Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommend AC Evap Cleaning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all-

Dropped off my Model 3 to the service center today to have the recommended 2 yr maintenance performed (tire rotation, alignment, cabin air filter replacement, etc).

They just sent a text asking if I'd also like to do an 'AC Evap Cleaning' to clear out any possible mildew which can cause an odor apparently, for $80. Would folks recommend this? Have others had them recommend this service?

I live in the NYC area fwiw / not super humid environment. Appreciate any advice!

They offered me the same thing and I chose not to do it. It sounds gimmicky to me. I had a bad musty smell after 18 months so I went ahead and had them change out the cabin air filters. With parts and labor it was $73.00. The bad smell went away once the filters were replaced and has not reappeared.

• Helpful
Reactions: eab6287
It's a job you can do yourself for a lot less, but if you aren't into doing that sort of thing or simply don't have the time, I think it's worth it to pay Tesla to do it. Our car is starting to smell pretty bad, so it's about time to do the cabin filter and disinfect the evaporator coil. Whatever you decide to do, don't ignore it... in my opinion, evaporator cleaning is definitely not gimmicky.

If you have (or had) an objectionable musty smell come from the AC or heater, then you should have them clean it. When I, and my family, noticed this smell after about 2 years and 40,000 miles of ownership, I replaced the cabin air filters and cleaned the evaporator coils as shown on several Youtube videos. It wasn't easy getting the door of the filter housing off (I'm 67 and not that limber anymore), but cleaning the coils did get rid of the smell. To make removing the cabin air filter door easier in the future, I purchased a new door with magnetic latch instead of star-headed screw to replace the OEM door. That should reduce the effort by 80%.

If you have (or had) an objectionable musty smell come from the AC or heater, then you should have them clean it. When I, and my family, noticed this smell after about 2 years and 40,000 miles of ownership, I replaced the cabin air filters and cleaned the evaporator coils as shown on several Youtube videos. It wasn't easy getting the door of the filter housing off (I'm 67 and not that limber anymore), but cleaning the coils did get rid of the smell. To make removing the cabin air filter door easier in the future, I purchased a new door with magnetic latch instead of star-headed screw to replace the OEM door. That should reduce the effort by 80%.

I haven't done the filter change yet, but I'd be interested in a link for the magnetic latch door.