Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for 2022 EVs other than Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't driven a Mini Cooper EV, but have read posts from a lot of very happy owners. The short range wasn't an issue as a second family car.
I did a little more research and it looks like people primarily take this as a second vehicle or short commuter. There are complaints about the battery making sudden big adjustments on range but no other major issues. It lives up to the mini cooper standard of fun and generally owners are happy with it. Unfortunately you wont get the sunroof, harmon kardon audio, heads up display, and digital dashboard (a few more things) if you dont take the $8000 upgrade which puts the price up to 40k. It might be the best cheap ev but I'd pay more for a M3.

Does anyone have recommendations for a 2022 Electric Vehicle other than Tesla?
Since my Tesla 3 is not due to be delivered till Feb 2022, I now have time to research other options.
I am not pleased with the Advisor assigned to me and am now reading about all the problems Tesla owners have post sale - lots.
I have a Nissan Leaf, which I can keep till I get a new EV, so can take my time.
I live on Maui, so don't go long distances, unless I drive all the way around the island.
Please give me your recommendations of EVs to look into... Thanks
ID.4, ID.3, EQA, Ioniq 5 and EV6 for example are all good cars. Take a look at Bjørn Nyland youtubw review.

Living in Maui, range is probably not as big an issue, nor is blistering acceleration. I'd look at the VW offerings. They seem pretty decent and would work just fine. Clearly, Tesla's SW is a notch above the rest, but VW seems to be pushing pretty hard to improve. You may want to test drive one.

That BMW i4 is slick! I put a deposit (fully refundable) on one but I dont think I'll end up getting it. The car has over 30k in upgrade options and im not sure what will come with the base 64k m model but Im believe it wont be enough to compete with a M3P. It is eligible for the $7500 rebate though
Since BMW hasn’t sold many EV’s yet it should qualify for the $7500 credit (which is different than the new EV credit yet to be voted on in the infrastructure bill which may apply to M3 and MY).

Since BMW hasn’t sold many EV’s yet it should qualify for the $7500 credit (which is different than the new EV credit yet to be voted on in the infrastructure bill which may apply to M3 and MY).
Below is the verbiage from their website. I believe it wont get the second round because of the 50k sedan cap

Eligible for Federal Tax Credit
Up to $7,500
The effective tax credit depends on your tax situation. We recommend consulting a tax professional to validate credit availability and eligibility. While BMW of North America, LLC does its best to keep this information up-to-date, it cannot guarantee the current accuracy or your eligibility.

The new Ioniq 5 looks good, but I don't think it is "better" than a Model 3. I like the "footrest" on the Ioniq 5 LOL.
ioniq 5 looks kinda boring...these companies have a chance to make a very sporty cool looking car but they all seem to make them look alike like the i3 or leaf..very unimaginative. yuk.
Mini stays true to its styling but i always thpught minis were ugly and silly looking; not sporty or sleek

I'm in a similar situation, been exploring other evs but I keep coming back to tesla because other evs aren't as good. The problem I run into is that the cheaper evs aren't enticing enough to get me interested. I'd just rather not have a vehicle than drive a car that isn't fun to drive or have incredible features. Then as you go up in price and get into the 50s-60s with the more expensive manufacturers that are enticing you are in m3p comparison zone and none of them can compare to an m3p. Cars like the polestar and the jaguar ipace have the looks and interior but the m3p smokes them on the road so why not have that also for comparable price?

The one car that almost got me off the couch for a test drive is the mini Cooper ev. Its a nice looking car (if you like mini coops) and the tech and interior is pretty nice. They cost around 40k and have the $7500 incentive offer. I'd probably go for that if I wanted a car for the next year or less considering you'll probably be able to sell or trade in without taking a loss. Maybe go up couple thousand.
40k for that ugly boring dog? no thanks

ionic 5 looks kinda boring...these companies have a chance to make a very sporty cool looking car but they all seem to make them look alike like the i3 or leaf..very unimaginative. yuk.
Mini stays true to its styling but i always thpught minis were ugly and silly looking; not sporty or sleek
I totally disagree with you about the looks of the ioniq5. Which goes straight to the heart of the conversation about looks - each person has such unique preferences and opinions about looks. I believe these are molded by all kind of things throughout your life.. including things long forgotten from when you were young. Plus marketing and fashions that you are exposed to on an ongoing basis.

For me, i absolutely love the ioniq 5. So retro and cool and lacking all the ugly gingerbread that car makers for some reason feel they have to design into a car. Convoluted curves and angles and all kind of things that designers do for no functional reason whatsoever. Take lights - my personal opinion about lights is that the best looking car would have no lights at all. The best looking functional car has lights that blend in so nicely you barely notice them. A beautiful sculpture of any kind does not have these weird protrusions sticking out all over the place for no reason. Why do cars have this? Ugly has been shoved down our throats for way too long. One of the missions of toyota seems to be pioneering new and unique types of ugly. They are also actively trying to stop the EV revolution. Talk about looking backward!

I credit Tesla as the biggest driver of beautiful design for other cars. Thank God.. it's about time. Most other makers know now they have to compete with Tesla or end up irrelevant. A big part of Tesla is the clean and simple looks. I can't applaud Tesla enough. Back to the ioniq 5 - when it finally comes out, i could be in danger of making a colossal mistake if it looks as good in person. If i could get the ioniq 5, and my model Y is still in limbo, i might jump at it. I fully acknowledge it would probably be a mistake. But i love SO much how it looks. And a hot hatch concept version of the ioniq 5 has been spied over in Europe. Now THAT's the future!

As for the MINI, the first gen which i have is super cool in my opinion. Every generation since then, has been a slow subtle deterioration into a truly ugly car now. Again, what is this obsession with ugly? I will never understand. Then again, many many people will never understand my thoughts.. that's why cars are so cool. Go to a really big cars and coffee with every type of car imaginable. You will see so many unique and crazy owners. I respect anyone who has a passion for cars. Another win for Tesla - they are creating more "car people" out of people who previously couldn't give two shits about a stupid car. It's amazing.

Reactions: Just a Reader
If my wife is interested in switching to an EV next year, we might take a good look at the Audi Q4 E-tron. Even though it's related to the VW ID4, there seems to be plenty of differentiation and it looks to be a proper Audi vehicle. I thought the price looked pretty good when the tax credit is factored in.

It seems to me in 2022 there will be a lot of good alternatives to Tesla, which is a great thing for anyone who's shopping for an EV. That said, I'm really enjoying the MYP so far.

Reactions: hatch
I totally disagree with you about the looks of the ioniq5. Which goes straight to the heart of the conversation about looks - each person has such unique preferences and opinions about looks. I believe these are molded by all kind of things throughout your life.. including things long forgotten from when you were young. Plus marketing and fashions that you are exposed to on an ongoing basis.

For me, i absolutely love the ioniq 5. So retro and cool and lacking all the ugly gingerbread that car makers for some reason feel they have to design into a car. Convoluted curves and angles and all kind of things that designers do for no functional reason whatsoever. Take lights - my personal opinion about lights is that the best looking car would have no lights at all. The best looking functional car has lights that blend in so nicely you barely notice them. A beautiful sculpture of any kind does not have these weird protrusions sticking out all over the place for no reason. Why do cars have this? Ugly has been shoved down our throats for way too long. One of the missions of toyota seems to be pioneering new and unique types of ugly. They are also actively trying to stop the EV revolution. Talk about looking backward!

I credit Tesla as the biggest driver of beautiful design for other cars. Thank God.. it's about time. Most other makers know now they have to compete with Tesla or end up irrelevant. A big part of Tesla is the clean and simple looks. I can't applaud Tesla enough. Back to the ioniq 5 - when it finally comes out, i could be in danger of making a colossal mistake if it looks as good in person. If i could get the ioniq 5, and my model Y is still in limbo, i might jump at it. I fully acknowledge it would probably be a mistake. But i love SO much how it looks. And a hot hatch concept version of the ioniq 5 has been spied over in Europe. Now THAT's the future!

As for the MINI, the first gen which i have is super cool in my opinion. Every generation since then, has been a slow subtle deterioration into a truly ugly car now. Again, what is this obsession with ugly? I will never understand. Then again, many many people will never understand my thoughts.. that's why cars are so cool. Go to a really big cars and coffee with every type of car imaginable. You will see so many unique and crazy owners. I respect anyone who has a passion for cars. Another win for Tesla - they are creating more "car people" out of people who previously couldn't give two shits about a stupid car. It's amazing.
i bet you may have liked the kia SOUL?? lol...toaster on wheels

i bet you may have liked the kia SOUL?? lol...toaster on wheels
Ok, i didn't HATE the first Kia Soul, because it didn't have Christmas tree / tumor lights or fake air vents. A nicely executed quirky design. Not for me, but didn't strike me as being purposefully ugly. Not a fan of the vertical lights in the back either. The second gen Soul had exaggerated rear lights that wrapped all the way up and around the top of the hatch. Definitely worse and par for the course with most car designs as they change.

I'm coming from the angle of longing for the time when cars were simpler and cleaner. Not more stuff just for the sake of more stuff. For me, less is more. Simplicity is elegance. For years i was afraid those times were gone forever. I loved the original VW rabbit, for example. I also like super old cars, like Ford Model A. Another favorite is the DeLorean. As a matter of fact, Marty's Toyota pickup as well. Certain vehicles are just destined to be classics right from brand new.

Question for you.. what are some of your favorite designs?

Thread derailed - @Maui Girl I recommend looking into the Mini EV and the BMW i4 M. Mini because at 40k with a 7500 rebate you are comfortably lower than the M3 and getting a fun EV that is probably available now. BMW i4 M starts at 65k and also has 7500 rebate but will undoubtedly end up being more costly than M3P. I think you'll get BMW quality and a unique and beautiful car well worth the money.

Reactions: sleepydoc