Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for phone holder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone got a recommendation for a phone holder? (For Roadster 2.5 w/ Alpine)

These days I find myself using my iPhone for maps/directions as the Alpine SW is pretty out of date; I'm looking for a phone holder that looks good but doesn't take up space from the passenger foot well.

I got a magnetic phone holder with an adhesive mount (this one: https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Magnetic-Dashboard-Premium-Samsung/dp/B01IPJT6OI/ but I suspect any will work), and stuck it to the driver's side of the VDS housing, put the metal plate in the phone at the bottom (when the phone is vertical) so that I can place my phone horizontally across the VDS screen with the left side extending across the magnetic mount which is to the left of the VDS.

Yes, I cannot see the VDS when the phone is there, but for commuting that is not a concern. The phone with WAZE there horizontally is viewable from a driving position, is easy to mount and dismount, and does not obstruct anything on the driver's side (it only sticks out maybe an inch from the left side of the VDS). If I remember later this evening, I will post a photo or two.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NigelM
Mine clips onto the cup holder. It’s magnetic baesus or something like that, it also wirelessly charges the phone. My plan b was/is to modify the iPod holder to have a phone holder there. Plan c was to build one into a cup shaped object and again use the cup holder as that’s a good place for me. If I had a double din I’d be replacing the stereo for any number of units available.

Scosche MagicMount has worked great for me for many years. If you go with this brand, make sure it's the "for GPS and smartphones" version as it has a short articulating neck and doesn't bounce like the longer necked version.

Cell Phone Dash Mount | MagicMount™ Dash/Window for GPS and smartphones

maghdgps_product_1000_2.jpg

• Helpful
804B4137-7819-47FD-BB87-7F211027D7FE.jpeg
4BB0C209-3767-402F-89F0-9C20AB1F4B27.jpeg
Here’s how I did it. The metal plate is held on with Velcro tape pads. The magnetic thing is one other the things that sticks in a dash vent that I took a Dremel tool and smoothed the prongs off of, then epoxied to the metal plate which had the velco pad on the other side. The iPod connector works well and I’ve also run a cable through the tunnel to the cigarette lighter plug, in case I need to power the phone since the iPod connector doesn’t do that. The battery in my iPhone is pretty new, so I don’t need to plug it in at all in the 90 minutes or so a day I spend in the car, even with waze running for about half that time watching traffic.

• Helpful
Reactions: NigelM and dhrivnak
I prefer to have the phone up where I can see it easily without taking my eyes too far off the road. Found an adjustable suction glass-mount holder that works very well in the left corner of the windshield. It has spring-loaded clips that hold the phone very securely. They snap into place when the phone is placed against the center peg, and unlock by pressing on the sides. The cork is optional, used to reduce vibration, and it helps keep the suction cup firmly attached to the windshield.

Phone Mount2.jpg

Phone Mount3.jpg

• Helpful
3CD2A552-52EC-4A7E-AAA6-B5F668A3F969.jpeg
Just finished installing my OVMS and running the power wires to my dashcam as they take the same route. In my box of tools my wife’s MB proclip holder was sitting there so I put it on the dash, by no means is this a perfect fit and I’m sure someone will mention it’s in front of the airbag, but damn if it wasn’t the perfect place for my phone, it even was in a good position for Dave recognition. Something like a clip here would be magic.

Reactions: markwj