Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for suspension work on TM3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am looking to get some suspension work done (H&R lowering springs- thanks @Cyclone1) however with the removal of the frunk and for added peace of mind, I would think it beneficial to get the work done by someone who has worked on a Model 3 before. I've come across some threads whereby the installation wasn't done correctly (resulted in one of the sensors not being secure enough) and the car throwing all sorts of errors.

With the number of tutorials/youtube videos available, the thought crossed my mind in a DIY but I would rather someone who knew what they were doing do it instead. Has anyone had suspension work carried out on a TM3?

I'm based in Surrey, Worcester Park/ Surbiton region, and happy to travel (within reason) and have my jack pads ready :cool:

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi All,

I am looking to get some suspension work done (H&R lowering springs- thanks @Cyclone1) however with the removal of the frunk and for added peace of mind, I would think it beneficial to get the work done by someone who has worked on a Model 3 before. I've come across some threads whereby the installation wasn't done correctly (resulted in one of the sensors not being secure enough) and the car throwing all sorts of errors.

With the number of tutorials/youtube videos available, the thought crossed my mind in a DIY but I would rather someone who knew what they were doing do it instead. Has anyone had suspension work carried out on a TM3?

I'm based in Surrey, Worcester Park/ Surbiton region, and happy to travel (within reason) and have my jack pads ready :cool:

Good idea to have someone familiar with the car. I had an MPP lift kit installed by a classic/exotic car garage with impeccable work standards in Herts. But it did take longer than MPP stated. Par for the course. PM me if you want a referral.

Hi All,

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but hopefully this is mostly for looks? If you are after 'improvements' just springs isn't really enough as the shocks are the problem as stock?

That said, @U_S_D that I bought my kit from had his fitted at Litchfield Motors. No idea if that's near you, but its closer than the other recommendation I could make you in Edinburgh!

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but hopefully this is mostly for looks? If you are after 'improvements' just springs isn't really enough as the shocks are the problem as stock?

That said, @U_S_D that I bought my kit from had his fitted at Litchfield Motors. No idea if that's near you, but its closer than the other recommendation I could make you in Edinburgh!
Yes, I know, purely cosmetic. I've been wanting to get rid of the ghastly tyre gap since changing the alloys. I'm overall satisfied with the suspension setup, not too soft and not too hard. It could be better but spending that sort of money is out of the question for me.

Both Litchfield and Edinburgh are miles away :(

Good idea to have someone familiar with the car. I had an MPP lift kit installed by a classic/exotic car garage with impeccable work standards in Herts. But it did take longer than MPP stated. Par for the course. PM me if you want a referral.
Herts is further than I had hoped, but if I don't have much luck locally then I will request their details :)

Yes, I know, purely cosmetic. I've been wanting to get rid of the ghastly tyre gap since changing the alloys. I'm overall satisfied with the suspension setup, not too soft and not too hard. It could be better but spending that sort of money is out of the question for me.

Both Litchfield and Edinburgh are miles away :(

Herts is further than I had hoped, but if I don't have much luck locally then I will request their details :)

Very northern Herts, just off M1 J10

The springs make a decent improvement and not just looks. My car is back in it’s standard set up and does not handle as well. It rolls more, is less direct in and out of corners (fast and slow) and in general, is less reassuring to drive than before. I think until you’ve driven both set ups at length, then it’s hard to appreciate the difference. I’m not saying the standard set up isn’t fine, just that in my view the lower springs offer a noticeable improvement.

The springs make a decent improvement and not just looks. My car is back in it’s standard set up and does not handle as well. It rolls more, is less direct in and out of corners (fast and slow) and in general, is less reassuring to drive than before. I think until you’ve driven both set ups at length, then it’s hard to appreciate the difference. I’m not saying the standard set up isn’t fine, just that in my view the lower springs offer a noticeable improvement.
Glad you get that same confidence increase with just the springs. I ended up with a full coilover, sway bar and camber/toe arm replacement, which is brilliant. Its a 'comfort coil over' kit, so a little stiffer than stock, but soooo much more assured. But there has been mixed reports of doing just springs, so glad its worked out!

Reactions: Cyclone1
For anyone who happens to come across this, I managed to get the H&R springs put on yesterday from a local garage. They weren't the cheapest quote I received, but having someone local to me was important in case any issues arise - not to mention they work on supercars!

As Cyclone mentioned it was a very simple process to do, but most garages were turning it into a big deal (due to unfamiliarity with working on Teslas) however these guys knew what they were doing. They surprised me by knowing about the thinned 13mm needed for the front. They did their research or had worked on one before.

Overall impression so far: it removed that ghastly tire gap and feels different (for the better), not too hard, and a lot more assured in the cornering. IMO it's not slammed whereby I feel every bump, ditch, crack in the road however, I noticed speed bumps could be an issue if not careful. I'm glad I opted for H&R's as some of the others looked a lot lower!

Here's a little video they posted, along with a before and after image of the spacers and springs installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20210308_085045.jpg
    IMG_20210308_085045.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20210308_173952.jpg
    IMG_20210308_173952.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20210308_174024.jpg
    IMG_20210308_174024.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 103
Looks a fair bit lower than mine ended up, but all the better for it. Congrats :)

Sounds like you found a good garage. The first people I found were talking about HV precautions and disconencting the battery and stuff - I noped right out of there!

Looks a fair bit lower than mine ended up, but all the better for it. Congrats :)

Sounds like you found a good garage. The first people I found were talking about HV precautions and disconencting the battery and stuff - I noped right out of there!
Yes lower than what I was expecting too tbh, but it doesn't rub or anything which was my main concern when I saw it. Slowing down for humps isn't a big deal, but the square speed bumps could be my new nemesis.