Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for MD tire shop to mount aftermarket wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X is being delivered in 18 days, but my Tesla service center refuses to install my T-Sportline wheels. Can anyone recommend a decent tire shop that I can go to to get this done? I hesitate to use Merchants, Sears, and the like, although Tesla states that I should not be worried and that any reputable shop can do this.

Recommendations/advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Allante

Rockville told me that as a rule they will not install aftermarket components. Upon delivery a year ago I drove from Rockville to a AAA near my office where they mounted my Tesla OEM tires (and pressure monitor parts) onto aftermarket wheels. I don't know of any problem that may have caused. Going in for first year service next week. I guess they will tell me if I messed up anything. Logic dictates that to have special mounting for Tesla just because it is a Tesla would go against the forward thinking mantra Tesla has always shown.

I have used Paul's Used Tires in Gaithersburg in the past. You take your tires to them and they do the mounting/balancing. You have to go elsewhere for alignment if you need it. They are closed on Saturdays, but open on sundays. They charge me $15 a tire to mount and balance.

8041 Snouffer School Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 20879

Rockville told me that as a rule they will not install aftermarket components. Upon delivery a year ago I drove from Rockville to a AAA near my office where they mounted my Tesla OEM tires (and pressure monitor parts) onto aftermarket wheels. I don't know of any problem that may have caused. Going in for first year service next week. I guess they will tell me if I messed up anything. Logic dictates that to have special mounting for Tesla just because it is a Tesla would go against the forward thinking mantra Tesla has always shown.

@DermMD: Roughly how much did you pay AAA for that service? Do they service non-AAA members? I got a quote from a store in Columbia, MD, for $360. They claim to be an independent Tesla service center.

I have used Paul's Used Tires in Gaithersburg in the past. You take your tires to them and they do the mounting/balancing. You have to go elsewhere for alignment if you need it. They are closed on Saturdays, but open on sundays. They charge me $15 a tire to mount and balance.

8041 Snouffer School Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 20879

Thank you, Azhagan, and others for chiming in.

@DermMD: Roughly how much did you pay AAA for that service? Do they service non-AAA members? I got a quote from a store in Columbia, MD, for $360. They claim to be an independent Tesla service center.
Sorry just saw this. Paid about $45 per wheel is my recollection. I was not a AAA member then. Interesting back story to this is that I had given up my AAA membership of many years as I was getting ready for Tesla delivery. I had tended to use AAA just for towing and it seemed to me like I was going to get all my towing from Tesla, if needed. Minor fender bender 6 months later, made me realize (and I should have known all along) Tesla would not be involved. I have since rejoined AAA.

UPDATE

Took my car in for first service. They needed to replace 5 lug nuts on one wheel which were completely stripped and I needed an alignment. I suspect this was the one wheel I had resurfaced after scrapping from a curb. That particular job was done by yet another merchant. They must have used an impact wrench, Tesla says. Tesla recommends manual tightening of lug nuts.

So it would appear that AAA installed my wheels properly. So there you have it. Worth telling any mechanic who works of your wheels about need for manual tightening. Actually I think this is in the manual but I'm yet to read the whole thing.

By the way my loaner was an S85 with 21" rims. Oh how noisy !!!

UPDATE

Took my car in for first service. They needed to replace 5 lug nuts on one wheel which were completely stripped and I needed an alignment. I suspect this was the one wheel I had resurfaced after scrapping from a curb. That particular job was done by yet another merchant. They must have used an impact wrench, Tesla says. Tesla recommends manual tightening of lug nuts.

So it would appear that AAA installed my wheels properly. So there you have it. Worth telling any mechanic who works of your wheels about need for manual tightening. Actually I think this is in the manual but I'm yet to read the whole thing.

By the way my loaner was an S85 with 21" rims. Oh how noisy !!!

Thanks DermMD. FYI, I am taking my X to Executive Tire in Rockville. They use Hunter Road Force equipment and claim to have experience working on Teslas. $45/tire for mounting and balancing.