Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for a Level2’mobile charger extension in the garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had the distance measured and ready for the car to arrive. It was tight fit 18ft span with a 20 ft cable plus the adapter. But when thrnModel Y finally arrived it turns out the cable doesn’t quite reach the charger. I had a NEMA 14-50 four pin outlets already installed in the garage in anticipation, but now a 4-5 for exoebsion cable to get to the charging port of the car. Amazon gives a lot of options, but many have reviews of users suggest they develop problems after a few days or weeks of use. Has anybody here use an extension cable and if yes which type/brand

I already tried parking the car both way doesn’t make any difference.

Here's a picture of my garage, ignore the fact that the car parked is not the Tesla, but that's where it is usually parked. My 3rd car garage is relatively narrow and that's where the breakers are, so I had the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed near the breaker box. The workbench and some of the associated tools and things can be moved but the problem is the Mod-Y will probably not squeeze through in that space, it's barely wide for a compact car.
The length from the outlet to the charging port of the Tesla is about 18ft, but due to the fact that the cable sticks out towards right I need atleast 3-4 ft slack to get the connection properly hooked up.

Garage Tesla charging.jpg

Here's a Level 2 charging station (Wall Box) on Amazon that has a NEMA 14-50 plug and a 25 foot cord on it as standard equipment ($599 including a $50 coupon that you can click on)...Or, alternatively, you could have the 14-50 receptacle extended with conduit so that it's closer to your car's charge port so that the standard less expensive Mobile Connector will reach...If you do end up using an extension cord on your existing setup, I would definitely recommend dialing down the charging amps and not trying to charge at full power...

The extension cord should work okay. I would likely run it overhead and drop the outlet down the wall where the ladders are standing keeping it on the edge away from the opening to reduce the chances of it getting wet. I am not running an extension cord, but I did purchase an extra mobile charger which remains in my garage at all times. This reduces the wear and tear on the outlet and also gives you a spare charger. I simply turn off the breaker when not in use for safety and to prevent lightning damage.

I had the same issue with a 3 car garage. I ended up placing the charger on the wall closest to the house between stalls 1 & 2.... and then had it wired for a second charger I can add later on the strip of wall betweens stalls 2 & 3, but on the driveway side.

If the cable was just a bit longer i could have gotten away with 1.

Since I asked for help here thought I'd provide an update. I did what @Rottenapplr recommended. Have been using it for a couple of weeks and seems like a good solution. This was the extension cable I bought. It's very thick and stiff. I have checked any effects of warming to suggest it was being overloaded and haven't noticed any such thing. If anything the Tesla mobile charger cable feels a little warm. This extension cable is significantly overbuilt to handle a 32 Amp current. Chances are the risk of litigation is driving Tesla to not recommend extension cables. But as an electrical engineer, I don't see why extension cables can not be used for high Amp applications. As long as the contact between the two cables is tight/snug and there is plenty of surface area that remains in contact. Seems to work for me others can draw their own conclusions.

Reactions: Rottenapplr
Since I asked for help here thought I'd provide an update. I did what @Rottenapplr recommended. Have been using it for a couple of weeks and seems like a good solution. This was the extension cable I bought. It's very thick and stiff. I have checked any effects of warming to suggest it was being overloaded and haven't noticed any such thing. If anything the Tesla mobile charger cable feels a little warm. This extension cable is significantly overbuilt to handle a 32 Amp current. Chances are the risk of litigation is driving Tesla to not recommend extension cables. But as an electrical engineer, I don't see why extension cables can not be used for high Amp applications. As long as the contact between the two cables is tight/snug and there is plenty of surface area that remains in contact. Seems to work for me others can draw their own conclusions.
Glad it worked out for you. We since moved but looking at this pre-wired ev charging garage the place features. I’m looking to buy a dedicated home charging box like a juice box. Maybe I will sell the long extension cable.