TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Recommended 14-30 Outlets

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by sooner, Jul 13, 2018.

1. sooner

sooner Member

Perhaps I am just really bad at searching for 14-30rs, but the Amazon and Google results are completely full of RV wires and outlets.

I am looking for an industrial grade 14-30r, preferably Amaonz Prime so I can get it quickly. I have only seen brand and type suggestions from Tesla for 50amp plugs, for the 30amp ones it is generic 'industrial grade outlet'.

Cheers in advance.

2. SSedan

SSedan Member

Any why do you think you need something other than a generic industial plug?
    Since I have been leaving the UMC plugged in I used a $8 one from Menards, fine for about a year now. I am going to the wall charger though for a few reasons, like more power for faster battery warming/charging in winter and charging option redundancy.

3. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

It's an outlet. Doesn't matter what you plug into it. An "RV outlet" will work identically to an "EV outlet".

4. DLM270

DLM270 #7773

Why not NEMA 14-50 ?

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Honestly, one of the most used sockets are those at campgrounds, but the 14-30 isn't really a highly used connector.
    I'd didn't see one even listed at Home Depot.

I'd recommend looking for one with a brand name, like the Leviton

6. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

I got one from home depot and one from Lowes. On one the wires go in from the side and on the other the wires go in from the back. I prefer the wires going into the side because most boxes are shallow. The one from Lowes is my choice.

7. sooner

sooner Member

Home is not my 'forever home', it is a starter. And as such, it only has 100 amp service . 50 amps to the car is too high, plus 30amps covers daily commute easily.

Most RV outlets are not the same, curved 30 amp or similar to 10-30 but different pins. For whatever reason, they are strewn heavily in results.

Tesla recommends it for the rating of unplug/plug ins they can handle. EG the 50amp recommended are 50-80 dollar plugs. No such thing it seems for the 14-30, at least that I have found.

I have ordered one off of Prime, but will look at Lowes next time I am in town.

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

NEMA 14-30 outlets are used almost exclusively for dryers. They’re plugged in and unplugged only every few years. I don’t think you’re going to find a 14-30 which is designed for frequent plugging and unplugging as you will for the 14-50. On the other hand, you shouldn’t be needing to plug and unplug the UMC frequently. Hang it on a wall hook and just unplug to take it with you when going on a trip out of town.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

#9 iluvmacs, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    That's only half true. There are "30A" and "50A" RV outlets. The "30A" is what you say -- 30A, 120V, relatively useless for EV charging -- and officially called TT-30. Electrically speaking, they match the wiring and ratings of a NEMA 5-30, a rather rare plug in the wild (not 10-30). The "50A" is the 14-50 outlet we all know and love, which can supply 120V and 240V. Modern RV parks have both. Older ones (and perhaps smaller ones) only have the TT-30. It is rather unfortunate that RV vernacular is to call them by just their current rating, as it gets everyone confused about the voltage, how useful they are, and how adapters work.

• Helpful x 2
  10. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

Try McMaster Carr, the increase in cost is for the increased amount of copper and long term reliability. Ya don't want to use a Wall mart quality device. McMaster-Carr