Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RECOMMENDATION ON CHARGING

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Guys,

Ordered our Model X 75D last month. Still contemplating on whether to get the NEMA 15-50 kW or Wall connector? We are casual driver with daily driving of 20-30 miles. Any suggestion? Second Question, what's your cost on install installing 240volt NEMA?

Thank you,

Future Tesla owner,

Ted

Hello Guys,

Ordered our Model X 75D last month. Still contemplating on whether to get the NEMA 15-50 kW or Wall connector? We are casual driver with daily driving of 20-30 miles. Any suggestion? Second Question, what's your cost on install installing 240volt NEMA?

Thank you,

Future Tesla owner,

Ted
Welcome to the forum and Tesla family.

One size does not fit all, but I have been happy with the NEMA 15-40 outlet and the charging cable that comes with the vehicle.

The Wall Connector is more attractive and can offer a higher amperage if you bought the 72A on board charger. It would also allow you to keep your charging cable in the car for road trips (I have to unplug my cable from the wall to store it in the car). On the other hand, installing the outlet may be more flexible and future proof. My wife just bought a plug in hybrid for which we are getting an aftermarket Juicebox charger which can be plugged into the same outlet.

Hello Guys,

Thank you,

Future Tesla owner,

Ted
@TEDHE313 We have a 75D with a similar daily driving pattern, but also take 2 or 3 long trips per year. We started out by just using a NEMA 14-50 socket, but then installed a HPWC.
Our reasons:
1. I like always having the mobile charger in the car when leaving home and didn't want to risk forgetting it. (see post on owner in the northwest asking if anyone had a UMC he could borrow because his was in his garage)
2. Plugging and unplugging the UMC creates wear and tear on both the socket and the cord.
3. Redundancy: I wired my HPWC to plug into the 14-50 socket. If the HPWC fails, I can unplug it and use the UMC. But if I only used the UMC everyday, and it failed, I had no backup.
Now, my concerns were likely overblown. Many Tesla owners use only their UMC for day to day charging with no issues. But the above was our logic, and we've been very happy with this option.

Welcome to the forum! Same driving patterns. I use a 14-30 (because I already had it) and get 15 mph of charging or 180 miles over night. No issue to unplug the mobile connector and take it on a trip. Don't over think it. From a not "one of the guys" member.

We started out by just using a NEMA 14-50 socket, but then installed a HPWC.

We pretty much did the same thing, and for the same reasons, except we did both right up front. To answer your other question, that cost $500 for the electrician and the parts he brought (plug, 2 breakers, wire and conduit, but obviously not the HPWC). Both were installed very close to the main panel, and we did not need a permit.

For my S I found another charging cable on eBay and just leave that hung on my wall plugged into a NEMA 14-50 - 3 years later never a problem - if I need a range charge I just set it to start charging earlier. More than efficient enough.

However, with my new MXP100D coming in, I am getting a free wall charger from the referral program...so that will replace my cable ONLY because it was free and I will keep the extra cable as an emergency back-up.

Our Tesla owner advisor said almost everyone just install the NEMA 14-50 including himself. The reason being that if charging outside of home is needed, the J1772 adapter will cover most non-Tesla EV charging station, and being in SoCal, there are also plenty of Tesla supercharge stations around. The only time we may want to take the UMC in the car is on a road trip charging at a friend's house or vacation home overnight. He said if we want to buy the WC, might as well just buy another Mobile Connector Bundle. The mobile connector bundle can be easily resold if we don't need it later.

When we got our Model S I had an electrician install a 14-50 and also install a breaker and run wire for an HPWC. A few months later, I added the HPWC. I love it. As others have said, the longer, sturdier cable of the HPWC is nice, as is the convenience of leaving the mobile charger in the car. Also, having an HPWC on an 80-amp circuit allowed me to offer faster charging to those finding me on PlugShare than if I had stuck with a 14-50. (Granted, as more and more Superchargers are deployed, this is less of an issue.) And, during the handful of times per year that we really want the faster turnaround that charging at 80-amps gives us, having the HPWC to do that is very nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gwgan
Hello Guys,

Thank you,

Future Tesla owner,

Ted

Congrats, and welcome to the forum!

With 20 - 30 miles a day, you may be able to just use the 120 V connector included with the Model X. You can achieve about 4 miles per hour replenishment (4 miles per hour x 10 hours over night = 40 miles gained). A 240 V connection will definitely be much faster though. Consider that you have the Superchargers when needed as well.

You can achieve about 4 miles per hour replenishment (4 miles per hour x 10 hours over night = 40 miles gained).
I would think that's a bit of an overestimate. A Model S can only get about 3.5 miles per hour or so on a good day. A Model X, with its higher consumption because of more weight and worse aerodynamics would be lucky to get 3. I only have a 4 mile round trip commute to work, so I get the short driving thing, but you're frequently going to do more driving than 30 or 40 miles can do for you, so it's going to feel limiting very quickly. 240V on even a 20 or 30A circuit will be much more comfortable.

Reactions: Big Earl
I would think that's a bit of an overestimate. A Model S can only get about 3.5 miles per hour or so on a good day. A Model X, with its higher consumption because of more weight and worse aerodynamics would be lucky to get 3. I only have a 4 mile round trip commute to work, so I get the short driving thing, but you're frequently going to do more driving than 30 or 40 miles can do for you, so it's going to feel limiting very quickly. 240V on even a 20 or 30A circuit will be much more comfortable.

I just took delivery of a Model X 75D this week. FYI, for the past 2 days I've been charging at night on a 120V outlet and I have been consistently getting 4 miles per hour of charge.

I'm having a HPWC installed on Friday for $1,000 (plus cost of unit). My reasoning is that I want to always keep UMC in the car and I'd like the ability to charge at a faster rate in case it's ever needed -- and it looks pretty cool.

PSA for those looking for a spare UMC - the new Gen 2 ones developed for the model 3 that now come with all new cars are available on shop.teslamotors.com for $300. They are limited to 32 AMP however vs. 40 AMP on the older ones. Adapters are different too but more options available for the new Gen 2 Model S/3/X UMCs, which come bundled with 2 adapters: a NEMA 14-50 and a plain 110v one.