TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Recommendation for PPF installation in Austin

Discussion in 'Texas' started by TexasRat, Jul 1, 2018.

1. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

I should be picking up my Model X late this month and I'm trying to narrow down installers for PPF on the car. I think the plan is to get a full wrap on the car. I don't think it matters if it's SunTek vs. Xpel, rather I just want to find someone who does a good job and stands by their work. Anyone have recommendations in the Austin area that have been very happy with the work done?

I'm not considering driving to Dallas/Houston/San Antonion since that'd almost defeat the purpose since I think it's safe to assume it'll get all scratched and nicked by the time I get there with the way our roads are.

Thanks!

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

XPEL factory shop on N. Lamar. They also did paint correction, ceramic coating, and window film on my Model 3 if you’re interested in that. They had 25% off just on the PPF for Tesla this spring, don’t know if they’re still doing that discount, but they always have 10% off everything for the local Tesla group.

3. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

Thanks for the info! I'll contact Duane again as it's getting closer for me to make a decision. So far, he's the only guy that installs XPEL as the rest seem to specialize in SunTek. I'm primarily looking at it to protect my X from road rash and chips, so I'm starting to think XPEL might be better than SunTek from that perspective.

4. Xd85

Xd85 Member

@TexasRat yup, i got that as well. at the time there was a 10% discount for TMC, and 10% discount if you work for a local employer (don't know which exactly). PM'ed you about tint, just realized you have an X so YMMV

5. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

Thanks for that info. How long ago did you have yours done?

6. Xd85

Xd85 Member

Jan 2018

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

Duane (XPEL) did my Model S back in November...

8. buddwm

buddwm Member

Duane did a PPF install for me on my Model 3, but I got mixed results. The hood of the car looks great, but I posted a link to some issues I found. This is my first PPF install so not sure what I should expect...

9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

@buddwm was your install hand cut ? ...the dirt comes typically cuz installer doesn’t wet down area around car when installing ..very easy for particles to get caught up under fender...I would take back and have them redo the overlaps seems like a rushed install .. @TexasRat i would pick a film product u want first as there are differences in look, thickness and glossiness..than research from yelp...sometimes these vendors when they get a rush of referrals from forums get busy and may not do as good work ..plus sometimes they apply the “Tesla tax”

10. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

Yeah. I had decided that I was most interested in XPEL but there didn't seem to be many places that actually did the work in Austin. A lot of places do SunTek around here. I saw a lot of cars in the XPEL Austin shop and they looked really good. The shop looked good and clean, and the installers seemed to do a good job. As far as the "Tesla tax" I'm not sure if the price is unreasonable. A full wrap was about $4400?

11. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

4400 is decent price for full wrap ..

• Like x 1
  12. buddwm

buddwm Member

Just to update on my previous issues - Duane fixed most of the issues I had with the original install.

• Like x 1
  13. TxEx84

TxEx84 New Member

Just FYI. Received quote from Duane in June for full wrap of Model 3. It was $5500 (minus 10%). Having a hard time justifying that cost.

14. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

Was the $5500 including the 10% discount? That seems extremely high for a model 3. Are you doing XPEL stealth? I know stealth is at minimum $1k more than glossy

15. ummgood

ummgood Member

Brian Daly at Austin Detailing is amazing. Really top notch service.