Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations, please: kayaks, trailers, hitches, advice for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pollux

Supporting Member
Dear TMC,

My boss, The Wife, wants two kayaks. She plans to awaken, check the weather, then impulsively zoom off in her Model 3 to go kayaking. Along with our 15-year old... a car full of sass & moxie.

Please tell me your thoughts on:

(1) Trailer -- what trailer would you recommend? I'm assuming a trailer would be a better choice than a roof rack, because a kayak would be hard for my wife to heave up on to the roof, even with help from sass-child. I'll be asleep. Or hiding. Or drunk. Or some combination.

(2) Hitch -- Torklift Eco hitch? Something else?

(3) Can Model 3 handle this job?

(4) Kayaks -- my ignorance is boundless and certainly includes kayaks (animal, vegetable or mineral?). Please, if anyone has recommendations for kayaks, speak up.

Thanks in advance!

Alan

P.S. Don't know if it matters, but I think she's also thinking "camper mode" with a mattress in the back.

P.P.S. If I could convince her to wait, I'd try to solve this problem with a Cybertruck. But no waiting allowed.

P.P.S. Moxie & Sass with their loyal partner in crime, who often shows up in kayaks or carried in a special backpack when he finally exhausts himself.
IMG_0972.jpeg

I take it your wife is comfortable driving with a trailer ? My wife lost a year of her life from the experience, and I doubt she drove faster than 25 mph. I'm not much better -- I can fairly comfortably drive forward with a trailer but my attempts to reverse have been sad.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
I used to haul two kayaks on the roof of my Mazda 6, and this picture from a google search confirms that it's also possible on the 3. The roof rack is supposed to be good for 150lb and two standard kayaks with mounting hardware would be well within that limit. I'm not sure I would risk it personally because of the horror stories I've heard about glass cracking with the roof rack, but in theory it should work. I would be super leery about using a trailer to tow kayaks; it can be dangerous to tow something long and lightweight like that, especially on the highway. Would also be pretty tough to turn corners.

Reactions: Pollux
I used to haul two kayaks on the roof of my Mazda 6, and this picture from a google search confirms that it's also possible on the 3. The roof rack is supposed to be good for 150lb and two standard kayaks with mounting hardware would be well within that limit. I'm not sure I would risk it personally because of the horror stories I've heard about glass cracking with the roof rack, but in theory it should work. I would be super leery about using a trailer to tow kayaks; it can be dangerous to tow something long and lightweight like that, especially on the highway. Would also be pretty tough to turn corners.
Hmm - Towed it from DC down to South Carolina on I95 multiple times. No issues. Tongue length means the front of the kayaks avoid the turbulence from the vehicle. Super stable, super efficient.

• Informative
Hmm - Towed it from DC down to South Carolina on I95 multiple times. No issues. Tongue length means the front of the kayaks avoid the turbulence from the vehicle. Super stable, super efficient.
I stand corrected; that looks like a pretty well designed trailer. Would certainly be easier to load/unload than a roof rack. You'd still have the challenges of taking corners, backing up, and finding places to park with all that length, but certainly not impossible.

I could be wrong, but I'd venture to guess that despite the added weight, the trailer would probably give you lower energy consumption on the road than having everything up on a roof rack.

• Informative
I have a Torklift hitch on my M3P+ and used it for the first time last weekend to take my 3 boys mountain biking. Borrowed a hitch mount bike rack from a friend and was a nervous wreck driving to and from the trails. Everything ended up fine, but on Sunday when my kids wanted to do it again I put all the bikes in the minivan and had a more enjoyable afternoon.

Maybe Moxie and Sass would have more enjoyable spontaneous adventures in an old wrangler or pickup.

What type of kayaking is the boss planning to do? If you're looking for sea kayaks, perhaps go for a lightweight wooden plywood one. Your typical plastic kayaks can easily weigh 50+lbs, but a wooden plywood kayak, wrapped in fiberglass can weigh under 30lbs., for a woman or teen.

Seems like a great plan! I installed an Ecohitch on my 3, and use it for both a bike rack and to tow a light trailer. While Tesla doesn't 'approve' of towing behind the 3 in the US, they do in Europe and my experience is that it makes a terrific tow vehicle for small, light loads. If you can, find a trailer built for kayaks/small boats. You want it sprung for a very low weight capacity. Since two kayaks only weigh 100lbs or so, you want to avoid a 1000 lb capacity utility trailer, as it will be a harsh ride for the boats and it will bounce around a lot. The trailer from Malone, or a similar one from Thule or Yakima, will tow really well. They aren't cheap, however. Driving forward is pretty easy. Some people take to backing up quickly, others just never seem to get it. Using the Supercharger with a trailer may be inconvenient, I have not had to do that yet. But two kayaks on a trailer will be really light, it should be pretty easy to unhitch the trailer, park it by hand, charge the car, and re-connect the trailer.

Personally, I've always preferred car-topping to trailering for small boats. Better ride for the boat, less stuff to go wrong on the road. Trailer tires and axles can fail, trailer lights are notoriously fickle. However, I'm not a fan of the Tesla roof rack design. Seems like several folks have cracked the roof glass as the factory clips have shifted or were installed improperly. It is a slick design, but it appears to be very unforgiving of misalignment or overtightening. If you do end up with a roof rack, the Thule Hullavator makes loading and unloading roof racks pretty darn easy. The attachments themselves are very pricey, you pay for convenience and robust engineering. If the Tesla had a standard roof, I'd recommend car topping over trailering.

The kayaks themselves are a whole 'nother question. We have some beater plastic Old Town boats that are fine for messing around. I've paddled some friends lightweight composite boats and they are awesome. Lots of choices on the price/performance/durability spectrum. Whatever they do, don't forget to buy good, comfortable life jackets and wear them!

Kayaks come in a variety of sizes, lengths, and weights. While pricey, you can get very nice 13' to 15' kayaks that weigh between 35 and 45 pounds. These are good for everything from quiet lakes and rivers all the way to bays and ocean coastlines. But be prepared to spend $2k to $4k each for this type of boat. My wife loves her Eddyline Sitka ST. It was just a bit too tight for my comfort, so I got the next size up.

My wife and I hoist her 43 lb kayak and my 49 lb kayak onto the roof of my car several times a week and it is not too difficult, although the 49 lb model is about our limit. Assuming your family can handle hoisting things of this weight, a roof rack is much easier than a trailer for driving. Also note that Malone makes some interesting accessories for kayak loading.

You might want to check out paddling.com for some reviews, tips and videos.

As others have said, my greatest worry is the Tesla roof rack and the risk of cracking the roof glass. If you can get the service center to install it and check it regularly, it will probably be ok, but I would not do it otherwise.

I chose to put a rack on our second car to avoid the Tesla roof rack issue. For fun, here is a photo of my setup.

Good luck,
Ira

Attachments

• kayak1.jpg
    kayak1.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 539
I haul a 17.5', 42# kayak and a 15', 70# Adirondack Guideboat on a Trailex SUT-250-M2 (Multiple Light Duty Carrier(SUT-250-M2)). The trailer is lightweight, and a couple pairs of foam kayak pads and straps will hold down the kayaks (no pads needed for the Guideboat). I did not install the tall vertical guides shown in the pic. It trailers very nicely at highway speeds.

I have yet to put a hitch on my Tesla, but am looking at the Stealth hitch because they have a local installer I've used for my other cars.

Wow! Just checked back and found all these interesting posts. @SageBrush, @MacGreiner, @timp123, @Urbancowboy, @KenC, @GreenMtnM3, @IraB, @jrweiss98020 -- thank you!

I just told The Wife that I had gotten some interesting and useful responses... I'm going to point her to this thread so she can see for herself. Clearly, there is more thinking we should do about trailers versus roof racks... and pros/cons for both. I very much appreciate the brand/model recommendations we are getting along with general advice and warnings.

Please keep those cards and letters coming!

Thanks,
Alan

As I'm fond of items made of wood, I would look for a marine plywood kayak, on Craigslist, or have two made. A 14' model like the Pygmy Selkie is ideal for women, and weighs a featherweight 29lbs. Easy to throw on top of a car. Pygmy sells DIY kits, but I'd look for one that's already been made. There's even a list of boatbuilders who'll put one together for you. And, there are other brands of marine plywood kayaks, not just Pygmy, but that's the first one that came to mind.

Selkie Kayak Kit: Designed for Smaller Paddlers
ff_130926_6722-Edit copy.jpg

with the cost of the rack for the car, plus supports for the boats to go on the rack or the trailer option, these folding boats might be a good option that will end up costing less and be easier to store when not in use. Seem to take just a few minutes to unfold and assemble and there are several versions including a more open top design for casual use.

Here's their smallest one, with a set up and review videos at the bottom of the page:

The Inlet

Folding Kayaks That Go Anywhere | Oru Kayak

The Most Packable Kayak: Meet the Oru Inlet | GearJunkie

Haven't used them myself but there seem to be a fair number of reviews out there which should address questions like assembly time, durability, useability etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Pollux and KenC
Nairb,

Excellent suggestion. At the risk of too much information, I will now present a short-ish review of the Oru Bay ST kayak as there are definitely pluses and minuses.

My wife and I started out each with our own Oru Bay ST kayak last summer and this was our first real experience with kayaking. These boats are light at less than 30 pounds and they do fold up. Transporting 2 of them in a model 3 is possible in several different configurations. I was never able to fit both boats in the trunk unless I had the rear seat folded down, in which case one boat had to be pushed fairly far back on the folded seats to make room for the other boat. Eventually I just put one boat in the trunk and the other in the back seat (through the back door) without folding down the seats. I did put a towel under the boat in the back seat to keep the seat dry after using the boat.

In any case, transporting the boats was pretty easy and did not require any extra hardware. This is a definite plus. Also, these boats are lighter than any comparably sized boats, so they are easier to carry to and from the water.

Generally, these boats also feel fairly robust, so I don't have worries about them breaking through normal use. Also, if you are at all mechanically inclined, setting up and collapsing these boats is pretty easy. I got to the point where I could go from fully packed to on the water in about 10-12 minutes. Breakdown is even faster. Overall, set up times are equivalent to or just slightly longer than the time it takes to place and secure a "hard shell" kayak in a rack either on a trailer or roof.

Overall, we liked these boats, but ultimately we decided to take the plunge, buy a car top rack and get "hard shell" boats for reasons I will explain.

There are definite limits / downsides to the Oru boats.

First, the Bay ST is a 12' boat. It is fine for calm lakes and rivers, but by touring kayak standards, this is a bit short. The main disadvantage of this size is that the Bay ST is substantially slower than, for example, a good quality 14' hard shell touring boat. If you are just going out for a 45 minute gentle paddle / float, this won't matter much. But if you want to cover any substantial distance or paddle with a group, you would likely get frustrated. I was amazed about how much faster my 14'6" boat goes for the same level of effort.

Another consideration for more serious paddling is boat control. Most "serious" kayaks have multiple points of contact with the paddler, including foot pegs, thigh and hip braces. Having contact with these various points of the boat allows the paddler to lean the boat precisely which helps in maneuvering and also helps in avoiding capsizing (which is all too easy in a kayak). The Oru Bay ST has foot pegs, but they are not as secure, comfortable or well connected to the boat as are the pegs in hard shell boats. The Bay ST does not have thigh or hip braces.

Oru does offer a 16' folding boat (Coast XT) that (amazingly) folds up to about the same size as the Bay ST. While I have not paddled this boat, several reviews claim that it is about as fast as a comparable hard shell boat. Also, it includes thigh braces. Thus, this overcomes some of the downsides of the smaller Oru boats. On the other hand, for the price of the Coast, there are a number of really nice hard shell boats available.

There are a few other concerns as well. Because of they way the Oru boats are built, if they capsize and fill with water, they can actually sink. Even if they don't sink, they can take on enough water that they will no longer float when the paddler re-enters. To overcome this problem (which can be a serious safety issue if the paddler is too far from the shore to swim to safety) You need to purchase and use "float bags." These are basically heavy-duty balloons that you place inside the boat to enhance flotation in case of capsizing. Float bags are not overly expensive, but you do have to blow them up every time you use them, thus adding to the time and steps when assembling and breaking down the boats.

Finally, the seat in the Oru boats (and I think this applies across all models) is not very comfortable. Our experience is that your butt has had enough after about an hour. You can and should get extra pads to alleviate this, but even with the extra padding, we have found the seats in hard shell boats far more comfortable for much longer periods of time.

In summary, I would say if you are interested in casual paddling for 45 to 60 minutes at a time, the Oru boats are an easy choice that eliminate the need for any extra transportation equipment. If you think you will want to get more serious about paddling, you may find that you outgrow the Oru boats fairly quickly.

Another folding boat that has good reviews, but with which I have no personal experience, is Pakboats - Pakboats.com -.

Another alternative is inflatable kayaks. I have researched these but have never used or owned one. A seemingly well respected brand is Advanced Elements - Inflatable Kayaks | Inflatable SUPs | Kayak Accessories | Advanced Elements. Inflatable boats have their own sets of advantages and disadvantages, but they also don't require extra hardware for transportation.

Regardless of what type of boats you get, here are two more vital points.

1. Get a good quality personal flotation device (life jacket) for each paddler and always wear them. It is far too easy to drown and people routinely underestimate the risk.

2. Dress for the water temperature. It is not safe to paddle in water below 60* in the usual shorts and t-shirt. Below 60* and absolutely by 55* the risk of fast onset hypothermia and drowning is very high. Thus, if you plan to paddle in late fall, winter or early spring, look into wet suits or dry suits.

Good luck

Surprised nobody mentioned Hobie peddle powered Kayaks. 10" sport models are easy for one person to handle and are super enjoyable on the water. Comfy seats and easy going on relatively flat water.
This was me bringing 2 of them home inside my X. Hatch just closed and G/F had to ride in the back seat, behind the driver.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    491.4 KB · Views: 416
Kayaks depend a lot of what you are looking to do. I'm a big fan of the Eddyline brand. They are well-built, lightweight, and super fast on the water. The wife can haul it in and out of the water and lift it on the roof. As an example, the Eddyline Caribbean 12' is half the weight of the Hobie peddle powered Kayaks, likely twice as fast, and with much smoother tracking. However, if you want a fishing kayak, a wide peddle powered is hard to beat. Our two Eddyline Caribbean 14's have served us well.

If you are comfortable with a trailer and have space to park it, I'd get a cheap trailer (e.g. Harbor Freight) and bolt on a set of kayak racks. The roof rack is an option but the trailer is easier to load up and unload and doesn't require the set up time the roof rack does.

I can lift my 42# Pygmy Coho kayak to the top of my VW Passat wagon, and the Model 3 is MUCH lower than the VW. Still, I would hesitate to put roof racks on the Tesla, because the crossbars apparently take a bit of time to put on and off, with the risk of cracking the glass each time, and I don't want them up there permanently.

FWIW, I built my Coho 20 years ago, and it's still in great shape!

Reactions: Pollux and KenC