TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recommendations for electrician in Southern California

Discussion in 'California' started by irvineboy, Apr 13, 2015.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Hi Folks,

Was wondering if you knew anyone in So Cal you can recommend to do install in garage for power charger? What can I expect to pay?

Tesla Gear Shop Wall Connector

Is it worth it to buy this wall connector for $750?
    Or just get the regular outlet installed?

2. ra-san

ra-san Member

There's lots of threads about why one would want to get the permanently mounted charger vs. using the mobile one, boiling down to convenience and potentially safety (due to less wear and tear and rated, permanent connections).

Your service center likely has some electrician recommendations for you. There's also threads in the local forums with electrician recommendations, as well as some in the corporate Tesla regional forum. I'm in Socal, but in San Diego, so won't repeat my recommendation here, but do suggest you take a look at those other threads. Price will vary based on how far a run has to be made. It'll be a bit higher for the wall connecter than for a 14-50 outlet, if you wire to the full capacity of the wall connector, just due to the larger wire needed, but otherwise there's nothing remarkable about the install. It's good to get someone whose done them so there's no surprises.

My own personal opinion on the wall connector is that it is absolutely worth it, especially now the price has been reduced from it's old price.

3. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

I am not an electrician. I did some research and am still confused.

It says if you get a

240v/24A outlet, it charges in 14 hrs (standard onboard)
    240v/40A outlet, it charges in 8 hrs (standard onboard)
    240v/40A outlet, it charges in 4 hrs (standard onboard and dedicated charger)

I am not sure what the last two are. Both are 240v and 40A. I am guessing this $750 wall charger makes it charge 2x as fast? But your car has to have the dual charging $1500 option right?

4. ra-san

ra-san Member

Unless you often expect to do long distance, short turn around drives, don't worry too much about the speed of charge, period. You usually aren't charging very much, and you don't really care how long it takes. You plug it in when you get home, then forget about it. (just don't plan on using 120v primarily - that *is* painfully slow, but it's been done in a pinch)

The wall charger can charge at 80A (on a 100A circuit) if your car has the dual charger option. It can also be configured at install to be 40Amp or other values (and reconfigured if needed - it's just flipping some switches). In the US, on AC, your car will charge at 40Amp maximum with a single charger.

Not sure where the wording you put comes from. Looking at Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors they seem to have a fairly complete page about the options.
    Basically, it's roughly 29 miles per hour of charging from a 40A source, to 58 miles per hour of charging from the 80A wall connector. Those are rated miles, actual miles vary based on how you drive, conditions, etc. Also, just because it is often asked, dual chargers are all about AC charging, and aren't required for and have nothing to do with Supercharging on Tesla's network.

5. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

I've been almost a year now using a Nema 14-50 setup like #2. It's actually a 240v/50A circuit but the car only pulls 40A. I had it installed in my garage in Carlsbad for about $400. I've never needed a faster charging speed than the ~30 miles/hour it gives me because 99.9% of the time, I'm charging overnight and only down about 40 miles from my starting charge level.

Don't overthink it. Unless you are routinely going to be driving 200+ miles per day and still using the car again in the evening to go more than a few miles, you won't need the faster, more expensive charging setup.