Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended Alignment Shop in Bay Area for Modified P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Eibach springs currently, with too much negative camber. Want to install MPP camber and toe arms but need to find a place I can trust to handle the alignment.

When I installed the springs I asked several local/chain shops and *none* of them would even touch the car. They all said I needed to go to Tesla (which is a bit asinine).

I went to BR Racing, who said they'd already done a Model 3. I think they know their stuff in general (the field several race cars) but they are really expensive and, considering almost nothing is adjustable with the factory hardware, they charge WAY too much to essentially adjust toe. I also don't feel comfortable bringing them a custom part like the MPP hardware, which requires "non standard" adjustment.

Does anyone know of a shop that can handle this in the SF Bay area? Preferably more South than North, I live in San Martin.

Thanks!

The drop is too low in the rear. I measured ground clearance at the jack points (which should be level) and the rear is about 1/4" lower than the front. I suspect they created a spring for one Model 3 variant (e.g. RWD or Dual Motor) and are trying to sell it for all variants, even though they list a unique part number for the P3D. The point being the total weight and weight distribution is quite different across the range. But that's just a guess.

To be fair, it's not horrible, the car looks fine. My main complaint is I can't get my jack under the rear lift point with a Jackpoint adapter, so it's a bit annoying. I have to jack the front or rear first, without an adapter, then use a second jack with the adapter to get the car up.

From the beginning, I planned to get coilovers anyway, the Eibachs were really just a stopgap solution to the excessive height of the stock car. The real issue is high speed damping on the Performance shocks is way too fast, regardless of spring.

I had my MPP coilovers and camber/toe arms installed by Griffin Motorwerk in Berkeley. They also did the
alignment in-house. I’ve got about 1k miles on mine and I really like them. Only issue is they aren’t south as you would prefer.

66DECB70-BFD4-43DF-B9BB-DA44FEA7D640.jpeg

Reactions: MountainPass
I've had my track car aligned by Roger Kraus in Castro Valley if you're looking for a specialty shop. They're a general-purpose race shop and more than likely willing to work on the car.

These days, I actually purchased a lifetime alignment from Firestone and get the work done at the Broadway location in Oakland. The manager there is willing to do custom alignments to my specs on my modified car. It's a great deal. I see no reason why a Tesla would be harder to align than any other car.

But the point of this thread is that it's not for OEM adjustment.
Yeah the question is who will touch a car with aftermarket control arms in the rear (camber and toe). The MPP adjusters appear to be dead simple, just turnbuckles, and probably limited cross-talk. I think the Firestone by me would do it, but it totally depends on the managers at your local shop. One of the managers at my local Firestone really doesn't like to do my custom alignments, but the other is cool with it.

A few of us P3 owners with MPP parts have gotten our alignments done by The Driveway in San Jose. I'm going there again later this week to get my alignment readjusted after I played around with the front suspension.

The Driveway - Fairgrounds - San Jose, CA

I second The Driveway in San Jose, I have both MPP toe and camber arm and Mike there knows how to work them.

• Helpful
Reactions: itskv and Bigtuna00
Got my alignment done today at The Driveway. Really nice guys, very thorough, they dialed everything in perfectly. Interestingly my front toe was way out of whack and I just had the car aligned after installing the Eibach springs at another shop that charged $380 for an alignment... :mad:

But I wholeheartedly recommend The Driveway, and thanks everyone for your input.