Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation on Tesla Wall Charger installers in So. CA, Orange County area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get more details if this forum is expected to be more informative. I assume your in-laws are here in OC, not in WA..... ;-)
Otherwise, just call the guy in Huntington Beach I listed earlier.

Local electricians are well aware that SoCal Edison will subsidize an EV charger install up to $800.
So many start their bids at that and go up. Some don't. Depends on which way the wind is blowing.

In general, a Wall Charger (for $550) isn't necessary for a single EV application. Nice, but not necessary.
You just need a 14-50 receptacle installed, then a 14-50 adapter ($45 from Tesla) for the Universal Mobile Charger that comes with the car.
The UMC stays plugged in all the time. The 18ft plug line gets coiled up on a hanger ($16 on Amazon), and then used only when the car needs charging.
Let the electrician recommend the whole GFCI thing that's stirring the pot here. GFCI requirements may influence a need for the WC, or may not.
Yea sorry I forgot to mention they are in Orange County, garden grove area. I’m telling them now to contact the ones listed. Thanks

If I recall correctly, 14-50 gets 21mph at 32A or 29mph at 48A, and the WC can do up to 44mph at 60A.
You're mixing up some information here. You're listing 48A and 60A as if they are two separate things, but that's one thing. Because it's a code requirement that constant loads can only run at 80% of the circuit level, and all EV charging is now defined as constant load, all of the charging equipment is built to use that requirement.

So you can't draw 48A from a 14-50. The 60A rated circuit of a wall connector is what will supply 48A to the car.

Reactions: theocguy
I believe if an owner to install 14-50, most likely he/she wants to charge the car using the mobile charger. The mobile charger limits to charge at 32A. If someone wants to charge the car a 48A, it needs to go with the wall connector.

You're mixing up some information here. You're listing 48A and 60A as if they are two separate things, but that's one thing. Because it's a code requirement that constant loads can only run at 80% of the circuit level, and all EV charging is now defined as constant load, all of the charging equipment is built to use that requirement.

So you can't draw 48A from a 14-50. The 60A rated circuit of a wall connector is what will supply 48A to the car.
yes.
UMC limits to 32A and the associated charging speed. Which will typically get you to a full charge overnight.

Interestingly, my UMC has been shown on the Tesla App at 48A on occasion. But not recently. Don't know why, can't link that to a SW version.

Last edited: