Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended 14-30 Outlets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I am just really bad at searching for 14-30rs, but the Amazon and Google results are completely full of RV wires and outlets.

I am looking for an industrial grade 14-30r, preferably Amaonz Prime so I can get it quickly. I have only seen brand and type suggestions from Tesla for 50amp plugs, for the 30amp ones it is generic 'industrial grade outlet'.

Cheers in advance.

Any why do you think you need something other than a generic industial plug?
Since I have been leaving the UMC plugged in I used a $8 one from Menards, fine for about a year now. I am going to the wall charger though for a few reasons, like more power for faster battery warming/charging in winter and charging option redundancy.

Why not NEMA 14-50 ?

Home is not my 'forever home', it is a starter. And as such, it only has 100 amp service . 50 amps to the car is too high, plus 30amps covers daily commute easily.

It's an outlet. Doesn't matter what you plug into it. An "RV outlet" will work identically to an "EV outlet".

Most RV outlets are not the same, curved 30 amp or similar to 10-30 but different pins. For whatever reason, they are strewn heavily in results.

Any why do you think you need something other than a generic industial plug?
Since I have been leaving the UMC plugged in I used a $8 one from Menards, fine for about a year now.

Tesla recommends it for the rating of unplug/plug ins they can handle. EG the 50amp recommended are 50-80 dollar plugs. No such thing it seems for the 14-30, at least that I have found.

I have ordered one off of Prime, but will look at Lowes next time I am in town.

NEMA 14-30 outlets are used almost exclusively for dryers. They’re plugged in and unplugged only every few years. I don’t think you’re going to find a 14-30 which is designed for frequent plugging and unplugging as you will for the 14-50. On the other hand, you shouldn’t be needing to plug and unplug the UMC frequently. Hang it on a wall hook and just unplug to take it with you when going on a trip out of town.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and SSedan
Most RV outlets are not the same, curved 30 amp or similar to 10-30 but different pins. For whatever reason, they are strewn heavily in results.
That's only half true. There are "30A" and "50A" RV outlets. The "30A" is what you say -- 30A, 120V, relatively useless for EV charging -- and officially called TT-30. Electrically speaking, they match the wiring and ratings of a NEMA 5-30, a rather rare plug in the wild (not 10-30). The "50A" is the 14-50 outlet we all know and love, which can supply 120V and 240V. Modern RV parks have both. Older ones (and perhaps smaller ones) only have the TT-30. It is rather unfortunate that RV vernacular is to call them by just their current rating, as it gets everyone confused about the voltage, how useful they are, and how adapters work.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and sooner