Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations on how to fix this tiny rock chip on the paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I bought a M3 about a week ago and I just noticed this very tiny chip in the paint of the front bumper, any recommendations on how to fix it properly? I’ve looked at many touch up paints. For example Tesla’s own touch up paint isn’t really that accurate from what i’ve seen the white pearl is slightly off, but would that be noticeable for such a small chip?

here’s a video clip as well

Attachments

• 450D54C6-DC50-4000-906E-B995568AC5E2.jpeg
    450D54C6-DC50-4000-906E-B995568AC5E2.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 93A2C354-CF43-4E3F-BC19-F0C54495C2C0.jpeg
    93A2C354-CF43-4E3F-BC19-F0C54495C2C0.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 275
You are in the arena of Price vs Quality.....

Thanks for the video it makes thing better for my suggestions.

1. Tesla Touch up.....or Dr Color Chip...

Dr. Color chip does a good job but here is what their website says....see pic below

1673357955005.png

2. Wet sand and try and match it with either Tesla or Dr. Color Chip....this will be a good option however, it will be very evident based on your video as it appears that the area is "mottled" for lack of a better term.

3. Take it to a body shop. This will cost a bunch of money but it "may" make it look better.

4. OBVIOUSLY not the option is to have the panel replaced. But then you run into the issue if it even matches the rest of the car.

Here is a great example on how chips are taken care of on a Ferrari.

Go to around 6:12 min for the chip repair.

Personally I would carefully remove the High Points where the chip happened. Exacto blade to get as close to the high points. Then use a touch up paint on it...add it SPARINGLY so that the paint just barely fills in the spot. Wait a bit and see if it is enough....then if it isn't quite there add a TINY bit more.

EDIT: to answer your question if it will be noticeable....YES to you because you know where it happened. To 99% of folks it would not be noticeable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey guys, I bought a M3 about a week ago and I just noticed this very tiny chip in the paint of the front bumper, any recommendations on how to fix it properly?

Don't bother.
Go for a few drives, and soon you will have a few more paint chips near it.

Front bumpers are magnets for paint chips, and Tesla paint is notoriously thin and fragile. If you are going to chase and touch-up all of them, you might as well sell the car now.

1st paint chip, just like the 1st ding, are the right of passage for the new car owner.
They personalize your car.
Embrace them - it will make for a much more enjoyable car ownership experience!

HTH,
a

Upvote 0
Don't bother.
Go for a few drives, and soon you will have a few more paint chips near it.
This is solid advice. I get the most paint chips on the lower panels below the front doors where road debris is kicked up onto the car. Many chips that have taken the black paint off to reveal the white base color. I just leave them because it will happen again. Doesn't bother me. It is my daily driver not a show pony.

Reactions: Stevewaclo
Upvote 0
1) Look into one of the mobile ding repair people. They come to your home/work, fix dings and do an excellent job.
2) Look into getting paint protection film.

1). It's not a ding. It's a paint chip.
2). Layering PPF film on top of the chip will do nothing.

Fully protecting all scratch-susceptible areas with PPF will run $3.5-5.0K.
Definitely way to go if you want to change the exterior color or appearance (flat paint, etc.) of the car.
But otherwise, a few orders of magnitude more expen$$$$ive then touch up paint.

:cool:

Upvote 0
2). Layering PPF film on top of the chip will do nothing.

Fully protecting all scratch-susceptible areas with PPF will run $3.5-5.0K.
Definitely way to go if you want to change the exterior color or appearance (flat paint, etc.) of the car.
But otherwise, a few orders of magnitude more expen$$$$ive then touch up paint.

:cool:
I was not proposing to put PPF over the chip. I was suggesting to do that AFTER the chip was repaired to protect from future dings. I'm realize the cost. I had it done. In the long run it is worth it.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Upvote 0