Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for Front All-Weather Mats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Hi,

I need some all-weather floor mats for the front (passenger/driver) seats of my X. Since Tesla doesn't make those, can you please provide me with some suggestions?

Also, any mat available for the trunk that fold so you can use it with the 3rd row up and down?

Thanks

I'd definitely recommend the ToughPro mats. They're by far the cheapest of the main three (WeatherTech/Tesla, ToughPro, Lloyd's). I really like the way they look too. Pictures don't quite do them justice. I was a little on the fence about the look of the ToughPro and Lloyd's mats in pictures, but I ended up getting the ToughPro because they were so much cheaper. I'm really glad that I did. I love the look of them. You can see a short video clip of the ToughPro mats in my Model X baby proofing video.

ToughPro 6 seater - Amazon.com: ToughPRO Tesla Model X Floor Mats Set - All Weather - Heavy Duty- Black Rubber - 6 Seaters (2016): Automotive
ToughPro 7 seater - Amazon.com: ToughPRO Tesla Model X Floor Mats Set - All Weather - Heavy Duty- Black Rubber- 7 Seater - (2016): Automotive

Reactions: K-MTG
I'd definitely recommend the ToughPro mats. They're by far the cheapest of the main three (WeatherTech/Tesla, ToughPro, Lloyd's). I really like the way they look too. Pictures don't quite do them justice. I was a little on the fence about the look of the ToughPro and Lloyd's mats in pictures, but I ended up getting the ToughPro because they were so much cheaper. I'm really glad that I did. I love the look of them. You can see a short video clip of the ToughPro mats in my Model X baby proofing video.

ToughPro 6 seater - Amazon.com: ToughPRO Tesla Model X Floor Mats Set - All Weather - Heavy Duty- Black Rubber - 6 Seaters (2016): Automotive
ToughPro 7 seater - Amazon.com: ToughPRO Tesla Model X Floor Mats Set - All Weather - Heavy Duty- Black Rubber- 7 Seater - (2016): Automotive

Thanks for the write up, I already have the weathertech for the back so I am trying to find the toughpro's for just the front but my searches are futile

I haven't been able to find someone who sells just the front mats. The closest I found was okutech who sells the front & 2nd row only (Amazon.com: Okutech Custom Fit XPE Leather 3D Full Surrounded Waterproof Car Floor Mats for Tesla Model X (2 seat on the second row),Black with red stitching: Automotive)

I haven't used them, but considered it since they seemed to offer coverage up the sides like the weather techs would. Kind of ugly though...

As for the 3rd row up and down. Topfit are the only mats that I've seen that allow 3rd row up and down without moving the mat around. They have the same look though....

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt
Hmm, if you already have the WeatherTech ones for the middle, I'd probably wait to get WeatherTech for the front too. It'll probably look weird having two different designs in the car. Or I guess you could get them temporarily until the WeatherTech ones become available.

Hmm, if you already have the WeatherTech ones for the middle, I'd probably wait to get WeatherTech for the front too. It'll probably look weird having two different designs in the car. Or I guess you could get them temporarily until the WeatherTech ones become available.

True, I am also disappointed by the weather-tech design for the trunk mats. On my MDX they would fold, allowing you to open/close the 3rd row without removing the mats. I will likely just take my ICE for skiing next weekend and wait for the weather tech front mats for my next ski trip next month. I really don't want to bring in snow onto the carpet and having it damage the carpet.

Though evannex is selling the front for $65, not bad for a temporary solution. Hopefully shipping will be reasonable.

If I were to take the X, the auto sock's won't ship until Friday. Will try to find those locally, I am not sure if they will require them.

If I were to go on Sunday/Monday do you think conditions will be at a R3
IMG_1194.PNG

True, I am also disappointed by the weather-tech design for the trunk mats. On my MDX they would fold, allowing you to open/close the 3rd row without removing the mats. I will likely just take my ICE for skiing next weekend and wait for the weather tech front mats for my next ski trip next month. I really don't want to bring in snow onto the carpet and having it damage the carpet.

Though evannex is selling the front for $65, not bad for a temporary solution. Hopefully shipping will be reasonable.

If I were to take the X, the auto sock's won't ship until Friday. Will try to find those locally, I am not sure if they will require them.

If I were to go on Sunday/Monday do you think conditions will be at a R3
View attachment 214422

Doubtfully R3 but when it's snowing it is almost always R2. Not sure how often cal trans/CHP checks to see if you are carrying chains in socal though.

I've taken my X skiing many times this winter and I'm not super careful about snow/mud on the front mats but they are still looking like new.

Doubtfully R3 but when it's snowing it is almost always R2. Not sure how often cal trans/CHP checks to see if you are carrying chains in socal though.

I've taken my X skiing many times this winter and I'm not super careful about snow/mud on the front mats but they are still looking like new.

The only time I needed chains or I thought I did was back in 2011. They asked me if I had chains and I responded "no" so I had to go back down and pick up some chains for my AWD MDX. The only time I experienced a "checkpoint" was twice that year.

Perhaps I misunderstood and assumed I had to put on chains instead of just merely having them. But the conditions were really bad that year, I initially went to the Lake Arrowhead resort via highway 18 and continued to running springs but on my return I attempted to take highway 330, the entire freeway was closed due to the snow. So it is possible that I actually needed chains.

I probably went up to the mountains at least 30 times in the past 10 years and I only needed them twice (6% of the time). Obviously the auto socks will offer a peace of mind from the CHP, but then I will fear suspension damage. And the Tesla chains aren't worth $500 since their is a 94% chance I won't need them. But I suppose paying $500 is better than being paranoid about "needing" chains.

Perhaps we can start a chain leading program like some forum members did with the Chademo adapter.

Since I only wanted the front set, I went with the Lloyds. They were pretty cheap from autoanything after a coupon. Only using as a temp set until the Tesla front mats available. I like them though. Since they are black, they blend well with the Tesla all weather mats.

Just pulled the highway conditions on highway 330 and 18 from 2011. It looks like they required chains.
I should just buy them but I can't justify $500 for chains. If it was a sunshade thats a different story.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 1.08.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 1.08.05 PM.png
    189.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 1.08.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 1.08.34 PM.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Funny
Reactions: F123456
The only time I needed chains or I thought I did was back in 2011. They asked me if I had chains and I responded "no" so I had to go back down and pick up some chains for my AWD MDX. The only time I experienced a "checkpoint" was twice that year.

Perhaps I misunderstood and assumed I had to put on chains instead of just merely having them. But the conditions were really bad that year, I initially went to the Lake Arrowhead resort via highway 18 and continued to running springs but on my return I attempted to take highway 330, the entire freeway was closed due to the snow. So it is possible that I actually needed chains.

I probably went up to the mountains at least 30 times in the past 10 years and I only needed them twice (6% of the time). Obviously the auto socks will offer a peace of mind from the CHP, but then I will fear suspension damage. And the Tesla chains aren't worth $500 since their is a 94% chance I won't need them. But I suppose paying $500 is better than being paranoid about "needing" chains.

Perhaps we can start a chain leading program like some forum members did with the Chademo adapter.

This year has been quite on par with or greater than 2011 snow wise all over CA so far. I have only experienced R3 a few times in my many years in the Sierra. One of them was this year in January, all the other times are R2 where I tell CHP I have chains (sometimes they want to see), in my old suburban they normally just waved me through HA. I haven't personally experienced closures but 395 to mammoth has been closed multiple times this year due to whiteout conditions.

A lending program would be nice, but with auto socks being pretty cheap that would probably be much easier(assuming they are suspension safe). I go skiing enough that having the te$la chains is worth it.

This year has been quite on par with or greater than 2011 snow wise all over CA so far. I have only experienced R3 a few times in my many years in the Sierra. One of them was this year in January, all the other times are R2 where I tell CHP I have chains (sometimes they want to see), in my old suburban they normally just waved me through HA. I haven't personally experienced closures but 395 to mammoth has been closed multiple times this year due to whiteout conditions.

A lending program would be nice, but with auto socks being pretty cheap that would probably be much easier(assuming they are suspension safe). I go skiing enough that having the te$la chains is worth it.

Though on the live chat the Tesla rep told me the auto socks are fine, I will try to reach out to @JonMc for a confirmation.

UPDATE: Just sent him a message: MacTechGenius on Twitter

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 1.33.54 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: McManX