Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation on Tesla Wall Charger installers in So. CA, Orange County area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

theocguy

M3RWD - MSM/BLK/OD:03/22/Picked up 10/31/2022
Feb 11, 2022
Southern CA
While the M3 RWD won't be delivered, if it all goes well, until Aug, 2022; and MYLR won't be here until end of this year, I am doing researches on the installer and charges on installing a Tesla Wall Charger in my garage.

Any recommendation, advise, and watch out on hiring an electrician to do the installation in Orange County, CA?

While the M3 RWD won't be delivered, if it all goes well, until Aug, 2022; and MYLR won't be here until end of this year, I am doing researches on the installer and charges on installing a Tesla Wall Charger in my garage.

Any recommendation, advise, and watch out on hiring an electrician to do the installation in Orange County, CA?
We use The Recessed Lighting Company for all of our electrical needs. They are coming out to install 60A 240V with NEMA 14-50 outlet and will install the Tesla charger.

Reactions: theocguy
It was $450.00 but my wall charger is just behind the breaker box outside the garage wall. They will ask you to send pictures where you want it installed in relation to your box location before they give you a quote. I found them in the list of Tesla's approved installer. They're nice people and I liked their work.
hi Ikelo,

I assume you have a MY. If you had a M3RWD and MYLR, would you install 2 chargers or rather a single one? I am in this cross road as M3RWD can only be charged at 32A (40A breaker) and MYLR can go up to 48A (60A breaker). If I would charge the MYLR at 32A and it only can reach 29 miles per hour rather than 42 miles per hour charge time at 48A.

It was $450.00 but my wall charger is just behind the breaker box outside the garage wall. They will ask you to send pictures where you want it installed in relation to your box location before they give you a quote. I found them in the list of Tesla's approved installer. They're nice people and I liked their work.
thank you. Thats actually a solid deal. I need to get to work on this

Since you'll have 2 EV's, a couple Wall Chargers might make sense. They can manage one circuit to charge both at the same time.
My use case is a single MYLR so I just installed a 14-50 socket/enclosure in the garage with conduit to the service panel, then hired an electrician to do the finish wiring.
He charged $225 which included the conductors (wire) and breaker replacement. It was a simple 8 foot run.

He's in Huntington Beach - Daniel Kerber 774-230-6460 [email protected]

hi Ikelo,

I assume you have a MY. If you had a M3RWD and MYLR, would you install 2 chargers or rather a single one? I am in this cross road as M3RWD can only be charged at 32A (40A breaker) and MYLR can go up to 48A (60A breaker). If I would charge the MYLR at 32A and it only can reach 29 miles per hour rather than 42 miles per hour charge time at 48A.
theocguy,

Sorry didn't see this. Yes, I have a MYLR. Even if I have a another M3, I'll just have one charger. Thanks.

(1) New/Current wall Tesla Gen3 charger needs 60A breakers to maximize its design
(2) 24ft cable with Gen 3 charger
(3) Supposedly U get 40miles+/hr of charging
(4) It has a built-in GFI which is required in Delaware

Installation costs depend on (a) distance from your circuit breaker to your charger in/or around your garage (b) who U you hire. I've used a Master electrician here, who is certified and licensed, in DE. If you have 14-50 outlet installed, then U MUST have a GFI installed with your 14-50 outlet or it could -in the long run- damage your battery

If you have 14-50 outlet installed, then U MUST have a GFI installed with your 14-50 outlet
Yes, that's correct, because it's required by electric code.
or it could -in the long run- damage your battery
No, it can't. GFCI's don't have anything to do with your battery, and it can't damage it. That is there for the protection of a human to not get electrocuted and killed if they are touching a prong while plugging in, and are standing barefoot in a puddle of water, and the circuit completes through their body.

Reactions: howardnj
Hey socal Orange County Tesla owners. Seattle 2022 Tesla model S LR owner here lurking for some help for my in laws on install referrals. I see a couple on the top of the forum but was wondering if there are others companies to get quote from. My in laws are getting a MY in Aug and they got quoted 3k for what I believe a wall connector install from Tesla but they got a 2k quote from someone else they use. I don’t know all their details on their house but I feel that’s pretty excessive. Any input would help. TIA

Hey socal Orange County Tesla owners. Seattle 2022 Tesla model S LR owner here lurking for some help for my in laws on install referrals. I see a couple on the top of the forum but was wondering if there are others companies to get quote from. My in laws are getting a MY in Aug and they got quoted 3k for what I believe a wall connector install from Tesla but they got a 2k quote from someone else they use. I don’t know all their details on their house but I feel that’s pretty excessive. Any input would help. TIA
Get more details if this forum is expected to be more informative. I assume your in-laws are here in OC, not in WA..... ;-)
Otherwise, just call the guy in Huntington Beach I listed earlier.

Local electricians are well aware that SoCal Edison will subsidize an EV charger install up to $800.
So many start their bids at that and go up. Some don't. Depends on which way the wind is blowing.

In general, a Wall Charger (for $550) isn't necessary for a single EV application. Nice, but not necessary.
You just need a 14-50 receptacle installed, then a 14-50 adapter ($45 from Tesla) for the Universal Mobile Charger that comes with the car.
The UMC stays plugged in all the time. The 18ft plug line gets coiled up on a hanger ($16 on Amazon), and then used only when the car needs charging.
Let the electrician recommend the whole GFCI thing that's stirring the pot here. GFCI requirements may influence a need for the WC, or may not.

Get more details if this forum is expected to be more informative. I assume your in-laws are here in OC, not in WA..... ;-)
Otherwise, just call the guy in Huntington Beach I listed earlier.

Local electricians are well aware that SoCal Edison will subsidize an EV charger install up to $800.
So many start their bids at that and go up. Some don't. Depends on which way the wind is blowing.

In general, a Wall Charger (for $550) isn't necessary for a single EV application. Nice, but not necessary.
You just need a 14-50 receptacle installed, then a 14-50 adapter ($45 from Tesla) for the Universal Mobile Charger that comes with the car.
The UMC stays plugged in all the time. The 18ft plug line gets coiled up on a hanger ($16 on Amazon), and then used only when the car needs charging.
Let the electrician recommend the whole GFCI thing that's stirring the pot here. GFCI requirements may influence a need for the WC, or may not.
how many miles per hour would you get if you went with this method and just install a 14-50 receptacle?

...but getting pretty cost comparable with a lot of the extra stuff you need to buy to use an outlet instead.
You just need a 14-50 receptacle installed,
Use a decent solid one, which will run about $40-$50.
then a 14-50 adapter ($45 from Tesla) for the Universal Mobile Charger that comes with the car.
...and then also the expensive GFCI breaker that EV charging outlets are required to use. Those are about $120. And then you probably want some kind of hook or hanger to mount on the wall to coil the cable on. Something basic for that would be maybe another $20-$25. And doing a 14-50 requires three conductor wire plus ground, whereas the wall connector only requires two conductors plus ground. So depending on distance, the wiring run for the outlet may be noticeably more expensive.

It's getting to where the extra cost of the wall connector is only about 200 more, not $550. And that gives you an extra charging device. So that's something to consider more nowdays.

...but getting pretty cost comparable with a lot of the extra stuff you need to buy to use an outlet instead.

Use a decent solid one, which will run about $40-$50.

...and then also the expensive GFCI breaker that EV charging outlets are required to use. Those are about $120. And then you probably want some kind of hook or hanger to mount on the wall to coil the cable on. Something basic for that would be maybe another $20-$25. And doing a 14-50 requires three conductor wire plus ground, whereas the wall connector only requires two conductors plus ground. So depending on distance, the wiring run for the outlet may be noticeably more expensive.

It's getting to where the extra cost of the wall connector is only about 200 more, not $550. And that gives you an extra charging device. So that's something to consider more nowdays.
My back-of-envelope math:
HARDWARE: Wall Charger: 500
14-50: receptacle, enclosure, UMC adapter, GFCI breaker: 230 add cable hanger: 20 TOTAL 250
The additional cost difference for the 14-50 receptacle (vs WC) is a single strand of conductor (4 vs 3). Conduit for either WC or 14-50 costs the same.
My estimates for 14-50 components are generous - more than I paid at a local electrical supply distributor here in SoCAL.

The roughly $250 difference might be minutiae if the conductor runs are long or complex, in which case the WC features weigh more.

These installations aren't rocket science but do require some understanding and ability, and for many it's best to rely on electricans' knowledge and licensing.
I think your generous commentary on this forum underscores that point.

I had a very simple 6 foot run to my service panel and hired a local electrician to do the final wiring after I did all the hardware installation.

Last edited: