Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended charging cables - 3 phase, 32 amp, type 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
I'm looking for recommendations for a Type 2, 32 amp 3-phase charging cable to use with my 2021 Model 3 for use with public and home charging. I want around 7.5m length, or 10m if that's all that's available. I'm particularly keen to get a high-quality one, that uses relatively lightweight cable and connectors. The car only came with a ~3.5m cable unfortunately (damn your pennypinching, Elon).

Has to be both 32 amp and 3 phase, so that I can get 11kW at 3-phase public stations, and charge at 7.4kW at home on single phase.

I've looked on a few online shops, such as EVConnectors, EVOneStop, EVCableShop, and Screwfix (they only had a Masterplug 5m), but a lot of the cables look like they use cheap components/cable that would fail easily (or not stand up to the Scottish weather). EVOneStop's seems to be a Rolec product, which I don't really trust given their track record with overheating RCBOs.

I like the look of the Metron and EVChargeKing ones that come with the Tesla radio command button, but am not sure if they're worth the extra price and customs hassles. Tesla's 7.5m Mennekes option seems reasonably priced but the cable is very thick, and it'd probably ship some time in 2025...

Thanks in advance.

i got this 7.5m one (3phase, 32amp, 7.5m long)

Out of stock here but it was the same brand as the one that came with the M3 (2019)

3 phase cable is thicker than the other single phase type 2 cables so is a bit heavier than those single phase ones.

Mennekes EV charging cable Type 2 22kW | Order now | nic-e Shop - In stock here but 30euro shipping

Reactions: CaptainBurrito
Try Tesla, they are great quality. Seems a bit more expensive than I remember but compared to some of the others mentioned isn't out of line

I've noticed that with my home charger too - single phase, but the voltage is closer to 250 than 230V, so I get nearly 8kW! A Brucie Bonus!

Nice! Our supply sits at about 250v too, which is handy because there's a very long run to our charge point so the voltage sag is quite noticeable ... if it was starting out at 230v it could be dropping out of spec when drawing 32amps!

Until it goes over 253V and your Garo cuts the power to the charge point until it settles down again! Roughly 4 days out of 7 this happens to me - still “in discussions” with my DNO about that …

My Zappi went through a period of triggering for high voltage and cutting itself off but when I checked with manufacturer I was advised to update firmware and it's never happened since. I can't be sure whether the Zappi was at fault or if there truly were high voltage issues on the mains.

Hi guys, bump for this thread. Qus further to the above from those with M3s...

1. Does the car still come with a T2 cable? (I thought not but might be mistaken)

2. Regarding T2 cable length - from a practical perspective is more than 5m ever really required? It's tempting to get a longer one 'just cause' and convince yourself that there might be a time when you have to park a bit further away from a charger maybe because you're ICEd out of the bay etc... but do people actually use their >5m cables and think "yeah glad i got this longer cable"...
(maybe splitting the difference and getting a 7.5m cable will make me sleep better... :p )

1. Does the car still come with a T2 cable? (I thought not but might be mistaken)

2. Regarding T2 cable length - from a practical perspective is more than 5m ever really required? It's tempting to get a longer one 'just cause' and convince yourself that there might be a time when you have to park a bit further away from a charger maybe because you're ICEd out of the bay etc... but do people actually use their >5m cables and think "yeah glad i got this longer cable"...
(maybe splitting the difference and getting a 7.5m cable will make me sleep better... :p )
1. I believe they still do.
2. I have a 7.5m as my 3/4m one broke. It helps a lot having that extra length. Especially when you need to charge and someone has either iced or used it as a parking spot because they have an EV. The extra length can help you reach the charger without parking in a weird way.

Tesla has ("had") in their shop a 7.5m Type 2 3P cable for £100 but they dont seem to be on sale there at the moment.

The cable you will get won't be 5m but more like 3 to 4 m

The 7,5m can be like wrestling with a snake "some times but not all".

:)

You get one with the car. Depends if you use public chargers frequently. I have hardly ever needed mine but when you do it’s important! Rapid chargers have tethered cables. I always recommend getting a tethered cable charge point for home.

I think my supplied cable is 4.5metres which hasn’t been a problem for me since 2019 but it depends on your needs.