Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for electricity plan in Ohio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

We are newly moving to Cincinnati area from Michigan. Utilities here are totally different in Cincinnati compared to MI where only one utility company provides few different plans for everyone. We had dedicated EV charging plan in Michigan with significantly discounted rates for off-peak EV charging.

Is there anything similar (like time-of-use or EV charging plans) in Ohio, specifically in Cincinnati area? Would love to here from some Ohio (especially Cincinnati) tesla owners.

Thanks.

Also a Duke energy customer: I am not aware of any EV charging plans, but would recommend looking at the Energy Choice Ohio comparison chart that can help you choose the best supplier. I have been using it for years to select 100% renewable source at a good price. Had to just switch the other day as my current provider (FirstEnergy) is filing for bankruptcy and the provider that takes over does not offer renewable sources power.
Energy Choice Ohio - Electric

Thank you guys. Appreciate the information. Planning to go with Cincinnati Bell Energy as they have a very good rate from 100% renewable (wind) source without any early termination fee or contract.

This whole shopping for the best rate in new to us. In Michigan, we only have one supplier and everyone gets the same rate!

Interesting: Cinci Bell Energy used to be offered only to current Cinci Bell customers (internet, phone, TV). Since Floptics is not available where I live, I am not such and have not considered them, although their rates were always competitive. I just called their support and the rep also told me that the energy rate is offered only to current customers. However, this seems to contradict their sign up page, I tried to go through the sign up process and it went through - I got an email with a sigh up confirmation code. Now I have sighed up for two separate providers and have to call and cancel one of them :)

Cinci Bell is 5.35 cents variable with no cancellation penalties; Liberty Power is 5.55 cents fixed for 24 months, but lists $10/month cancellation fee. So, I called Liberty to cancel but the rep pointed out to a bold paragraph in the contract that I had missed, stating that any incurred cancellation fees will be waived if customer calls them to request so. Now I'm thinking I would rather have the security of a 24 month fixed rate at a good price and stay with Liberty. Uhm, choices :)

Yes. I just spoke with cincinnati Bell and found out how variable rates work (this is all new to me). The 5.35 cents is only for first month and then second month is 7 cents/kWH. I am going to skip cincinnati energy and go with someone else who has good fixed rates in 5.50s.