Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended annual service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has the pricing for the recommended annual service on the model three been announced yet?

I just had the 4 year annual service done on my model S. It’s about $920 with tax. The first three years are a little less - about $650 plus tax, if I recall correctly. Much of the money in gas savings are offset by these annual services. Many potential buyers are going to be unhappy if the Model 3 costs nearly this much.

Attachments

• D32F240C-18DD-49DE-97D4-CAAB99C49A20.jpeg
    D32F240C-18DD-49DE-97D4-CAAB99C49A20.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 365
Reactions: internalaudit
I noticed that too. Pretty sure they transposed the mileage in. Should’ve been 45097.

I’ve had quite a bit of warranty work done on my late 2013 MS. All at the Tampa service center. I have been very pleased with the quality and timeliness of their service. They have gone “above and beyond” a couple of times for me.

And I really enjoyed the brand new (600 mile) 100d service loaner I had for over a full day!

Has the pricing for the recommended annual service on the model three been announced yet?

I just had the 4 year annual service done on my model S. It’s about $920 with tax. The first three years are a little less - about $650 plus tax, if I recall correctly. Much of the money in gas savings are offset by these annual services. Many potential buyers are going to be unhappy if the Model 3 costs nearly this much.
what exactly is so friggin expensive about that service? the last big inspection of my MC e-class was "just" 350$ including some litres of oil......
A work/partslist would be interesting here.

The leaked preliminary Model 3 owners manual indicates that required service items are minimal. I believe brake fluid replacement (2 year interval), and coolant replacement (4 year interval) are the major items. Other items are the usual minor things that most shops and knowledgable owners could do.

Reactions: T34ME
what exactly is so friggin expensive about that service? the last big inspection of my MC e-class was "just" 350$ including some litres of oil......
A work/partslist would be interesting here.

I'm sure it's primarily a physical inspection checklist which makes it even more amazing that they charge the prices they do.

"real" things that cost money are that the brake fluid is supposed to be flushed every 2 years and every 3 or 4 years the battery coolant is supposed to be swapped. I imagine a $10 cabin air filter needs to be swapped or cleaned periodically.

One thing is for sure. Maintenance on a Tesla is going to be much higher than what many people expect from their "low TCO" Tesla.

Some have recommended simply not doing the Tesla maintenance. I imagine that then becomes a card Tesla can hold over one's head for anything that fails under warranty.

I have been driving the used Nissan leaf for a year and all I did was tire rotation-I believe Tesla is far better & efficient than leaf-it's gonna be shocking to cost a lot for annual service.

Why would it be shocking? We already know what they are charging for annual service on S and X.

What would be shocking is if they do an about-face and don't sell a pricey annual service plan or recommend annual inspections when they don't provide the ability for anyone but them to service the car.

Now if you really want to feel bad, compare the nearly $3,000 for 4 years of service on the S and compare it to 4 years of routine service on a BMW, Audi or Mercedes.

• Helpful
Reactions: 03DSG
Now if you really want to feel bad, compare the nearly $3,000 for 4 years of service on the S and compare it to 4 years of routine service on a BMW, Audi or Mercedes.
The 4 years of free maintenance on a BMW is nice, but maintenance is certainly not cheap after that if you bring it to the dealer.
I just brought my '06 325xi in to get the airbag swapped (recall) and they only flagged an additional $7500 in recommended maintenance.
The car is probably only worth $5500, so I'm trying to figure out what I can defer until I trade it in for a model 3!

The 4 years of free maintenance on a BMW is nice, but maintenance is certainly not cheap after that if you bring it to the dealer.
I just brought my '06 325xi in to get the airbag swapped (recall) and they only flagged an additional $7500 in recommended maintenance.
The car is probably only worth $5500, so I'm trying to figure out what I can defer until I trade it in for a model 3!

I still think it's a bit of a wash....

You have a nearly 12 year old car and the dealer is trying to rake you for $7500 of things it may or may not need.

With a Model S that would be 3 of the $850 maintenances and 9 of the $650 maintenances. So you would have spent $8,000 on just the routine service (which I'm guessing you didn't do on your BMW) as well as anything else that broke outside of warranty.

Every two years for brake fluid seems a little excessive. I swear Elon said something about service not being a profit center. I'm sure these prices look reasonable when you're worth billions. I find it ironic they are so anti dealership, but then they force this service monopoly on us. This really needs to stop. Tesla, please unleash the service manuals and parts, and let us and other qualified mechanics work on our cars. They are our cars, aren't they?

Last edited:
Tesla seems to be really milking owners on service. all that for $900 is a joke..

Of course it’s a joke. And I would never have done it - except it is required to keep the extended warranty in effect. Warranty repairs since new on my MS would have cost over $8k if out-of-warranty. And that doesn’t include the drive unit replacement that was done and is estimated to cost $18k.

The extended warranty is expensive, requires expensive annual services and still has a $200 per visit deductible. But if your heater and dc/dc converter fail ($3800) or the MCU screen ($4000) or the door handles ($800 each) or the on-board charger ($2400) you might easily recoup the cost. And each of the listed items, as well as several others, are well known failure points.

Last edited:
Of course it’s a joke. And I would never have done it - except it is required to keep the extended warranty in effect. Warranty repairs since new on my MS would have cost over $8k if out-of-warranty. And that doesn’t include the drive unit replacement that was done and is estimated to cost $18k.

The extended warranty is expensive, requires expensive annual services and still has a $200 per visit deductible. But if your heater and dc/dc converter fail ($3800) or the MCU screen ($4000) or the door handles ($800 each) you might easily recoup the cost. And each of the listed items, as well as several others, are well known failure points.

drive unit would be covered under the 8yr/unlimited.

also FYI, i dont have the annual services done on my P85 and i have the extended warranty and I have brought the car in a few times without any issues.

EDIT: i meant i dont have their recommended annual service done but I have taken care of the important parts of it