Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for electricians in Gatineau

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Just ordered a Model 3 and looking to have an electrician install a tesla wall connector in Gatineau. Looking for names and feedback. Found first 3 electricians below from the website roulezelectric.com and the 4th one from Tesla.com. Any additional names or feedback on those? Thanks a lot!

-Charmau Électrique Inc. (Gilles Poulin)
-Eric Kingsbury Electrique (Guillaume)
-Messier Électrique (Pascal Leblanc)
-Bruno Tremblay Maitre Électricien

It’s required by the manufacturer to help prevent overheating and fires. Aluminum wires are prone to that under the kind of current loads, whereas copper is less prone.
This is not the case. Aluminium cable's issue is with the connector. The Tesla HPWC has lugs that are rated for copper wire only.
Aluminium cable is 65% as conductive by diameter compared to copper. As such, it needs to be sized bigger. It will handle the same amperage if sized correctly, and is significantly lower in price. The CEC publishes ampacity ratings to show the correct sizing.

In the 1970's aluminium wire was incorrectly used in residential wiring for circuit sizes. The alloy was wrong, and the wiring devices had copper only lugs. Those were the issues. No North American wire manufacturer is making circuit sized aluminium cable, as it is still seen as kryptonite. 8 gauge and larger is regularly used in residential high rise buildings, and commercial and industrial applications. You will have aluminium service entrance cable coming from the utility to your panel.

I have worked for several wire and cable manufacturers, and I can attest that it's not a heat issue

This is not the case. Aluminium cable's issue is with the connector. The Tesla HPWC has lugs that are rated for copper wire only.
Aluminium cable is 65% as conductive by diameter compared to copper. As such, it needs to be sized bigger. It will handle the same amperage if sized correctly, and is significantly lower in price. The CEC publishes ampacity ratings to show the correct sizing.

In the 1970's aluminium wire was incorrectly used in residential wiring for circuit sizes. The alloy was wrong, and the wiring devices had copper only lugs. Those were the issues. No North American wire manufacturer is making circuit sized aluminium cable, as it is still seen as kryptonite. 8 gauge and larger is regularly used in residential high rise buildings, and commercial and industrial applications. You will have aluminium service entrance cable coming from the utility to your panel.

I have worked for several wire and cable manufacturers, and I can attest that it's not a heat issue
Funny, I could’ve sworn that was the reason given. Ah well, either way, copper good aluminum bad.