Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for 18 inch wheels for Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Konig Hypergram. Less than $200 per wheel from Discount Tire. Any of the flow formed Konigs should work, and they are a lot cheaper than the more popular brands on the forum here.

IMG_20190628_192928.jpg
IMG_20190628_192957.jpg

Those have a tire load capacity of 1543, which seems lower than the OEM tires and wheels for the Model 3. Do you think they will be more fragile or problem prone than the OEM wheels?

The OEM PS4S tires have a load index of 92, which is 1389 lbs. I can't find load capacity info on the OEM wheels. Looks like most of the T Sportline wheels are rated higher, but the TSS is rated at 1500 lbs, a bit lower than the Konigs. I'm assuming they are all probably ok.

Last edited:
Okay, you got my attention...but why does Discount Tire not show *any* 18" wheels when you shop for tires for the M3P? All of the 18" wheels say "do not fit your vehicle".
1. You need the exact right design of the spokes to fit over the calipers. Not all 18's will fit without testing the exact style.
2. The M3P has a lip on the wheel hub that has to be taken into account. TSportline adjusted their wheels due to this. Random aftermarket brands don't make specific changes for Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
1. You need the exact right design of the spokes to fit over the calipers. Not all 18's will fit without testing the exact style.
2. The M3P has a lip on the wheel hub that has to be taken into account. TSportline adjusted their wheels due to this. Random aftermarket brands don't make specific changes for Tesla.

Yep, I'm aware of all of that...

But I'm responding to a post where someone clearly has these rims installed on their M3P, and directs us toward Discount Tire.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Okay, you got my attention...but why does Discount Tire not show *any* 18" wheels when you shop for tires for the M3P? All of the 18" wheels say "do not fit your vehicle".

If you call Konig they say no too. But they do fit. My only guess is that they haven't tested themselves so they can't advertise If they don't know for sure.

Here's rear barrel clearance. All of the flow formed Konigs should be the same. There's tons of room between the caliper face and wheel spokes, so that's not a concern at all.

IMG_20190628_191553.jpg
IMG_20190628_191619.jpg

Spoke clearance is not the issue with 18s, it's the rear brake caliper being so tall and close to the inner barrel of the wheel that usually causes problems.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Okay, so the 18" aero's are now available on the Performance (upon request). Anyone know what they are doing so they clear? I know there is a lot of info out there, but for this particular subject, my search skills suck. I'd really like a set of 18" aeros with non-sticky tires for trips.

Okay, so the 18" aero's are now available on the Performance (upon request). Anyone know what they are doing so they clear? I know there is a lot of info out there, but for this particular subject, my search skills suck. I'd really like a set of 18" aeros with non-sticky tires for trips.

Where do you see this?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see the text. Not sure how this will be possible, as it's been tested quite a bit and they won't fit without modifications.

This is probably the return of the P3D-, so the upgraded brakes/suspension/carbon fiber spoiler/pedal covers go with the 20" rims...

For my PD3, I got TSportline's 18" wheels and Pirelli winter tires last fall and drove on them til spring. They worked very well and are much lighter than the 20" OEM wheels. However, in late March I ran over a huge pothole, hidden by water, and blew out two tires. The tires were toast but the wheels survived without damage proving that the TSportline's are tough.

This is probably the return of the P3D-, so the upgraded brakes/suspension/carbon fiber spoiler/pedal covers go with the 20" rims...

The fact the site says nothing about it excluding upgraded brakes or the rest makes me lean towards their doing something different now to allow the 18" wheels fit with them. We'll have to wait till someone puts in this configuration to tell us how it goes to be certain and if it changes the final price at all.