TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recommendation for Commercial Chargers

Discussion in 'North America' started by JasonL, Jul 9, 2014.

1. JasonL

JasonL New Member

About to be held in contempt in an AZ courtroom
    The building in which my office is located is going through some renovations, and an EV charger may be in the cards. The building is relatively new, and there is plenty of power that is readily accessible around the building.

Management has asked that I give input on available commercial chargers. Any suggestions or would be greatly appreciated. Links would be even more appreciated.

The charger would be located outdoors, possibly in a covered location. Given that I am in Arizona, exposure to moisture is not a huge issue, but exposure to heat is certainly a factor to consider. Thanks in advance.

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

You want a high amp level 2 charging station(defined as 40A or greater). I suggest Clipper Creek CS-100 which has 80A output:
    High Power Category | ClipperCreek Vehicle Charging Station

The 30A stations you commonly see that were mostly paid for by government grants a few years ago are practically obsolete and shouldn't be used for new installs.

3. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

If you will be charging for people to plug in, then the only real reliable way to go is getting a Chargepoint (Electric Vehicle Charging By ChargePoint) station. If it will be free Charging, for starters, contact Tesla, They may provide a free or discounted HPWC.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Check our ClipperCreek.

5. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

I second the Clipper Creek CS-100. Full 80A capable output, universal compatibility with J-1772. We installed two at work and they are great. We received discounts from the state for the labor and installation costs as well.

6. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

I third the ClipperCreek suggestion. They have been in this business a long time and have a strong reputations on quality and competitive products.

Guy

7. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Agreed, Clipper Creek CS100 is the unit to install. The 30A stations from other manufacturers are already obsolete, and the Tesla HPWC only works with the Model S, not other EVs.

You might be able to get a discounted CS100 from Sun Country Highway, who has been installing high amp L2 stations across Canada and the US.

Canadas Leader in Electric Vehicle Products | Sun Country Highway

8. eMileage

eMileage Member

I work for Sun Country Highway. So of course I believe that we offer the best solutions at the best prices. :smile:
    Feel free to contact me if you require any information on our product portfolio and latest promotions. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Emile.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I disagree on both points. The Clipper Creek CS-60 has 48A output and an optional keypad to enable charging for charging. There is no reason to think it's less reliable than a ChargePoint. Anyway ChargePoints are overpriced and underpowered. The CS-100 discussed above unfortunately does not have the keypad option available but it's the best for free charging.

The Tesla HPWC destination charging program really isn't appropriate here. He's talking about an office building, not a long-distance driving destination. Office building charging will be for workplace commuting and needs to be able to charge Leaf, i3, etc, in addition to Tesla so it needs a J1772.

10. rcc

rcc Model S 85KW, VIN #2236

Uptime and software matters too.

Chargepoint chargers can be fixed in a 30 seconds by a high school graduate because the innards are one massive replaceable unit.

Also think about whether the business needs to track who uses the chargers, may want to charge at any point in the future and whether they want to do their maintenance or let a Chargepoint/Blink/whoever do it.

When I took part in an eval about a year or so ago, Chargepoint looked way better than anyone because their software was more feature-rich and mature and their chargers looked like they were designed for fast, easy maintenance.

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Look also at Eaton which has 70 amps PLUS credit card processing, and/or key fob access which the others do not have.