Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended best option for charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Juicebox Lv 2 charger at come for a prior EV. When I had the charger installed, I had an electrician that was mostly doing Tesla charger installs. If I remember right, the cable he had worked for Telsa higher need then what my charger could run but it is what he had and would be more future proof. We did a 50 amp breaker for my wall charger that can run 40 amps I think. I did instal a plug so I could also use it for a 240v welder.

I'm not sure if I'm better off going with the noble charger and it's lower charge rate, or get the wall charger. I don't have the size of wire he used anymore and my tools don't measure cable that big. It is a big run and I don't really want run a new line again and was thinking if that was the case I would just go with the mobile charge.

The other factor is that my wife is also buying an EV coming up. She does not think she will by. Tesla like me right now with the optics and is looking at a iD4 and and Mach-e. So, we are going to need two chargers. I figured should could use my exist charger and then I could use a better Tesla wall charger. Can you have the wall charger outdoors?

What would you recommend. Thanks.

That Juicebox one you have has a J1772 plug on it, which is the standard plug used by all other EVs. That's also the plug used at all the slower public charging stations. All Tesla cars do come with a small adapter that you can put on that to use it with Tesla cars. So yeah, just use it. And especially if you likely will end up with another EV that is a different brand, that is the most convenient way to do it if the cable will reach. Use the J1772 plug directly on the non-Tesla and use it with the adapter for the Tesla.

And yes, basically any wall mounted charging unit is intended to be used either inside or outside, so they are weather sealed.