Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommend a good .m4p to .m4a converter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a bunch of songs that I have purchased on iTunes over the years that are .m4p format, which I realize can't be played on the S on a USB drive. I tried a couple of websites' advice of trying to get iTunes to convert by exporting to a disc and re-importing as a .mp3 but no dice. iTunes will have none of it. I realize I can pay 28 bucks for iTunes Match and convert all of my .m4p songs, but it bugs me that I am paying "twice" for music that I have already purchased. This option will be my second choice :)

Googling nets many supposed .m4p to .m4a converters that are free. I suspect they are loaded with bloatware (or worse), so I am hesitant to download anything from a website I don't recognize.

Are there any good .m4p to .m4a converters that are safe to download, inexpensive or free that the forum can recommend? Or should I just suck it up and pay the 28 bucks? Thanks.

If Apple has released your songs in iTunes+ format, you can just download the unprotected format directly from Apple. Hey would also be higher bandwidth rips on the redownload. Depending upon how many tracks you are talking about, you may just want to redownload the files from ITunes Store.

Note that iTunes Match allows you to download unprotected iTunes Store versions of songs that you ripped off a CD and added to your library locally.

I did something similar to what swelter mentioned. If you use iTunes Match, make sure Apple has scanned your library and knows the songs you own. Then just delete the songs you want to convert from your machine and have iTunes match re-download them. The re-downladed versions will be 256k AAC without copy protection.

I don't have any .m4p files, but iTunes can convert most files to whatever they have. Just go to the import settings and set the filetype to what you want to convert to, then right click on the file you want to convert and select the convert option. I originally imported all my files as .aac extensions and recently converted my whole library back to mp3 this way.

dBpoweramp

I bought it years ago to rip all of our old music CD's and I'm quite certain that there is an included converter as well. Pretty simple and affordable.

OK, will check that program out. Thanks.

If Apple has released your songs in iTunes+ format, you can just download the unprotected format directly from Apple. Hey would also be higher bandwidth rips on the redownload. Depending upon how many tracks you are talking about, you may just want to redownload the files from ITunes Store.

Note that iTunes Match allows you to download unprotected iTunes Store versions of songs that you ripped off a CD and added to your library locally.

How do I know if a particular .mp4 song in my library is in iTunes+ format? And if it is in that format, do I get to re-download the song for free? If you could give me a little "step by step" it would be appreciated. I'm not particularly familiar with the nuances of iTunes other than basic functionality.

iTunes Match is $28, which is what I was trying to avoid. I'll pay it if I have to, but don't want to have to pay for my music twice.

I don't have any .m4p files, but iTunes can convert most files to whatever they have. Just go to the import settings and set the filetype to what you want to convert to, then right click on the file you want to convert and select the convert option. I originally imported all my files as .aac extensions and recently converted my whole library back to mp3 this way.

That is what I tried to do originally following a tutorial I found on-line. The problem is that iTunes won't convert .m4p files. I'm getting an error message saying iTunes won't convert protected songs.

I have a bunch of songs that I have purchased on iTunes over the years that are .m4p format, which I realize can't be played on the S on a USB drive. I tried a couple of websites' advice of trying to get iTunes to convert by exporting to a disc and re-importing as a .mp3 but no dice. iTunes will have none of it. I realize I can pay 28 bucks for iTunes Match and convert all of my .m4p songs, but it bugs me that I am paying "twice" for music that I have already purchased. This option will be my second choice :)

Googling nets many supposed .m4p to .m4a converters that are free. I suspect they are loaded with bloatware (or worse), so I am hesitant to download anything from a website I don't recognize.

Are there any good .m4p to .m4a converters that are safe to download, inexpensive or free that the forum can recommend? Or should I just suck it up and pay the 28 bucks? Thanks.
I've tried to convert m4p to m4a or mp3 by choosing a converter randomly. Guess what, I succeeded. Anyway, it's hard to say which one is better before using it.