Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for New Rotors & Pads for a 2013 Model S P90+ ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searched forums and didn't find any recommendations for new rotors and brake pads. I've got a 2013 Model S (staggered 21" wheels) with 120k miles and need to replace all four rotors and pads. I just received an estimate from the SC and the total is $1,718.00 ($1290.00 for parts and $321 for labor).

I learned that a service bulletin was issued for new rotors a few years ago so the below info probably reflects that. This is what the estimate included:

---------------

Front Rotors Part #: 6006-420-00-A $240.00 each
Rear Rotors Part #: 6006-431-00-C $165.00 each

Front Pads Service Kit (Brembo??) Part #: HP1000-T (1055066-00-B) $285.00
Rear Pads SVC Kit Part #: 1068331-00-A $195.00

---------------

I'm sure I can save $$ by purchasing other rotors and pads but would like recommendations from everyone. Not looking to get drilled or slotted rotors. I'm also planning to do the job myself with an expert mechanic. Thanks!

Here is a thread about my experience replacing rotors and pads:

Bosch brake + rotor replacement

I am happy with the performance, even if I technically bought incompatible pads. Total for both rotors and a set of pads was around $200. The rotors still look new (granted it has only been 6 months) and the brakes still stop well with no vibration. The job is pretty straightforward as brake jobs go, but I struggled more than I thought I would when getting the old pads out of the caliper. Probably should have applied more beer.

Reactions: alloverx
I investigated this a bit, and found that both GiroDisc and EBC make lightweight two-piece rotors for the Model S that fit the stock calipers with no modifications. I ordered the GiroDisc, and received a set of front rotors and can confirm that they are 22.4 lbs each (vs. 29.3 lbs stock Brembo rotors).
While 14 lbs might not sound like much, I have read a lot about this and saving 14 lbs of rotating unsprung mass is apparently the equivalent of removing about 150-200 lbs of fixed mass from the car. This is because you need to accelerate and decelerate this spinning mass (as well as accelerate and decelerate it as part of the total mass of the car).

I previously invested in lightweight OZ Ultraleggerra wheels (23 lbs. vs. stock 30 lbs), and I can say that they dramatically improve the steering and handling feel of the car. https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...leggera+HLT&wheelFinish=Matte+Graphite+Silver

Besides the improvement in handling and steering, I am hoping to realize a small improvement in range.

I haven't installed the rotors yet... will attempt the install soon once I have a free weekend. Wish me luck.

Depending on the mass location of the wheel (hub vs barrel), I would not expect the same rotating mass benefit as lighter wheels. The weight loss with 2 piece rotors is all lost at the hub which is very close to the center of the axle. It's still a good reduction in unsprung weight, however, which is also a good thing.

That all said, it's nice that there are companies making 2 piece rotors for the S. They are expensive though! I remember buying 2-piece rotors + 4-piston calipers + pads for my Miata. The whole shooting match was $600! They are only 11 inches though...

I am just about done replacing the ORIGINAL brakes on my 2013 P85 with 288,800 km's. Well - Rotor's were turned and still well within Brembo Spec (that saved $1000) and instead of replacing the 3 seized calipers, I repaired them at a savings of another $3000. So my Tesla Inspired Brake rob of $2800 would have been $5800+. Not to say drilling out rusted caliper pins and broken caliper bolts was easy - but knowing that I was saving almost $1000 per assembly, I'll tell you - the local machine shops rate of $45 was MORE than reasonable. With the $5000+ in savings and about 200 pounds of salvage, I think I'm gonna take my family on a nice vacation.

Reactions: Vip
I am just about done replacing the ORIGINAL brakes on my 2013 P85 with 288,800 km's. Well - Rotor's were turned and still well within Brembo Spec (that saved $1000) and instead of replacing the 3 seized calipers, I repaired them at a savings of another $3000. So my Tesla Inspired Brake rob of $2800 would have been $5800+. Not to say drilling out rusted caliper pins and broken caliper bolts was easy - but knowing that I was saving almost $1000 per assembly, I'll tell you - the local machine shops rate of $45 was MORE than reasonable. With the $5000+ in savings and about 200 pounds of salvage, I think I'm gonna take my family on a nice vacation.
I had seized front calipers too but ended up buying another set from a third party. Where or how did you fix your seized calipers. I still have mine sitting in the garage and trying to figure out what to do with them.

Just an update... the installation of the front GiroDisc two-piece rotors went (reasonably) well. They are really well made, and I realized that the stock rotors were probably end-of-life anyway. I immediately noticed an improvement in the handling and a new quickness in the steering responsiveness. Enough so that I have a set of rear two-piece rotors on order.

Also they look pretty cool, if you are into that sort of thing... ;)

This website has more detailed specifications, including comparing the rotors to stock. But I found them significantly cheaper at BuyBrakes.com. Good luck!

Model S and X ULTRAdiscs — InoKinetic

Just an update... the installation of the front GiroDisc two-piece rotors went (reasonably) well. They are really well made, and I realized that the stock rotors were probably end-of-life anyway. I immediately noticed an improvement in the handling and a new quickness in the steering responsiveness. Enough so that I have a set of rear two-piece rotors on order.

Also they look pretty cool, if you are into that sort of thing... ;)

This website has more detailed specifications, including comparing the rotors to stock. But I found them significantly cheaper at BuyBrakes.com. Good luck!

Model S and X ULTRAdiscs — InoKinetic
I know it's been awhile, but what do you mean the installation went "reasonably" well? Not sure if that was sarcasm or not. Also, are the front and rear rotors the same?