Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for pre-installing conduit ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're doing solar on the roof of our residential studio. We've had a reservation for Solar Glass since about 3 minutes after reservations opened up but there is still confusion about who will do installs in MN and when so we may end up doing traditional shingles and panels.

We can't put off insulation and sheetrock any longer though. I'd like to get some conduits in beforehand and looking for recommendations where they most likely need to be. The structure is a gable interior w/ a hot roof (closed cell sprayed directly against the bottom of the roof sheathing).

Solar panels or active glass will all be on one roof face that faces south so we'll not have multiple sections.

The south roof face is 43' wide by 17'.

- Would both systems require a single conduit through the roof with all of the wiring then run under the panels?

- Best to have this access conduit near the peak? Soffit? Centered or gable end?

- Size? Many look like 1" or 1.5" which seems small but perhaps is large enough? I'd likely oversize anyway.

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

I think in other threads people pointed out that there is a potential for Tesla or a third-party installer to reject the conduit since they may not be able to verify it is what you say it is and is code-compliant, but to try and answer your questions a bit.... We have a solar roof on both sides of a gable roof. For us, they ran all the cable through a single hole in each roof face. The hole is roughly in the middle horizontally, and probably about 2/3 of the way up. Each set of cabling is connected to a rapid shutdown device mounted to the rafters. After that, the cabling from one side is run up to the top of the interior roof and down the other side to connect with the cabling on the other side. The combined cabling eventually is run out the bottom of the roof, down the side of the house, and back in in the basement, where our inverter is located. Within the attic, they used a flexible metal conduit to house the cables.

1" EMT is plenty. Our house is new-construction, so we had the luxury of pre-running conduit from near the main panel to the attic. This was per Tesla's instruction (they sent me a "New Construction Guidance" brochure). Ours terminates in the attic about midway between the roof ridge and gutter edge along the gable-end. Tesla told me that as long as it's in the attic near that roof plane, they will connect it from there.

This is for solar panels, but I assume it would also apply to Solar Glass. I would try to speak with Tesla directly about it.