Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended 18" wheels/all season tires for Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 2020 Model 3 Performance. I want to change out the wheels/tires to 18" since most of my driving is done in and around DC and the potholes are a major problem. I considered the option for a Performance without the upgrade package to stay with 18" wheels, but with the factories shut down I needed to go with a car that was available. I also considered the LR AWD with the acceleration boost, but wanted the full Performance acceleration, the larger brakes, and the spoiler. I understand that all season tires are a compromise, but they make the most sense for my situation.

I have a few questions:

1. I know about the Tsportline 18" wheels that fit the performance, but the A/S tire options on Tsportline are not great (OEM Michelin MXM4 TO and Continental DWS 06). I chatted with an advisor on Tirerack.com about 18" wheels on their site that will fit the Performance, but I was not confident in the answer (all the wheels recommended had 30 offset, not 35). So, are there other wheel 18" wheel options that will fit the Performance?

2. For tires, some options I am considering are Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack, Vredestein Quatrac Pro, and Continental Purecontact LS. All three tires are highly rated by Tirerack and/or Consumer Reports. Any experience with these or other suggestions? I would like a quiet tire with good ride quality in addition to good traction, braking, etc.

3. If I end up buying the Tsportline wheels and tires from Tirerack, will I have any trouble finding a tire shop near DC that will mount, balance, and install the wheels/tires? I have bought tires from Tirerack before, but always had them installed on the wheels already on the car. For example, Costco tire centers carry the Bridgestone tires, but I'm not sure if they will mount the tires on wheels different from those on the car?? Any recommendations for tire shops near DC are welcome.

Thanks

I went from the OEM 20" wheels to 18" Titan7 T-S5 wheels and I'm happy with them. Originally considered the TSportlines, but they were out of stock last November and I decided to get a wheel that was fully forged.

I called Costco and they refused to mount tires on any wheel that is not OEM, even though they sell aftermarket wheels. This may vary by Costco locations though. I ended up going with Americas Tires (Discount Tires) and they will beat Costco's prices as long as you show them proof of what Costco is charging. The location I went to had their own set of jack pads. I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires.

For the TPMS, I bought a set of matte black ones from Amazon and they are working fine so far.

I went from the OEM 20" wheels to 18" Titan7 T-S5 wheels and I'm happy with them. Originally considered the TSportlines, but they were out of stock last November and I decided to get a wheel that was fully forged.

I called Costco and they refused to mount tires on any wheel that is not OEM, even though they sell aftermarket wheels. This may vary by Costco locations though. I ended up going with Americas Tires (Discount Tires) and they will beat Costco's prices as long as you show them proof of what Costco is charging. The location I went to had their own set of jack pads. I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires.

I called the local Costco in Arlington VA. They said they would not mount the tires on smaller wheels unless it is "recommended by the dealer." Since Tesla does not offer 18" wheels for M3P, it sounds consistent with what you were told.

I called the local Costco in Arlington VA. They said they would not mount the tires on smaller wheels unless it is "recommended by the dealer." Since Tesla does not offer 18" wheels for M3P, it sounds consistent with what you were told.

I spoke to two different Costcos and I was told the same thing from both of them. There was another forum member (can't remember the thread) who said the Costco they went to had no issues with it.

Go on Tesla Owners Online in the Model 3 modifications subforum, there's a thread on wheels and tires with great information. I've used that to choose my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 18". Mad Hungarian gives great advice based on how you order the various criteria. Hopefully pointing to another forum is not seen as bad here.