Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for Model 3 roof sun shades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only advice, based on experience, is that the simple black mesh versions basically don’t help at all. I’ll be interested in the answer as I supplemented those with sun reflectors (cut to size whilst on hols) and didn’t see any material difference then either.

My M3 is parked in the sun all day so looking for roof sun shades. Anyone had any success?

I have the official Tesla ones. They don’t make any difference to cabin heat if that’s what you are expecting.

No fault of the sunshades though. After investigation with an iR camera, it was obvious that the roof glass (on our Model 3) does a very good job at protecting the interior from direct heat. The camera showed negligible difference in seat temperatures of seats in ‘full sun’, those shaded, and those in complete shadow from roof crossmember. There is a thread with pics somewhere on this probably 2020.

Where the significant heat is coming from is side windows and iirc the windscreen. Where seats were in sun via side windows, they were significantly hotter.

The roof glass does a very good job of keeping heat out. All sunshade does is slightly reduce a bit of internal glare although tbh was never an issue apart from car display screen and slightly reduces a little radiant heat if head is close to the glass roof - it really soaks up the heat.

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar
Thanks, good to know. I was looking at these, hoping somebody may have tried them.

Well, I've bought them ready for a long trip south. I bought them partly because of the second, silvered layer, that might reflect some heat. And partly because of the sensible price.

All I can say for now is that they fit and the quality seems fine. As some reviewers say, the clips don't fix to the screen securely, so can fall off as you are fitting it. I find it easiest to fit one or two to one side, put up the screen, and then fit the rest of the clips. Once up, they stay put. I'll try to remember to post my experience in a hot climate when back in a month or so.

There is a thread with pics somewhere on this probably 2020.

Here you go

I use the official Tesla mesh shade over the front roof glass. It does help reduce radiant heat from the glass onto the top of my (balding) head and it is noticeably better when we're in Southern France in the summer. What we also find makes a big difference and reduces how hard the car has to work when parked using cabin overheat protection is a screen shade. We bought one from a local supermarket, a bubblewrap type material with a silver outer and a couple of suction cups in the upper corners. It works very well as much of the cabin heat seems to come via the windscreen.

I have the official Tesla ones. They don’t make any difference to cabin heat if that’s what you are expecting.

No fault of the sunshades though. After investigation with an iR camera, it was obvious that the roof glass (on our Model 3) does a very good job at protecting the interior from direct heat. The camera showed negligible difference in seat temperatures of seats in ‘full sun’, those shaded, and those in complete shadow from roof crossmember. There is a thread with pics somewhere on this probably 2020.

Where the significant heat is coming from is side windows and iirc the windscreen. Where seats were in sun via side windows, they were significantly hotter.

The roof glass does a very good job of keeping heat out. All sunshade does is slightly reduce a bit of internal glare although tbh was never an issue apart from car display screen and slightly reduces a little radiant heat if head is close to the glass roof - it really soaks up the heat.

The windscreen shade I sometimes use is one of these:
Covers the Model 3 screen very accurately and effectively. It is light as a feather and, though there's a knack to it, it folds into a very small bag that I leave in the frunk. Seems to have gone up in price ... like everything ...

EDIT: Looks like there are no UK reviews ... I'd better go back and add one!

The windscreen shade I sometimes use is one of these:
Covers the Model 3 screen very accurately and effectively. It is light as a feather and, though there's a knack to it, it folds into a very small bag that I leave in the frunk. Seems to have gone up in price ... like everything ...

EDIT: Looks like there are no UK reviews ... I'd better go back and add one!
maybe because it is double the price of this?

Well, I've bought them ready for a long trip south. I bought them partly because of the second, silvered layer, that might reflect some heat. And partly because of the sensible price.

All I can say for now is that they fit and the quality seems fine. As some reviewers say, the clips don't fix to the screen securely, so can fall off as you are fitting it. I find it easiest to fit one or two to one side, put up the screen, and then fit the rest of the clips. Once up, they stay put. I'll try to remember to post my experience in a hot climate when back in a month or so.
Well, I finally remembered. We left the shades on throughout a two week trip through Spain and Portugal. I didn't try to do any tests by removing them to check for any differences, However, my impression is that having them fitted delayed the rate at which the cabin heated up after we parked. Certainly reduced the heat incident on our heads when travelling. I'd buy them again.