Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for Aftermarket Door panel ambient lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Just came across this now I want it.

• What I do not want: Buy the PUP door panels to get this effect :eek:
Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 8E4A9636-62ED-4651-8AC0-4668E96A381F.jpeg
    8E4A9636-62ED-4651-8AC0-4668E96A381F.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 181
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GL5R56/ I used these, but found them a little bright... You need to heat them with a hair dryer after install to ensure the adhesive sticks.

You can also get the tesla ones for about $50 each door.

Where did you connect them? I've thought about adding my own LED strip. The PUP connector is inside the door panel but has to be activated through software which Tesla are not willing to do.

Where did you connect them? I've thought about adding my own LED strip. The PUP connector is inside the door panel but has to be activated through software which Tesla are not willing to do.

You do need to find a service center to help you activate. Other options are run your own wires, or have them on all the time from power into door on the controllers.

Did you manage to get the SC to activate it for you? If so how??
Personally I will piggyback any 12v switched source I find in the door, probably one leading to the main door control harness *fingers crossed.

If you’re fiddling with it before I have a chance- it’ll be important to find the one active when the door is (open/shut)but the screen (on) and not off.

Shadious, ain't it nice to have such cooperative SC? NOT.
Yeah, the service centers can barely keep up with regular requests, much less do one offs. I ended up buying my ambient lights from a forum member who was parting out a couple Model S’s. I got everything hooked up and was lucky to find a way to get the lights to work. Weirdly enough, the front door panels will not come off completely, as there is a strap in the front of panel that attaches it to the door. I had to work around if, as I didn’t feel like removing and replacing the river. Pics below:
6A0C7F76-5431-4CC0-8B7E-95FC907F66E5.jpeg 680A435E-86C9-4A2D-8110-471BEBDAB347.jpeg B9F6FE39-6794-4081-BBA6-44F544902BBA.jpeg DC13E103-9EDD-4AF8-897F-2DE0EB337AD9.jpeg

Yeah, the service centers can barely keep up with regular requests, much less do one offs. I ended up buying my ambient lights from a forum member who was parting out a couple Model S’s. I got everything hooked up and was lucky to find a way to get the lights to work. Weirdly enough, the front door panels will not come off completely, as there is a strap in the front of panel that attaches it to the door. I had to work around if, as I didn’t feel like removing and replacing the river. Pics below:
View attachment 527336 View attachment 527337 View attachment 527339 View attachment 527341
Dont remove that strap. It is there to keep the panel in place if the seat airbags go off, That should have been introduced with NextGen seats.