesla Fremont and Sunnyvale are now doing glass replacements. 6/12 my wife’s X windshield $1500 and change. Sunnyvale my Model S Rear door window on order $250 from a breakin. Had a bent regulator channel too

Expect Tesla to in house service more and more, it’s a cash cow out of warranty

6. nctalkinghead

nctalkinghead Member

My local SC in Raleigh NC did the windshield replacement for my X. Had to wait 5 days for an appointment and according to service invoice it looks like the repair took an hour and 20 minutes, but labor charge was $437.50. That is well above their stated hourly shop labor rate of $175/hour. Windshield cost was $10.25. Cash cow indeed.

7. Dirk

Dirk Member

About 2 months ago, I had my windshield replaced under warranty because of a stress fracture (2017 X). The Sunnyvale SC just had a 3rd party come to my work and to the replacement right there in the parking lot. Very convenient. No camera calibration needed.