Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recieved tesla s yesterday no AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People act like they wouldn't be pissed they just spent $120K on a car that will be essentially outdated in a month. Not that it wouldn't be a great car or usable, but when you buy a 'last years model' especially one with a redesign or major feature changes coming, it typically comes at a major discount from traditional carmakers.

I understand that Tesla is pushing the envelope and changes will be occurring all the time, but Tesla should really be more transparent about it. If they had given 6 months notice of Tesla Vision before manufactuing cars with it, they would not have unhappy customers..it's not as though there are competitors on their tail with respect to non-lidar autonomy that is going to beat them to production on their ideas.

Tesla should take care of you in some way -- offer you an exchange for the new model, offer you $5K off your next Tesla, or transition you to a lease instead of finance so you can get an AP2 model next year. Keep at it!

People act like they wouldn't be pissed they just spent $120K on a car that will be essentially outdated in a month. Not that it wouldn't be a great car or usable, but when you buy a 'last years model' especially one with a redesign or major feature changes coming, it typically comes at a major discount from traditional carmakers.

I understand that Tesla is pushing the envelope and changes will be occurring all the time, but Tesla should really be more transparent about it. If they had given 6 months notice of Tesla Vision before manufactuing cars with it, they would not have unhappy customers..it's not as though there are competitors on their tail with respect to non-lidar autonomy that is going to beat them to production on their ideas.

Tesla should take care of you in some way -- offer you an exchange for the new model, offer you $5K off your next Tesla, or transition you to a lease instead of finance so you can get an AP2 model next year. Keep at it!

They DID give notice!
Musk: Tesla will do 'the obvious thing' for Autopilot on Model 3
Tesla's Elon Musk hints Model 3 will be fully autonomous | ZDNet
He also mentioned that Model S/X would get new features first.
Those articles are from June

He mentioned an event "maybe toward the end of the year"

While you're right, I would be kind of mad, but mad at myself for not listening.

They DID give notice!
All due respect...When you have to follow the CEO and piece together hints from interviews and tweets, that isn't notice.

You need to go back and read why these ideas are not feasible
Do i need to...really? a manufacturer has plenty of power to offer a credit (heck, they offer $1000 off for referrals) or take a car back, regardless of what you may think. If part of reinventing the auto industry is treating customers who spend $100K+ like crap, you won't last long.

I don't want to burst any bubbles here, but, have you noticed Tesla's sales are increasing every quarter? This is how they operate, this is called business, whatever they're doing is working! A few hundred people get butt hurt at every announcement, but that number is small compared to the number of new sales.

The people that think they are being suckered in have the best car in the world, then after the announcement; they have the 2nd best car in the world. Not a bad deal at all!

Tesla is a high end car, it cost a lot of money, if you always want the best; you'd better be prepared to spend more than ever, that's the cost of having the latest and greatest.

All due respect...When you have to follow the CEO and piece together hints from interviews and tweets, that isn't notice.
You don't ... that's why I pasted at least two news articles. Reading the news does help keep up with current events and is helpful when researching a future purchase. ;)

With regards to technology, checking the news before a purchase is essential!

Reactions: Shumdit and Runarbt
You don't ... that's why I pasted at least two news articles. Reading the news does help keep up with current events and is helpful when researching a future purchase. ;)

With regards to technology, checking the news before a purchase is essential!

I spend a stupid amount of time online researching if credit card a is better than b,c,d,e,f for perks, benefits, points, etc. I'll be damned if I don't spend the same amount time for a 100k vehicle.

Any major purchase needs careful evaluation and research.

Funny to say this, but I still think a Tesla is an irresponsible decision because of the opportunity cost of money. Lots of cars can get you to point a->b for far less money.

Reactions: Shumdit

Do i need to...really? a manufacturer has plenty of power to offer a credit (heck, they offer $1000 off for referrals) or take a car back, regardless of what you may think. If part of reinventing the auto industry is treating customers who spend $100K+ like crap, you won't last long.

Maybe I should say you might "want" to if you don't want to sound uneducated and illogical. Is that better?. It's not about whether they have the power to do something. It's about delivering what the customer ordered and providing a ROI for shareholders. Not about taking millions in losses to appease a few narcissistic customers who feel owed something by the world simply by being on the planet. I would ALMOST see the viewpoint some of the whiners share if they came out with a substantially improved item at the same price but in this case there are owners who got AP1.0 without paying for it (and people who had just taken delivery did EXACTLY what these recent AP1.0 buyers are doing now). Also, there are current on order cars that will get AP2.0 hardware so they can upgrade if wanted when they did not order it, so you're welcome lucky people. The problem is there has to be a cutoff and going back to cars already delivered does not make sense because there will always be a group just before whatever that date is that will feel wronged. The logical thing is to do what they have done. If you ordered a car with AP1.0 and took delivery of it, you got what you ordered and paid for so done deal. I got what I paid for 3 years ago in my model S and when newer features came out shortly afterwards I did not think for I was owed those improvements or a discount of some sort. Put on your big boy pants and get over it people.

Again, educate yourself. This has been discussed. See Osborne effect which was previously mentioned by a few other posters. In my business if announce a new product that is far better than the one I have for sale now it will kill sales on those current products.

Maybe I should say you might "want" to if you don't want to sound uneducated and illogical. Is that better?. It's not about whether they have the power to do something. It's about delivering what the customer ordered and providing a ROI for shareholders. Not about taking millions in losses to appease a few narcissistic customers who feel owed something by the world simply by being on the planet. I would ALMOST see the viewpoint some of the whiners share if they came out with a substantially improved item at the same price but in this case there are owners who got AP1.0 without paying for it (and people who had just taken delivery did EXACTLY what these recent AP1.0 buyers are doing now). Also, there are current on order cars that will get AP2.0 hardware so they can upgrade if wanted when they did not order it, so you're welcome lucky people. The problem is there has to be a cutoff and going back to cars already delivered does not make sense because there will always be a group just before whatever that date is that will feel wronged. The logical thing is to do what they have done. If you ordered a car with AP1.0 and took delivery of it, you got what you ordered and paid for so done deal. I got what I paid for 3 years ago in my model S and when newer features came out shortly afterwards I did not think for I was owed those improvements or a discount of some sort. Put on your big boy pants and get over it people.

I'm not going to feed into insults. I'm here to enjoy conversation with others interested in Tesla, not to prove myself as alpha male. If that's your goal, congratulations, you win.

This is obviously a unique situation. I'm not suggesting Tesla take back or credit any AP1 owner who is now unhappy that they'll be missing out on AP2. We're talking about a few dozen people who took delivery this week, care about AP2 and have put zero miles on their car.

While its easy for people to say that they wouldn't care if this happened to them, especially those who are so enthusiastic about Tesla, i don't think it is reality for most put in this situation.

I agree somewhat...I had a good idea what was supposedly coming, but still it was speculation.

Again, educate yourself. This has been discussed. See Osborne effect which was previously mentioned by a few other posters. In my business if announce a new product that is far better than the one I have for sale now it will kill sales on those current products.

If we were talking about an iphone that is already manufactured and sitting on a shelf, I could see your point -- but we are talking about a BUILT TO ORDER product in an industry where NOBODY is close to them. They wouldn't miss out on sales -- they would simply delay them -- and as a result they would have an opportunity for higher profit (AP2 and full autonomous at 8K vs AP1 at 3K) and have higher customer satisfaction.

I agree somewhat...I had a good idea what was supposedly coming, but still it was speculation.
If you check out the code conference interview @ 39:30 (early June)
and also Sterling Anderson here @ 20:02 (May)

it was practically a sure bet autonomous hardware or an announcement would have been made by the end of this year.

edit: I also forgot to mention when Elon said during a conference call that he was blown away by the self driving tech they were working on internally.

Last edited:
If you check out the code conference interview @ 39:30 (early June)
and also Sterling Anderson here @ 20:02 (May)

it was practically a sure bet autonomous hardware or an announcement would have been made by the end of this year.

I mean, I like Tesla as much as the next guy, but when is anything Elon says regarding timing a 'sure bet'? ;) and while most people on this forum knew about his Code Conference interview, there is an entire world of Tesla owners who aren't prowling on forums and following Elon's twitter like those of us here.

I think the whole Steve Jobsian 'ohh, one last thing, it's available today' thing works awesome in industries where your unveilings are the same time year in and year out -- but there is a risk of infuriating some of your new customers when you pull something like this in the way they did. I'm here constantly stalking Tesla news, but I can definitely feel for those who just missed the cutoff.

Reactions: AustinPowers
I'm not going to feed into insults. I'm here to enjoy conversation with others interested in Tesla, not to prove myself as alpha male. If that's your goal, congratulations, you win.

This is obviously a unique situation. I'm not suggesting Tesla take back or credit any AP1 owner who is now unhappy that they'll be missing out on AP2. We're talking about a few dozen people who took delivery this week, care about AP2 and have put zero miles on their car.

While its easy for people to say that they wouldn't care if this happened to them, especially those who are so enthusiastic about Tesla, i don't think it is reality for most put in this situation.

Thanks. I love to win. And this is NOT a unique situation. If you have been following Tesla for long enough you would know the exact same sort of thing happened when AP1.0 was released (also next gen seats/Dual motor), the same sort of thing happened when they warned of changing prices in 2013, the same thing happened when the p100 was announced, the same thing happened when the new front end/refresh was announced, etc. The people making these complaints somehow feel a sense of entitlement. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to get the new features and I do think some of the changes Tesla has made are bad business but the changes I am referring to are cases where Tesla/Elon committed to doing things a certain way and then changed course. Those are bad business decisions. The AP2.0 was a known coming feature so if it was THAT important to these people they should have held off buying. End of story.

If we were talking about an iphone that is already manufactured and sitting on a shelf, I could see your point -- but we are talking about a BUILT TO ORDER product in an industry where NOBODY is close to them. They wouldn't miss out on sales -- they would simply delay them -- and as a result they would have an opportunity for higher profit (AP2 and full autonomous at 8K vs AP1 at 3K) and have higher customer satisfaction.

It's apparent that you don't have a good grasp on how running a car car company works. First, not all Tesla vehicles are built to order. Secondly, in your scenario, they would basically stop making cars for that period of time if no one wanted the "old goods". I mean, lets say they announce today that 30 days from now they will start making AP2.0 cars. Who pays for the overhead/salaries for 90 days when no money is coming in? How about the suppliers who have employees and overhead. How do you think they will feel about a 90 day shutdown? Even in this 90 day scenario Tesla still has people who purchased right before the announcement who would be equally unhappy. There is no answer/solution that will appease every customer and not cost an unreasonable amount of money so the way they are doing it is as good as any other way to do it.
It's so easy to look at this from a selfish point of view as someone who feels wronged but when you look at it objectively they have done nothing wrong and have continued to innovate and release those innovations as quickly as possible. They do not hold back improvements that might save lives or further the movement away from fossil fuels/global warming until "next year's models".

Reactions: MP3Mike

Do you imagine that if you dropped 100k on an Audi or other luxury brand you could get a credit for buying a car the day before the next year's model drops?

No, not happening.